Interval Medidation

Posted by: Anonymous

Interval Medidation - 04/06/05 09:50 AM

In my own practice, I medidate in intervals. That way I am getting intensity of concentration in a given time period before allowing my mind to relax. While I stay in medidative posture the whole time, It would be something like 2-3 minutes sensing energy in the body, and then 2-3 minutes just relaxing letting the mind go, then back to intense concentration (or at least attempting intense concentration [IMG]http://www.fightingarts.com/forums/ubb/biggrin.gif[/IMG]).

I stumbled upon this method, because I meditate with the goal of sensing chi and energy flows in my body. When you feel something new its easy to get excited and lose focus, rather than get upset with myself, i thought i'd focus until I couldn't contain my thoughts...wait a little bit and try again. Over time I was able to lengthen the concentration time...

Is there any sort of fromalized meditative training that encourages the use of intervals?

Anybody have any thoughts/questions/feedback?
Posted by: nenipp

Re: Interval Medidation - 04/06/05 10:10 AM

Hey MrEd, I'd call that quiet qigong, not meditation. Well it doesn't matter what one calls it, does it? It sounds like a good idea to me.

Re: Interval Medidation - 04/06/05 10:22 AM

Hey nenipp,

I'd call it "the path that keeps me from getting bored".

For years when I was younger I would try to medidate without much success. It was then that I realized I wasn't doing much but sitting down and breathing. not making any progress was boring and frustrating.

I had to look deeper inside the workings of my body. Instead of just noting that i was breathing, i had to follow my breath, or make my breath follow me. By becoming one with those functions and feelings you can slowly disassociate from them, if that makes any sense?

With qigong medidation, i don't have an ultimate goal in mind, but i am walking down a path wherease before I was sort of sitting not moving wandering which way to go!

Re: Interval Medidation - 04/06/05 10:41 AM

Ed,
Taisen Deshimaru's book "The Zen Way To The Martial Arts" he has a chapter entitled "Directing the Mind". In it he says," Lifes problems are different for each of us and each of us needs a different way to solve them. Therefore each of us has to create his own method. If you imitate, you'll be wrong. You have to create for yourself".

Good luck with your exploration.

Re: Interval Medidation - 04/06/05 11:01 AM

Oldman,

Definitely good advice. I wasn't trying to imply that my way was the right or only way, Hopefully you didn't interpert it that way.

Looking back at my post I can see how it may have appeared I was implying other methods were boring or not useful. I definitely don't believe that is true. Like you, I think something is valuable if you find value in it.

I was just sharing part of my journey thus far from how I felt as a teenager till now, and was wondering if anyone had any similar experiences.

[IMG]http://www.fightingarts.com/forums/ubb/biggrin.gif[/IMG]
Ed

Re: Interval Medidation - 04/06/05 11:16 AM

Ed,
I didn't perceive any arrogance on your part at all. My comment was simply to aknowledge what you are already doing.