A newbie's pathetic attempt at 1st time meditation

Posted by: Aegishjalmur

A newbie's pathetic attempt at 1st time meditation - 03/26/08 12:01 AM

I have really no training in eastern martial arts, and the whole concept of meditation is a little foreign to me, however I am the kind of person who never looks down on a practice due to its place of origin.

Show this is how it went.

I stretched a bit as I was about to to seated meditation and need to get comfortable. I sat alone in a quite room with the lights dimmed and did my best to clear my mind of distracting thoughts.

I falied miserably...I mean you could not imagine the storm that evidently is raging in my thick skull. it was as if someone took an mp3 player and played a song looping only a specific portion of an overplayed song, mixed with whinning people, and a constant buzzing hum. I even tried to focus on counting breaths and focusing on a single word....

NO LUCK.

So I ask is there a good way to clear one's mind. Heck, I realize it isn't easy and if all it takes is constant practice, heck, i'll put in the work, but if there are strategies for better wyas to do this...please fill me in.

Thanks,

Aegishjalmur
Posted by: Novum

Re: A newbie's pathetic attempt at 1st time medita - 03/26/08 12:23 AM

I'm far from an authority on the subject for sure, but maybe try actually playing soft music while you meditate. I know for me, it helps to have something to idly focus on and gradually wane into a relaxed and meditative state. *inputs two cents*

Re: A newbie's pathetic attempt at 1st time medita - 03/26/08 12:33 AM

Thanks for your $.02.....I'll give it a try.
Posted by: sopredictable

Re: A newbie's pathetic attempt at 1st time meditation - 03/26/08 05:21 AM

There is no such thing as 'failure' in meditation, especially the first time.

Your brain is always working and you can't just expect to be able to turn it off the first time you meditate. Focusing on your breath is a good start, but also see yourself as an observer. Don't fix your mind on stopping your thoughts. Have them, see them and let them pass.

Oh,and.......practice again and again and again and then some

Re: A newbie's pathetic attempt at 1st time meditation - 03/26/08 03:21 PM

Perhaps I was hindered because I'm stressed...I do have a busy college schedule and it's not easy to put out all these worries from my conscious mind. Damn, I need to relax before I can even relax...
Posted by: jkdwarrior

Re: A newbie's pathetic attempt at 1st time medita - 03/26/08 06:17 PM

Try a guided meditation or visualisation. This can help you to achieve a relaxed state quickly. It is important though, to be able to achieve focus on your own.
Like sopredictable said, focusing on the breath is a good start. Progressive Muscle Relaxation is another good way. You'll probably find places in your body that you are tensing unnessecarily. Just start at the top of your head and focus on all of your body parts down to your toes. Spend 5-10 seconds on each body part and aim to relax it completely.
Stress can make it difficult, especially in the beginning, but it is a difficult thing to do and it does get easier. But even if you have to remember to calm your mind a thousand times, you're making progress.
Posted by: Tashigae

Re: A newbie's pathetic attempt at 1st time medita - 04/13/08 04:33 PM

I'm far from being very experienced at it, but since last year my training has been involving a huge share of so-called "internal exercises"; so here are the tips I've found to help when it comes to meditation:

1- After getting in the desired position, I'd say the first thing to do is to sort the breathing out. Keep the tip of you tongue connected to your palate (without really "pressing" it there either, since what you're trying to do is relax and any excessive tension goes against that), and breathe as peacefully as you can, trying to slow your breathing down gradually by making each breath (in and out) last longer. Don't slow it down to the point where you struggle to keep it so slow either, for that would mean unwanted tension in your chest (among other areas). When your breathing is both slow AND effortless, it's time to take care of step two.

2- Now to relax your body. As JKDWarrior pointed, the most simple way to do this is to run through your entire body like through a checklist. Concentrate on your feet (yeah, I personally run from toe to head, but JKDWarior's method of running from head to toe is just as good), and relax them as fully as you can. "Feet relaxed: check". Then proceed to focus on your ankles and relax them until you can say (mentally ) "ankles relaxed: check". And so on up to your chest, then shoulders, arms, wrists, fingers, neck, face. Once your entire body feels relaxed, a good way to keep it that way is to try and make your body to feel "heavy". Imagine that you're sitting on the sand at the bottom of the sea, and that you're trying to get your body to sink itself into the soft sand out of mere weight. That way, your body should instinctively avoid any motion or tension that would come in opposition to just simple gravity - and pretty much any muscular tension belong to that category (that's why lifting a person who's lost consciousness is, paradoxically, often harder than lifting an unwilling person).

