Meditation for disturbed mind?

Posted by: VietPanda

Meditation for disturbed mind? - 07/06/07 06:36 AM

Hi
I always seem to have a disturbed mind (thinking too many things at once), easily distracted, bad organisation

Do you guys recommend meditation to fix this, and if so, what type?

Thanx!
Posted by: Taison

Re: Meditation for disturbed mind? - 07/06/07 08:02 AM

I'm hyper-eccentric. It's hard for me to sit down in one place and focus on one thing.

Then again, it's hard for me to sit down in one place and not do anything.

Meditation only serves you a purpose if you're able to control yourself and you're shown the way.

It's like a sword, you can swing it by yourself, but unless you're taught how to properly use it, it won't serve you much.

Bad organisation isn't really something that can be taught in my opinion. I've heard lots of BS of how you should think before doing something, etc etc, but I think it's just a personal trait that exist in some, doesn't exist in others. Sure you can improve it, but unless you're willing to constantly work against your nature, it's not gonna help.

Thinking too many things at once? Easy. You've got the same problem as me. I just eliminate them one by one. Work from the easiest to the hardest. Never try to fix them all at once, that's just overkill.

Easily distracted? Focus. Slap yourself or something (seriously, it worked for me).

-Taison out
Posted by: ButterflyPalm

Re: Meditation for disturbed mind? - 07/06/07 08:48 AM

Chant-a-mantra, chant-a-mantra, chant-a-mantra, chant-a-mantra, chant-a-mantra, chant-a-mantra....
Posted by: jkdwarrior

Re: Meditation for disturbed mind? - 07/06/07 11:25 AM

While there are theories that suggest how you're pre programmed to think like you do, you can learn to quieten your mind through meditation. The problem is that it takes a lot more practice than most people are willing to commit. I'm talking years here.
As to what type, I think it doesn't really matter. I study zen meditation, which simply focuses on relaxation and improving awareness. You should join a class though or you could waste a hell of a lot of time.
Posted by: Ames

Re: Meditation for disturbed mind? - 07/06/07 07:03 PM

I'm the same way, but slowly getting better. At one point, it was so bad, that I would not sleep or sleep only an hour each night, because my mind just wouldn't stop. I might have been able to tolerate it if I was thinking of anything useful, but I wasn't.

I went to a few workshops on zazen (Zen meditation) and that really helps me when I practice it. When I don't, I notice a change.

I would agree with JKDwarrior, regarding learning from someone qualified. It's been my experiance that attempting to learn from a book, at best is a waste of time, at worse is downright dangerous. Generally though, the experiance will become uncomfortable, especially after one has there first encounters with makyo (demon visions). Someone qualified can guide you through this, or at least warn you and tell you how to deal with it.

Another thing that helps is cutting back (or cutting out all together) on caffeine and sugar. Although a small amount of caffeine has been shown to improve focus and memory, too much will only make the problem worse.

Marial arts are also a great focus builder in and of themselves.

--Chris

Posted by: VietPanda

Re: Meditation for disturbed mind? - 07/06/07 08:16 PM

Wow! Thanx alot guys!
I'll see if I can join a meditation class sometime soon

PS. sadly, I find it also hard to concentrate in martial arts
Posted by: Taison

Re: Meditation for disturbed mind? - 07/07/07 01:09 AM

Quote:

Focus!

-Taison out

Re: Meditation for disturbed mind? - 07/09/07 08:29 AM

If you find it hard to settle yourself initially, you should at least try a guided meditation. I'm sure you'l be able to find some on the net. The ting is though they'll only help you at the start, you need to be able to do it on your own, otherwise you can't apply it in real life.
Posted by: puffadder

Re: Meditation for disturbed mind? - 07/09/07 12:43 PM

Apparently the Chinese term for meditation literally means' sit still, do nothing' and that is what you do in meditation.
The most widely taught and used form of meditation, certainly for beginners, is simply to follow your breath.
Sit still,close your eyes and follow your breath as it enters and leaves your body. Of course you will start thinking of other things, plans, dreams, worries and so on but every time you notice yourself do this then bring attention back to the breath. Gradually you bring your attention under your control and in so doing you will have more focus and energy, you will sleep better and you will be able to put more of yourself into everything you do. Books and teachers can help but the first step will always be to gain the ability to focus on one thing and focussing on the breath is probably the most effective.
Remember the ONLY way to gain from this is to DO IT.

Re: Meditation for disturbed mind? - 07/11/07 08:16 PM

The internal arts also require continual focus for proper execution, so maybe you could try a bit of tai chi too. It's like meditation while moving