how do i clear my mind?

Posted by: Anonymous

how do i clear my mind? - 10/07/04 05:08 AM

i was just wondering how people clear their mind, i have tried to absolutely focus on not being focused ( if that makes any sense!), but fail every time. can anyone help me with this? if you could it would be much appreciated.

Re: how do i clear my mind? - 10/07/04 07:01 AM

well you could try turning all the lights out in the room and focasing on your mind thats what i do

Re: how do i clear my mind? - 10/08/04 01:02 PM

Try focusing on one thing first. I find the easiest way to clear my mind is to DO something. run, fish, build something.....getting from focusing on many things down to one is hard, once you get that, then you can do one to none a little easier [IMG]http://www.fightingarts.com/forums/ubb/smile.gif[/IMG]

alternatively, try focusing on two things at the same time...i think its been proven scientifcally that the brain can't recevie thoughst well focusing on two spacetime points at once.....
Posted by: kenposan

Re: how do i clear my mind? - 10/10/04 09:07 PM

Unless you have a lot of experience in meditation, jumping straight to the 'clear my mind' thing is tough.

I have found that having a focus works best for me. It can be a mantra, or for me, counting breaths. There are couple variations on that:

Count on inhale (1) and exhale (2) or count the inhalation and exhalation as one. Either way, don't attemtpt to control your breath, just be aware of it and count. Count to ten and then start at one again. When your mind wanders off, note that it wandered and begin counting at one again.

This has proven to be the simplest and best meditation technique for me.

Re: how do i clear my mind? - 12/07/04 02:35 AM

what ido to clear my mind before meditation is close my eyes and then try and become more aware of my surroundings by using my other senses, smell, hearing, trying to pay attention to any temperature changes in the room.

this may be seen as another form of meditation but this is simply what i do to clear my mind before my actual meditation.