3- OK, now for the meditation itself. Apparently, like me, you have trouble shutting off the flow of your thoughts. Just don't bother yourself about it, otherwise it will only make things worse. Instead, try to be more like "yeah, that's right; I still have a lot of rubbish going through my mind. So what?" . If you're at least comfortable about the restlessness of your mind, it has more chances to go away. You should even experience, now and then, some short (or not so short) 'blanks' when it DOES go away, and hopefully those blessed moments should become more and more consistent with time and experience. Now one of the most common weapons against those parasite idle thoughts is to concentrate on one given thing. Your breathing is an eligible candidate. If you're relaxed enough, you should even be able to perceive your own heartbeat very clearly, and that's another potential place for your mind to be (you can even try to influence it, and eventually become able to slow it down a bit). Some sentences can do that job too (For instance, in the Middle-Ages, would-be knights would spend the night kneeling and repeating some pater noster's or other prayers till dawn before being knighted). Just find what works for you.

4- Troubleshoot!
Sometimes, if you can't 'find it', the reason might be that some unwanted tension has been building up again somewhere. That's why I would advise to run through your 'checklist' again now and then, just to make sure some muscle hasn't re-tensed itself while you were not watching. Muscles of the face are among the usual suspects: it's VERY easy to unconsciously get into a frown when meditating, especially if things don't run as we'd like them to. If you meditate in a standing position (a common exercise in several styles of gongfu), legs will naturally have that tendency as well.
Another obvious cause that may affect your ability to meditate is your environment. See if there's anything wrong there. If you have the opportunity, there's no beating meditation in a natural environment (a garden is fine, wilderness is even better). However it has its limits: you should be comfortable, which will obviously be difficult in case of freezing cold, for instance. Home is usually the choice that comes just next, since it's usually the place where you'll feel safest and most relaxed.

5- An extra piece of advice I received from my instructor Mr.Zhou Jingxuan when I was learning gongfu in Tianjin. I'm rather clueless about the reason for this, but I just pass it down. According to him, you should always be facing east when doing any kind of meditation/neigong exercise. South is acceptable too, but north and west should be avoided. Don't ask.

6- Last but not least: persevere .

OK, that's about all I can think of now. I'll keep you posted if I think of more meditation tips.

I hope it helps!
Posted by: ButterflyPalm

Re: A newbie's pathetic attempt at 1st time medita - 04/14/08 02:09 AM

Quote:

Apparently, like me, you have trouble shutting off the flow of your thoughts.

The idea is not to shut off the flow of thoughts; it's way too difficult for a beginner. The idea for beginners is "to center your mind on a single point of thought" One good method is "close your eyes and smile" Drop your prejudice (if any) and try it.

Quote:

An extra piece of advice I received from my instructor Mr.Zhou Jingxuan when I was learning gongfu in Tianjin. I'm rather clueless about the reason for this, but I just pass it down. According to him, you should always be facing east when doing any kind of meditation/neigong exercise. South is acceptable too, but north and west should be avoided. Don't ask

It is an ancient Chinese belief that evil or evil forces are found or originate from the north and that the west is the dwelling paradise of the gods and an old chinese euphemism for death is to ascend the 'western paradise'

I always face north or south to take advantage of the earth's north/south flow of magnetic forces.

Re: A newbie's pathetic attempt at 1st time medita - 04/14/08 06:24 AM

Quote:

It is an ancient Chinese belief that evil or evil forces are found or originate from the north

You bet they do! XIONG-NU!

Quote:

the west is the dwelling paradise of the gods and an old chinese euphemism for death is to ascend the 'western paradise'

Yes, I remember now... Xi-You-Ji.

Quote:

I always face north or south to take advantage of the earth's north/south flow of magnetic forces.

