Posted by: Bossman

Re: Yang style Tai Chi - 04/11/04 03:36 AM

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Lokkan-Do:
What can you tell me about his art?

Is it good for self-defense?

Does it teach healing?

Warm regards, Lok
[/QUOTE]

IF you can find a good instructor.... (and that's a BIG IF) it is an excellent fighting system and very good for self defence.

The Yang Family "exercises" and "form" are excellent for promoting your own health and any "healing" done to others is via "personal correction" or "chap sau" from Sifu to student enabling them to improve their health through the system.
Posted by: Bossman

Re: Yang style Tai Chi - 04/11/04 10:17 AM

I think the best site to go to for research is Peter Lim's at:
http://sunflower.singnet.com.sg/~limttk/index.htm
Posted by: kenposan

Re: Yang style Tai Chi - 05/02/04 09:43 PM

As with any martial art, it is only as good as

a) the instructor
b) the student

I am not a Yang practioner but have recently started with Ch'ang T'ai Chi, a very martialy oriented style. It is based in Yang so I assume Yang is good for self defense (if you find an instructor who teaches it that way).
Posted by: Kempoman

Re: Yang style Tai Chi - 05/03/04 11:28 AM

[QUOTE]Originally posted by kenposan:

I am not a Yang practioner but have recently started with Ch'ang T'ai Chi, a very martialy oriented style.
[/QUOTE]

Great style, who with? Anything that GM Ch'ang taught is 'Gold Jerry Gold!'
Posted by: kenposan

Re: Yang style Tai Chi - 05/25/04 09:36 PM

I study with Master Mollica. Great system. I have studied karate for 10 years and feel like Tai chi has opened up a whole new world
Posted by: kronin

Re: Yang style Tai Chi - 12/21/05 05:54 PM

Quote:

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Lokkan-Do:
What can you tell me about his art?

Is it good for self-defense?

Does it teach healing?

Warm regards, Lok
[/QUOTE]

IF you can find a good instructor.... (and that's a BIG IF) it is an excellent fighting system and very good for self defence.

The Yang Family "exercises" and "form" are excellent for promoting your own health and any "healing" done to others is via "personal correction" or "chap sau" from Sifu to student enabling them to improve their health through the system.

Iīve been doing the Yang Short form for more than 11 years. It is very good for your health. I havenīt taken Yang Tai Chi as a martial art. It takes very long before you learn to use it for self defense, even though it strengthens your body a lot, which helps you defend yourself. I have been practicing Karate for several years. Everything from combat karate to Jun Bao Kenpo, which prepare you to defend yourself rather quickly. I never felt that I had to use Yang Tai Chi for that, so I never went that far with the Martial Arts aspect.