What to do, what to do......

Posted by: MattJ

What to do, what to do...... - 09/14/07 02:02 PM

We all know that the truth is the best answer. The trick is deciding when or if it is the best thing to do at the time. And what is the best way to do it? Blunt truth or possibly unfocused diplomacy? Sometimes people are pointedly trying to be hardheaded, despite the obvious facts contrary to their position. Sometimes people are just ignorant is the true sense of the word - they really don't know.

How much to force your will, when you think you're right? Think more, talk less?

eh......

[/unfocused rant]
Posted by: MattJ

Re: What to do, what to do...... - 09/14/07 03:57 PM

I guess everyone is thinking more.

Anyway, ponder the martial applications in this video here -

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m8LXQZ9Mwh0&mode=related&search=
Posted by: JMWcorwin

Re: What to do, what to do...... - 09/14/07 04:04 PM

That's great.
Posted by: ButterflyPalm

Re: What to do, what to do...... - 09/15/07 12:22 AM

Both animals in that clip are internal martial artists. The cat is obviously Tai Chi with some basic Bagua as seen from it's dependance on strategy, yielding and circular defensive moves and attacking from behind and the side to over come a stronger force and the dog, no doubt, is Hsing Yi for being over reliance on static and unchanging forward attacks and no defensive considerations at all.

The crouching now and then by the dog confuses me a bit, but then I remembered that in Hsin Yi there is actually a crouching defensive move, one of a very few amd rarely used defensive move in Hsing Yi.
Posted by: trevek

Re: What to do, what to do...... - 09/18/07 05:53 PM

Hmmm, not sure I agree. The cat keeps shooting in, rolling on its back and trying to bring the dog to ground.
BJJ?
Posted by: ButterflyPalm

Re: What to do, what to do...... - 09/19/07 12:28 AM

Actually I was debating with myself the possibility of that as I do admit the dog had some problem passing the cat's guard and what with the cat dropping to the ground almost immediately as most BJJ people seems to do.

The Bagua circling by the cat (albeit a much too wide a circle, but given that so much furniture is in the way it probably had no choice) and also coming from behind by the cat (which is what circling work in Bagua trains you for) did it for me and as for the dog, I'll stick to Hsing Yi no matter what people say.

My only complaint is that the dog (like all dogs) seems to carry loyalty-to-system to the extreme and does not seem to want to vary its technique one bit which overwhelmingly comes from the Hsing Yi 5 Element sets (i.e. the low half-crouch and the straight consecutive left-right front paw combination and did not (at least in this clip) progress to the 12 Animal set. Perhaps it is just a beginner (it does look like a puppy) or perhaps it has some innate prejudice against learning from other animals.

Unless we can get an exclusive interview with the feline & cannine martial artists, the jury is still out.
Posted by: Ed_Morris

Re: What to do, what to do...... - 09/19/07 11:01 PM

thats Tegumi, right?
Posted by: Leo_E_49

Re: What to do, what to do...... - 09/19/07 11:02 PM

@OP - Just letting you know you're not alone in this confusion. At the moment I'm using the "live and let live" philosophy. I always get this one wrong though so I'll abstain from answering conclusively either way.

(Refer to my post in the arrogance thread for an explanation as to why)