I was wondering... For different exoteric reasons (facing Jerusalem/the Mecca, etc.), the Chinese, the Christians and the Muslims all face east when praying/contemplating/meditating. Therefore I definitely think there must be an esoteric reason hidden behind the exoteric one(s). I had been thinking about a possible geo-magnetic explanation, but since you say that those forces are more favourably taken advantage of when facing north/south, I guess the secret must lie somewhere else... It's not about the sun either, because east is still the best direction to face even when doing neigong in the afternoon, according to my former shifu. Any idea?
Here in Europe (and everywhere in the World as far as I'm aware, including in locations situated north, south or east of Jerusalem), churches are systematically oriented so that the fidels are facing east when facing the altar. I may add that until recently, the priest would also face the altar. The current habit of having the priest facing the fidels (and turing his back on God! ) is quite a recent development of Christian liturgy.
Posted by: horizon

Re: A newbie's pathetic attempt at 1st time medita - 04/14/08 07:55 AM

2 weeks ago I had my first proper meditation class. Before then we had short 'meditation' periods after training every now and then, but this was a 'proper' class. Our teacher explained us what exactly meditation is, what you like to achieve and how you could get there.

What I really liked about the teacher, is how she explained everything. She told us that you should think of you consious mind as a 3-year old child, who is curious and wants to explore and run away. She said that your mind will drift off during meditation, especially for people who haven't done it before. The trick was not to get angry, or frustrated, but everytime it runs of 'just call the child back'. After a while your mind will stop wander and stay where it is.

I really liked her analogy, and it helped me to prevent getting frustrated with myself. I just corrected myself everytime is started drifting, and pulled myself back to the 'here and now'.

I don't know if this woudl work for you, but it did for me and the whoel meditation left me feeling extremely positive and uplifted.
Posted by: harlan

Re: A newbie's pathetic attempt at 1st time medita - 04/14/08 08:35 AM

I was so put off by my first attempt at meditating...that I didn't go back. Partly because I was [censored] off at the teacher, and partly because it was such an uncomfortable experience.

I started karate, and thought it might be a good idea to incorporate meditation into a larger practice. Knowing next to nothing about the topic/endeavor...I decide on a local karate zendo. I'm told to sit, facing the wall..and that's it. In the space of 30 minutes, I go:

-from 'this is okay...I can handle this'
-to 'this is boring'
-to 'my frigging legs/back are killing me'
-to 'how does one not think and not do anything without going crazy?'
-starting to panic now from the pain, 'it's only been 10 minutes?..I'm going to pull my hair out'

Bright thought occurs...I remember giving birth and concentrating on breathing. I try that...find the breath...watch it go in/down and up/out...the pain recedes...some kind of balance occurs where the pain in the background somehow is monitored.

-I'm zooming now...no thoughts...just breath
-then on the tip/end of an out breath...it feels like this soft bubble pops...and out blows all this grief. I actually have the time to abstractly watch it come at me and think 'I wonder where that came from'...before it hits me like a wall of bricks, and my composure is completely gone.

Don't know what to think about that, approach the teacher for some input and am told 'keep looking'. I get really [censored], 'What is this...some kind of zen gimmick?' So, I keep looking, get some insights, and decide to forego sitting.

'Screw this sitting meditation stuff...I'll stick to kata.'
Posted by: Ed_Morris

Re: A newbie's pathetic attempt at 1st time medita - 04/15/08 11:03 PM

have you ever been as cynical as me - where I imagine the people teaching Zen/Zendo, know the lingo, procedure and tradition (ie the mechanics)...but at the same time, they haven't a clue?

even get that feeling? persoanlly, I'm not sure why 'classes' are even required of 'Zendo'. why do you need formal training of something which occurs naturally? It's like the usefulness of 'natural childbirthing classes'...well, if it's natural, WHY does a couple need classes?

lol. Actually, I had sortof a unique combination: I participated in natural birthing classes in the US, but the actual birth was in Japan. what resulted was a natural birth that lasted 8 hours, and me, as a spectator trying to incorporate the US training - hyperventilating.

Same kind of thing is common in US-version Zendo (which means trained for a short time in Japan then returning to US. The tourist version of Zendo). It's hyperventalization.
Posted by: harlan

Re: A newbie's pathetic attempt at 1st time medita - 04/15/08 11:51 PM

Hmm...I did find the birthing classes useful actually. I think my husband might have as well...if he had ever shown up.

I don't think it's untoward to look to others for advice, even in the simplest of endeavors. Natural isn't always nice.
Posted by: Ed_Morris

Re: A newbie's pathetic attempt at 1st time medita - 04/16/08 12:00 AM

"are you as cynical as me"

-by your answer, I'll take that as a "no".
Posted by: slix

Re: A newbie's pathetic attempt at 1st time medita - 04/16/08 07:10 AM

Well I've been practicing meditation for about a year now and here's what I can tell you.

