Tai Chi/Qi Gong for Health . . .

Posted by: Anonymous

Tai Chi/Qi Gong for Health . . . - 12/30/01 04:05 PM

Hello all, I need some help.

I am looking into both Tai Chi and Qi Gong with the hope of improving my physical and spiritual condition. Unfortunately, I live in the South (NO, you're thinking too high. Look Lower. LOWER. Okay, your about 100 miles north . . . forget it . . ) and there are only two dojos that I know of; Isshinryu and ATA Tae Kwon Do. I am a member at the Isshinryu dojo, and have had terrible experience with ATA. To add to this, neither teaches internal/external energy martial arts.

If anyone could give me any advice/links, I would be indebted.

[IMG]http://www.fightingarts.com/forums/ubb/wink.gif[/IMG] Thanks in advance! [IMG]http://www.fightingarts.com/forums/ubb/wink.gif[/IMG]
Posted by: Mal Wagner

Re: Tai Chi/Qi Gong for Health . . . - 12/31/01 09:32 AM

Hi Vash,

I live in Louisiana and also study Isshinryu. How long have you studied the art? The reason I ask is that I consider the Sanchin form to be both an internal and external energy cultivation. Have you began your study of Sanchin yet.

On another note, I also felt that more attention should be paid to internal energy, so I began studying Kundalini Yoga in addition to karate; they compliment each other well. If you live close to Hammond, feel free to come by the Dojo on Wednesdays @ 6P.M. for a free introduction to Yoga. We can also work on some Isshinryu or Jiu-Jitsu if you like.

Mal Wagner (mal112@hotmail.com)

Re: Tai Chi/Qi Gong for Health . . . - 01/01/02 07:18 PM

Thanks for the reply!

I've studied Isshinryu for about two years now.

Sensei introduced me to Sanchin kata about 4 months into my training. I've loved it since. I do it every morning (in addition to my regular routine and the new Qi Gong set I learned, Jade Body). I find I usually have more energy after doing this kata, am able to focus more easily, and am in higher spirits the entire day.

I live close to Junction City, Arkansas/Louisiana. Do you know how far from there Hammond is?

Thanks in advance.

Re: Tai Chi/Qi Gong for Health . . . - 01/02/02 07:31 AM

Vash,

You are hell and gone from Hammond. Look for Baton Rouge on the map then start moving east, you will run into Hammond. Who do you study under? You are closer to Harvey Kennedy in Shreveport than you are to me.

Keep running Sanchin every morning, you will find out that it is moving meditation and can be used to put your mind into any mode you need. More energy like you already found out, combat application, body conditioning, increased lung-capacity.

Maybe one day we can get together.

Take care,
Mal Wagner

Re: Tai Chi/Qi Gong for Health . . . - 01/02/02 12:05 PM

I am under Sensei Reece Sullivan, San Dan.

I've been down to Sensei Kennedy's once during a tournament. Didn't get to meet him though ;(

Speaking of Sanchin, do you know any bunkai to it, or perhaps a place where I could go to find some?

Thanks in advance.

Re: Tai Chi/Qi Gong for Health . . . - 01/03/02 07:30 AM

I believe the main combat-application for Sanchin is to learn to root, block (strike), and strike at the same time. Also to learn to align the spine through proper pelvic-carriage movement.

I also like to think of bunkai for kata while I am lying on my back. The circular movements at the end of the kata are wonderful for countering a choke while standing or with the opponent mounted on top of you, then the high/low open-hand strikes are to the neck and groin. Can you see it?

Sensei Advincula (best kata-man in the business---IMO) has a new set of tapes out with all empty hand kata and bunkai, contact me privately if you want ordering info.

Mal112@hotmail.com
Posted by: Brewer

Re: Tai Chi/Qi Gong for Health . . . - 01/11/02 11:07 PM

Hello Vash,
Check out ( Qi journal links page)I believe this will help.
Your Brother in the Arts
P.S.
If you want something else let me know I will help you look for it.

Re: Tai Chi/Qi Gong for Health . . . - 04/29/02 10:30 AM

Where is the best place online to find videos of Qi Gong sets?

I've been practicing the Jade Body set for about three months and I need to see if everything's being done right. Plus, I'd like to get a few more sets to help me out.

Thanks in advance.
Posted by: Scholar

Re: Tai Chi/Qi Gong for Health . . . - 03/07/03 05:19 AM

Tai Chi and Tai Chi Qi Gong; The Tao of Tai Chi Chuan by Jou, Tsung Hwa. Also note work Dr. Yang, Jwing Ming. Note my post secret sounds for question about Heng/Inhale?
Posted by: swords

Re: Tai Chi/Qi Gong for Health . . . - 05/22/03 07:30 PM

go to jadebody compass.com