Hsing I and Karate

Posted by: Anonymous

Hsing I and Karate - 06/19/03 01:23 AM

Hey, I'm getting myself interested in TCM, injury care and prevention, and the kung fu Hsing I. Right now, I was wondering if anyone had any good resources (online, books) for learning the basics of the basics of Hsing I.

I'm not wishing to become a master of said style, nor do I wish to be able to profess a certain degree of proficiency in it, I'd just like to learn it for myself.

Thanks in advance.
Posted by: Dauragon

Re: Hsing I and Karate - 07/11/03 07:29 PM

I messed up this post, what I meant to say is in the post below

-so sorry

[This message has been edited by Dauragon (edited 07-12-2003).]
Posted by: Scholar

Re: Hsing I and Karate - 07/11/03 10:25 PM

My book on ""Hsing I Chinese Mind-Body Boxing" is by Robert W. Smith KODANSHA INTERNATIONAL Publisher for US Harper and Row Copyright Japan 1974. Another good book is "Taikiken".
Basic Techniques is "Splitting,Crushing,Drilling,Pounding,and Crossing" Also note that Qi Gong Energy Training involves "Standing Zen" especially "San Ti" Stance. (Similar in that to Tai Chi standing practice of Postures)
PS What is with this ego trip and misdirection , a teacher is best but Self Study has it's place I believe. The idea that movements done incorrectly is harmful to organs I believe is more laying a "Rap" on you that for the most part is overblown. I could be wrong but I believe I'm right. As far as Standing Practice I don't think many invest the time to explore what "others can't be told but must be experienced oneself". If you do, write in energy section for help perhaps.
Posted by: Dauragon

Re: Hsing I and Karate - 07/12/03 08:19 AM

I appologise.
I posted late at night and mis-read the 1st post and didn't realise how bad (and abrupt) and unhelpful It sounded until this morning (My 1st post in this thread that is, not your post Vash).

another good book on Hsing-i (although it is not exclusively about Hsing-i) is "The power of the internal martial arts" by Bruce Kumar Frantzis

It does contain a lot about it (the 5 elements, techiques and training San Ti/gazing, the animal forms etc and is worth looking into imho (B.K. Frantzis is a Hsing-i master) just like me [IMG]http://www.fightingarts.com/forums/ubb/tongue.gif[/IMG] (just kidding)

It is better to find a class if poss though

[This message has been edited by Dauragon (edited 07-13-2003).]
Posted by: Kempoman

Re: Hsing I and Karate - 11/25/03 01:04 PM

You can not and will not learn Hsing I chuan from a book. Where do you live and I will recommend an instructor.

Scott