Striking energy in AKK

Posted by: MattJ

Striking energy in AKK - 10/02/07 06:42 PM

With apologies for multiple posting, I was interested to see how the IMA community here regards the technique in this video. Would this demonstrator be considered to have strong "chi"? For an AKK guy, his explanations (on this video) are a bit vague.

Would this be a good example of "internal" technique?

http://www.fightingarts.com/ubbthreads/s...ue#Post15935144
Posted by: eyrie

Re: Striking energy in AKK - 10/02/07 11:44 PM

chi smee...

He's fast, I'll give him that. But....

It would have been FAR more impressive without the windup... and if he didn't target a PP.

It's really hard to tell just by looking. You really need to be on the receiving end and feel it.
Posted by: Ed_Morris

Re: Striking energy in AKK - 10/03/07 12:39 AM

as eyrie says, "chi shmee".

I'd have to see him really hit something. but he's fast and heavy, so it probably hurts all the same. might have heard this before, but why is he slapping himself? to make it sound more dramatic? I would think thats a bad habit to form.
Posted by: Neko456

Re: Striking energy in AKK - 10/03/07 11:48 AM

What I notice was yes that big guy was fast and really fast for a big man, I also noticed that the thinner ukes fell like flies, but notice the shorter but stout uke. Who did not seemed fazed by all these fast moves and strikes, maybe he wasn't hitting as hard as it appears when the size is similar.

I also notice the slapping of his chest while striking seemed for dramatics, and I've always thought it could be another strike toward the opponent, like a 1-2.

On the + I like the open hand usage and various hand formations, and believe because the strikes are done with short motions they look fast, but lack the power of the strikes with more torque. I like the stomping and body torquing done to produce short range power. But wonder how much more power would be produced with more hip or driving from the floor. Shaolin looks a little like that but they drive more with their hips from what I observed.

Big, fast, old guy on doubt, impressive to say the least at 60 year old, I'd like to see his DL.

Re: Chi in BJJ? - 11/02/07 08:52 PM

A different example -

http://www.fightingarts.com/ubbthreads/s...=4#Post15923030

Would Genki's form be an example of high level internal technique? If not, what is it lacking?
Posted by: Ed_Morris

Re: Chi in BJJ? - 11/02/07 10:22 PM

what is it lacking? ummm...clothing and strikes?

Re: Chi in BJJ? - 11/23/07 10:40 AM

Bump?
Posted by: Stormdragon

Re: Chi in BJJ? - 11/26/07 06:38 PM

What the heck does bump mean? I've wodnered that from day one.
Posted by: laf7773

Re: Chi in BJJ? - 11/29/07 06:49 AM

"bump" the discussion back to the top so it doesn't die out or leave the first page and can still be seen.