Meditation and Brain Structure

Posted by: oldman

Meditation and Brain Structure - 06/17/08 08:28 AM

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/life_and_style/health/article3554215.ece
Posted by: MattJ

Re: Meditation and Brain Structure - 06/17/08 08:40 AM

Interesting article, Mark. I have noted similar feelings afterwards, when I play drums. I have also felt very irritable if I was not able to play when I felt like I needed to. Maybe playing music is meditative.

Maybe any activity that requires simultaneous concentration/immersion results in a meditative state? Sparring also gets that for me.
Posted by: harlan

Re: Meditation and Brain Structure - 06/17/08 08:45 AM

Funny how scientists have to leave their 'safe place' in order to examine this. A recent article in a magazine I have discusses how Buddhism morphs when it travels to different cultures...and wonders if the fields of Psychiatry, and Neurobiology, is where it will 'fit' in our current Western culture.

I suppose looking at 'prayer' in our own backyard would be a career-ender for any 'serious' scientist.
Posted by: Ed_Morris

Re: Meditation and Brain Structure - 06/17/08 11:47 PM

don't want to start a sceptical tone (yeah I do), but I wonder what the results would be for people who nap instead of meditate.

my personal preference - I've meditated in the morning for an hour over a period of time. what I found is that a 1 hour AM meditation doesn't liven, sharpen or brighten my day any more (actually, less) than a cup of coffee and breakfast with the kids to start the day. In fact, I feel much better doing the latter.
Want psudo-studies? oh, we got psudo-studies
http://latimesblogs.latimes.com/booster_shots/2008/06/drinking-up-the.html

I've also engaged in after-work meditation over a period of time. What I've found from that is, if given the comparrison between a 1 hour nap or 1 hour of meditation, again I feel much more energized to continue the evening.
http://www.dailynewstranscript.com/lifes...just-for-babies

AM coffee + 1 hour PM nap. = more energy frees up the already limited time to spend with wife and kids.

btw, brain structure is always changing... I think if a study was done to compare stress reduction and brain structure/patterns of 30-60 minutes of meditation vs. a 30-60 minute nap - the nap would win significantly.

it's just not as culturally accepted, since it's regarded as either lazy or associated with advanced age....plus, more importantly, nobody can make money teaching napping classes - but there are plenty of meditation instructors.

what happens naturally to some, if not most in a meditation class? they fall asleep and the 'instructor' is there to either talk or gently nudge to stimulate the meditating student prior to them blowing into a full snore. let them sleep! they'll feel energized when they wake up and they will attribute it to the 'deep meditation state' that they were obviously doing correctly, since they feel better.

for true relaxation, take a nap. it cost nothing and you don't need to be trained.
...so nobody can ever say: "it doesn't work because you aren't doing it right. if you pay me, I'll show you the right way."

think I'll start a " '08 Napping seminar tour " and write a new book: "Napping...for dummies" (which comes with a free travel pillow)

probaly make millions, since my special method produces RESULTS!

lol
Posted by: harlan

Re: Meditation and Brain Structure - 06/18/08 07:02 AM

Well...since you brought up the disparity. Perhaps you suck at meditation?
Posted by: Ed_Morris

Re: Meditation and Brain Structure - 06/19/08 01:15 AM

or perhaps I'm just lazy?
Posted by: JasonM

Re: Meditation and Brain Structure - 06/19/08 08:34 AM

Quote:

AM coffee + 1 hour PM nap. = more energy frees up the already limited time to spend with wife and kids.

I agree with the above equation. :-)

But in the evening it is cold beer + nap = more beer drinking.
Posted by: MattJ

Re: Meditation and Brain Structure - 06/19/08 08:44 AM

http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2007/08/070816111752.htm