Stop being so hard on yourself!

Everyone's always like... 'my mind races, i can't concentrate blah blah' for some reason I think Americans have this picture of perfect focus lasting for hours for these "special" people who can meditate. Before you start your session toss all that bs out the window. Everyone who meditates will tell you it's a pain. All of our brains get active when we try to quiet them. But through meditation we can realize that the working of our brain are just that... all in our mind and not anymore real than any other thought we have, whether it's fear or anxiety.

Now there has been a lot of great stuff put down in here all ow me to just give you my rundown for starting meditation. Sounds like you have a cozy spot to do it that's good, make sure you've got cushions (zafu/zabuton if you got it, some firm pillows if you don't). You want to sit so that just your rear is on the edge of the pillow allowing your legs to tilt down slightly. This allows you to maintain curvature in your spine. We're taught here to bring our hands together, placing the left fingers over the right in a cup with the thumbs touching lightly (think of holding a piece of paper between them) in the middle, centered on your belly button. Now before you start remember that you will not be perfect, that no one but enlightened zen masters can achieve such focus. That's not to say it's unattainable, just to say that for most of us we're looking for that 5-10s of enlightenment. Also place in your mind the thought of how you will treat yourself when you sit. Try to envision before you start how you would treat a very small child that is walking down the sidewalk with you, and tries to cross the street without looking. They don't know any better so gently help them back onto the sidewalk. Use this for yourself when your mind wanders.

Now for the actual sit.

I generally start with a focus on the breathe.
Specifically the space just at the tip of my nose where I can feel the in and out breathe. Tying into your breathe is the easiest way to feel 'right now' since it's going to happen no matter what you have to say about it unless you're dead...

Counting 1 on the in breathe and 2 on the out, up to 10. I try this a few times until I feel I've sufficiently focused on my breathe.

Then from there you can approach it several different ways.
In the form of Zen Sword I study we learn mind training where we see ourselves practicing kata in the 1st person as if we were doing it in the room. Trying it faster and clearer each time we repeat it in our mind. If you're a martial artist I would think you can adopt this. For me and most here it has given a great means of attaining more clear mind in meditation. That said if you want something else often a mantra helps your mind to focus.

Such things as love, compassion, family, joy, empathy, a name of one of the boddhisattvas (Avalokiteshvara, Kwannon, Kwan Seum Bosal) can all be your constant focus. They will of course get overrun by your mind but that will just help to show you as you slowly bring yourself back to focus like you would that child, that you can retrain your mind and you can gain a bit of clarity.

Also don't strain yourself at first. For the first month I started meditation I just did 5minutes in my bed before I slept. Might not have been the most useful application but it still beat doin nothing. Hope this helps.

Re: A newbie's pathetic attempt at 1st time medita - 04/16/08 03:09 PM

Quote:

even get that feeling? persoanlly, I'm not sure why 'classes' are even required of 'Zendo'. why do you need formal training of something which occurs naturally?

Because you learn so many bad habits over the years that you make it so much harder for yourself. Its kind of the same way that tai chi shows you how to move naturally and efficiently. The way most non MAists move is inefficient and puts excess stress on the body.
A tai chi class will show them an easier way to use their body, a zen class will do the same for the mind.
Posted by: JMWcorwin

Re: A newbie's pathetic attempt at 1st time medita - 04/16/08 03:23 PM

harlan -
I read a book on Zen that put it in a light I had never seen before. You might like if you're still interested in meditiation. (or even if you're not) It's called "Hardcore Zen". I don't remember the name of the author but he's a former punk rocker and the book is written from that point of view. Very straight forward and non "yoda-like". You won't get too many riddles.

Give it a look and it may change your mind to give it a try again. Or maybe not. Either way it's interesting reading.

Re: A newbie's pathetic attempt at 1st time medita - 04/16/08 04:58 PM

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SX3uFN_LQnU&feature=related

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qweBks3thcM&feature=related

Here's a good way to look at it if you're put off by the whole mystical idea people seem to have about. I personally don't see the necessity to do so. As soon as you make it seem mysterious, it puts off a lot of men since we're all logical and rational beings. I think some people just want to look cool.
Meditation is just practice for not being manipulated. You learn to gain control of you're mind because as soon as you respond emotionally you lose it. The first thing you should do is recognise when you are, you'll probably be surprised.

