keep looking

Posted by: Anonymous

keep looking - 04/22/05 10:25 AM

One approaches a zen teacher, with the idea of looking for a teacher.

The response is "Good luck in your search" or "keep looking".

Is this reply a kiss-off....or a zen gimmick? (or something else?)

Thanks for any insights.

Re: keep looking - 04/22/05 10:31 AM

You have to be your own teacher. The point of the story i think is that if you are looking for a great master to turn you into a master or give you enlightenment, it won't happen.

You have to commit to yourself that you will search inside yourself for the answers, for a zen master can only point the way, and his way is different then your way, and both ways are unique.

Re: keep looking - 04/22/05 10:44 AM

I cannot teach you, I can only help you to learn.

Do not seek the paths of great men, seek what they sought.

Sound bites/quotes help me to not have to think [IMG]http://www.fightingarts.com/forums/ubb/smile.gif[/IMG]

Joel

Re: keep looking - 04/22/05 10:45 AM

Thank you for the reply. It is not a story...it is what happened to me.

Scratching my head here. If you have questions about the process of sitting, about the stuff that happens, or even kensho...you answer your own questions?

In the zen tradition then...there are no teachers...no external guides?

[This message has been edited by harlan (edited 04-22-2005).]

Re: keep looking - 04/22/05 11:10 AM

It is traditonal to be turned away. Traditonaly an applicant comes to a temple and requests to become a student. He is welcomed, maybe fed, then turned away. If he is sincere he will not leave. It is usually a matter of days that he must sit outside the gates before the polite brush off turns into an invitation.

Re: keep looking - 04/22/05 01:22 PM

[QUOTE]Originally posted by oldman:
It is traditonal to be turned away. Traditonaly an applicant comes to a temple and requests to become a student. He is welcomed, maybe fed, then turned away. If he is sincere he will not leave. It is usually a matter of days that he must sit outside the gates before the polite brush off turns into an invitation.[/QUOTE]

For the younger crowd: It's just like joining 'fight club' ...minus the polite part. [IMG]http://www.fightingarts.com/forums/ubb/wink.gif[/IMG]