Holographic nature of reality

Posted by: jkdwarrior

Holographic nature of reality - 05/19/08 09:57 PM

http://www.crystalinks.com/holographic.html

Hi, I was just wondering what others thought about this idea. It's quite long, but it's something I've never heard of until recently and there certainly seems to be some evidence for it.

If it is true, then it would correlate well with what all these yogis and enlightened masters say.
Posted by: MattJ

Re: Holographic nature of reality - 05/20/08 08:43 AM

While I can see the "holographic" idea of reality, the article loses me when starting to imply that quantum effects produce magical results at the macro level. This seems like more New-Age tripe trying to use quantum science to explain magic, God, the "uni-mind", etc.

I do agree that quantum science is very hard to understand, and we know very little about it yet. But magic, etc? More likely is that human perception is easily decieved, although it doesn't seem like it. And no one likes to admit it!

Re: Holographic nature of reality - 05/20/08 12:31 PM

Thats exactly my view. There doesn't seem to be a definite answer, but I don't think it's God.

In a meditative state though, just picturing the whole world including myself as an illusion, seems to bring on that awareness and relaxation I'm aiming for.
Posted by: ThomsonsPier

Re: Holographic nature of reality - 05/20/08 01:27 PM

I've heard the theory before, but not the rather creative spin on it that allows for spoon bending. As there's no verifiable experiment that can be done to decide things one way or the other then it remains little more than intriguing philosophy.
Posted by: fileboy2002

Re: Holographic nature of reality - 05/30/08 01:29 AM

People have been drawing parallels between modern physics and Eastern mysticim for years. The concensus among physicists seems to be that the supposed "similarities" are contrived and superficial. Science is not WHAT we know, but a way of knowing. Mysticism may also be a way of knowing, but a very different way than science.
Posted by: Borrek

Re: Holographic nature of reality - 05/30/08 09:09 AM

The thing that was entirely glossed over is that the source of all holographs is an actual physical object. It is amazing that any portion of the reflected laser or holographic projection contains the information for the whole image, BUT the big thing is that the information it contains is about an actual physical object.

So, that leads to the point that if the universe is holographic in nature, then somewhere there must be a physical universe from which we gathered all of the information.

Another thing not discussed in the articles main point of subatomic particles communicating over space, is that the only particles that communicate (and by communicate they mean have an identical spin state no matter where they are) are subatomic particles of matter and their corresponding anti-matter. For example Electron A has the same spin as Proton A which was formed at their inception. Electron A does not have the same spin state as Electron B, and it seems like this is what the author was implying.

Re: Holographic nature of reality - 05/30/08 08:57 PM

Quote:

So, that leads to the point that if the universe is holographic in nature, then somewhere there must be a physical universe from which we gathered all of the information.

Or more dimensions that we are simply not aware of. String theory suggests that there are as many as 11 other dimensions.