Re: A newbie's pathetic attempt at 1st time medita - 04/16/08 05:42 PM

Quote:

I think some people just want to look cool.

Definitely.

(but meditation isn't the easy way to that)

Quote:

we're all logical and rational beings.

Definitely not.

(everyday, people keep reminding me how UNTRUE this is)

Re: A newbie's pathetic attempt at 1st time medita - 04/16/08 08:03 PM

I know, its just what people seem to want to hear. Looking at it now, it was an attempt from me to get people to warm to my viewpoint. Tell them how brilliant they are and they relinquish control.
Posted by: Ames

Re: A newbie's pathetic attempt at 1st time meditation - 04/19/08 10:08 AM

I've always found that counting the breath works really well to improve your focus. As you exhale, say the number "one" silently, then with the next exhale say "two" etc. Make sure you say the number for the entire breath and try to let the number fill your mind. When you lose track of which number you're on, go back to one. However, if you have a thought but don't loose track of the sequence, just let the leave with the breath and continue. You may not get passed the number two before you have to start again, but don't worry--it will come. This is also a great thing to do whenever--you don't need to be sitting on a cushion.

Good luck,

Chris
Posted by: Demonologist437

Re: A newbie's pathetic attempt at 1st time meditation - 04/20/08 09:34 PM

For one indeed, as it's been said, if you are trying hard at anything involving "soft" practices then you are missing it. In time you'll get the hang of it, just keep at it.

However, having myself been frustratingly stuck at that point for some time, one trick i tried was ot forego the whole "mind of no mind" but and just set aside time to lie in my bed and stare at my ceiling with quiet/calming music.
Eventually, I reached a point where I found after just sitting there and absorbing the songs I could drift in and out of a mentally quieted state, and then drew on that feeling to full-on meditate. Soon after, I could even just fall into it without the music.

the biggest thing is relaxing, as about everyone and their brother's mother has said, and so if you are having difficulties work that out.

You'll get it if you want it somehow, I'm certain.
Posted by: KickingAngel16

Re: A newbie's pathetic attempt at 1st time meditation - 08/17/08 06:53 AM

If I have trouble meditating cause I have too much on mind, I just imagine a soothing sound from nature in my head. Mostly it's the sound of a calm rainfall or chirping birds. It always brings me into a meditative state when I have an overwhelmed mind.
Posted by: puffadder

Re: A newbie's pathetic attempt at 1st time medita - 08/17/08 10:02 AM

There's been a lot of good advice here but there is an extra tip that I have always found works wonders:

If you're having trouble shutting up that 'monkey mind' that jumps from one subject to the next then use distance. You know how on the top of a mountain all your problems seem so far away then use that. Mentally project yourself to a place far away from all your immediate problems and your mind will stop focusing on them so much.

This works very well and I have taken it to the extreme of projecting myself out into space well beyond our solar system. Out there all of mankinds problems are so infinitesimal insignificant let alone my own that I can completely just be one with myself. When you come back you will find that you feel incredibly peaceful and it's like somone has turned down the volume control in your brain so you can hear yourself again.
Posted by: puffadder

Re: diamond color - 08/17/08 01:21 PM

***** WARNING ****

The above links are viruses. DON'T click on them. Moderators please remove asap.

Thanks Ikerwanker for screwing up a good thread.
Posted by: dongdwaeji

Re: A newbie's pathetic attempt at 1st time medita - 01/21/10 09:42 PM

Posted by: EsotericEnergy

Re: A newbie's pathetic attempt at 1st time medita - 05/26/10 12:06 PM

Hi, I have some interesting advice, we are all no better than each other, there is only one master.
I hope you can find some value in it smile

Probably shouldn't go into the meditation thinking stuff like "OK I am going to meditate now I better not screw up" That won't help you.
You don't need to "do" anything really all you are doing at the most basic level is just allowing yourself to "BE". Don't attach anything else to it.
Slow and relaxed breathing does help to gradually decrease the amount of thoughts, you shouldn't monitor yourself too much just allow yourself to let go and put your focus on your body relaxing each muscle fully, it will all come with practice, as I said I am no master. smile
Here are some ideas for you all to look at, regardless of where you are there may be something you may not have thought of.
http://www.esotericenergy.com.au/freetipsandadvice.htm

Have a rad day, Peace smile