Chi///qi///kiai--------

Posted by: nosword

Chi///qi///kiai-------- - 05/09/05 12:04 AM

is daily practice of a martial art the only way to develop true ki power?
how does one generate the force that comes from within, and overpowers all opponents?
i meditate, i lift weights, i run, i stretch. i am not weak, and yet i see someone whom i would dismiss as a non-threat (at first glance) shatter a 4x4 with two fingers. that power cannot be gained from lifting iron. how can i increse my reservoir of internal power, and then use it with utmost effectiveness?
Posted by: laf7773

Re: Chi///qi///kiai-------- - 05/09/05 12:15 AM

Although you may not get the results you might think you will, your best bet is to find a legitimate internal martial arts instructor or take up yoga, qigong or look into some of the holistic healing arts. Direct transmission is the only way.
Posted by: Sanchin

Re: Chi///qi///kiai-------- - 05/09/05 11:38 AM

Quote:

Although you may not get the results you might think you will, your best bet is to find a legitimate internal martial arts instructor or take up yoga, qigong or look into some of the holistic healing arts. Direct transmission is the only way.

Thats an awful hard thing to do : / ... ive been interested in studying tai chi seriously, but im left to my own devices 1) no tai chi class here, 2) legit tai chi teachers are rare. good luck.
Posted by: BaguaMonk

Re: Chi///qi///kiai-------- - 05/09/05 04:43 PM

Yup. Get some books, any of Yang Jwin Mings books are great. You can't learn from them (well you could, but I don't recommend), but it will help in your understanding of these things. Study body mechanics, and internal power.
Posted by: laf7773

Re: Chi///qi///kiai-------- - 05/09/05 05:33 PM

Sanchin,

There are always alternatives. Tai Chi isn't the only IMA. You could look into hsing-i and bagua also. There is a tai chi school not too far from your area in Vestal. I can't vouch for them but it is something to check out. Yoga and tai chi are very popular for health these days so they seem to be most everywhere. Unfortunately the quality tends to be much lower.

I have to disagree with baguamonk here. Books will do you little good. They can help you understand more about the arts history and focus but will do very little for actual training. Direct transmission is imperative in the IMAs. It's important in any art but there are subtleties in the structure and connectivity that you will need to be shown and corrected when learning an IMA that you can not get from books and videos.

If there is just nothing close to you then you may have to do a little traveling, depending on how important it is to you. I have yet to see a city or town that doesn't have something within an hours drive. You just have to get creative in your search. Not all legit instructors have an actual school. Many prefer to keep things small and just run study groups, they don't advertise but they can be found.
Posted by: BaguaMonk

Re: Chi///qi///kiai-------- - 05/09/05 06:58 PM

?

I said I didn't recommend learning from books didn't I? I just said it because it helps you understand principles etc. if you have previous experience with internal training. I learn a great deal from books/videos from people like Erle Montagiue but thats because I have extensive training before, and I have current training to supplement it. They can give you insight into what you want to do/don't want to do, and help you understand what you are currently training in. That is all.