flashbacks

Posted by: Anonymous

flashbacks - 11/17/04 04:20 PM

hello, lately i've been getting some really bad flashbacks from the past.. like bad memories from my past.. and i cant seem to get rid of them.. they've been ruining my day! everyday!.. i asked my aikido sensei.. he told me to just sit down.. relax. and sorta think about it in silence.. and sort of battle them in your head.. dont open your eyes until you have defeated them! sometimes im deperate enough to try them.. and sometimes i think its a load of crap.. can anyone help me out?

Re: flashbacks - 11/17/04 10:38 PM

damn! i think what you need is a psychologist. try to find someone expert on the matter, for you to undergo counselling. you must know the reasons why things that are hidden in your subconsciuos are coming back. i think sone events happened to you open it all up again.

Re: flashbacks - 12/11/04 08:05 PM

I would suggest either doing wat ur sensei says or just force yourself to think of something else and if that doesnt work i would suuges seeing a psychologist. Or if u can find an old zen master he could probaly help too (lol) but maybe a book on zen might help im not sure.
Posted by: Akiba

Re: flashbacks - 12/13/04 07:15 AM

Its highly probable that the very movements you are practicing in Aikido are bringing these issues to the surface and releasing them for you. You need to learn to let go. (easier said than done)

If you simply attempt to focus upon them then you are allowing them to contiue to cloud your mind.

Flashbacks are quite common signs of deep rooted tensions releasing from the body/soul.

This is not mystical mumbo jumbo, but based in fact. Akido is a flowing and intuitive art and therefore its movements stem from healing and not fighting. In some way these flashbacks are a good sign that you are progressing (even though it may seem like you are not)

Another person may be able to help you and they don't need to be a pro; as they shouldn't be offering advice but simply listening. You already know what you want.

May your ill wind pass swiftly
Akiba

Re: flashbacks - 12/14/04 07:19 AM

Flashbacks are a very serious symptom. Only you know your own history and good sense would have guided you not to disclose all in a general inquiry. If your flashbacks come from any kind of Post Traumatic Stress Disorder type of reaction, or if you know or suspect that you are an assault survivor, then you should see a psychiatrist. The problem will interfere with your training, but more importantly, it will interfere with your life. There are many other symptoms besides flashbacks that you could develop. If the problem doesn't stop quickly on it's own, get help.

Re: flashbacks - 12/20/04 02:02 PM

BAMA REDNECK9000 i tried your idea about forcing myself to think of something else.. it seems to be working fine.. i am progressing better in my life and in aikido! thanks everyone for all ur help!

shaabangbang
Posted by: schanne

Re: flashbacks - 12/22/04 02:29 PM

Be the water not the rock. Try not to focus on one particular thing. Let it go and something else will pop in your mind and then let that go too. Your bad thoughts are like the rock that on't move, you can't remove it from your mind. Your going to have to learn to let it go and concentrate on the "no mind" meditation............it's a Zen thing.