chi kung

Posted by: shotoken

chi kung - 11/11/03 05:26 PM

I am starting to learn chi kung atm also known as qi gong aswell i think, anyway, how long will it take roughly doing the stances such as wu chi to feel the result of the flowing energy and how long will it take to control it?
you'll probs say depends on you but could you give me rough times, thanks
Posted by: Fisherman

Re: chi kung - 11/12/03 06:59 AM

Depends on two things:
1. Quality of instruction
2. How much you practice

Things to remember that may help speed things along:
- Relax with intent - not wet noodle relaxed. If you feel tension building, STOP, do something to loosen up and then start again. Relaxation cannot be over emphasized. If you move with tension it's like trying to drive with an emergency brake on.
- Make sure that the body structure is properly aligned - the less muscular force used = more free circulation of chi
- DON'T RUSH - it will take a while to correct your posture and open channels in which chi flows
- All in all, w/ good instruction and practice you may begin to 'feel' things within at least 6 months to 1 year. Be diligent and RELAX RELAX RELAX. After a few yaers in kung fu, relaxation has been the most difficult thing for me to acheive.
Good luck
Chris
Posted by: Bossman

Re: chi kung - 11/12/03 03:25 PM

It's one of those paradoxes (sp?) that the fact you have to ask means that you won't find it easy.....
Posted by: karate-do

Re: chi kung - 11/14/03 04:55 PM

Does anyone think it is possible to learn chi kung properly withought instruction eg a book, im intrested in internal arts but although they are very popular there are none in my area.
Posted by: Fisherman

Re: chi kung - 11/19/03 06:39 AM

karate-do
Look around dude; you are in wales... are you kidding, there are hordes of taiji and qigong instructors around you. I suggest that a book might give you some insight on internal arts, but will not substitute for qualified instruction.
Posted by: wingchun

Re: chi kung - 11/19/03 07:43 AM

old chinese sang about enlightenment: study as usual takes 5 years study every day takes 10 years study all the time takes 20 years. Its funny to me because their is the intital study portion in the first 2 years or so and then you just let go! and it comes beautifully.
Posted by: JohnL

Re: chi kung - 11/19/03 03:21 PM

[QUOTE]Originally posted by wingchun:
old chinese sang about enlightenment: study as usual takes 5 years study every day takes 10 years study all the time takes 20 years. Its funny to me because their is the intital study portion in the first 2 years or so and then you just let go! and it comes beautifully.[/QUOTE]

And if after 20 years, you don't feel enlightened, they'll say, Ahh, but you didn't train hard enough!!!

What a crock.

JohnL