The Way the World is

Posted by: oldman

The Way the World is - 04/18/07 08:58 AM

When you awaken, when you understand, when you see, the world becomes right. We're always bothered by the problem of evil. There's a powerful story about a little boy walking along the bank of a river. He sees a crocodile who is trapped in a net. The crocodile says, "Would you have pity on me and release me? I may look ugly, but it isn't my fault, you know. I was made this way. But whatever my external appearance, I have a mother's heart. I came this morning in search of food for my young ones and got caught in this trap!"

So the boy says, "Ah, if I were to help you out of that trap, you'd grab me and kill me."

The crocodile asks, "Do you think I would do that to my benefactor and liberator?"

So the boy is persuaded to take the net off and the crocodile grabs him.

As he is being forced between the jaws of the crocodile, he says, "So this is what I get for my good actions." And the crocodile says, "Well, don't take it personally, son, this is the way the world is, this is the law of life."

The boy disputes this, so the crocodile says, "Do you want to ask someone if it isn't so?"

The boy sees a bird sitting on a branch and says, "Bird, is what the crocodile says right?" The bird says, "The crocodile is right. Look at me. I was coming home one day with food for my fledglings. Imagine my horror to see a snake crawling up the tree, making straight for my nest. I was totally helpless. It kept devouring my young ones, one after the other. I kept screaming and shouting, but it was useless. The crocodile is right, this is the law of life, this is the way the world is."

"See," says the crocodile. But the boy says, "Let me ask someone else." So the crocodile says, "Well, all right, go ahead."

There was an old donkey passing by on the bank of the river. "Donkey," says the boy, "this is what the crocodile says. Is the crocodile right?"

The donkey says, "The crocodile is quite right. Look at me. I've worked and slaved for my master all my life and he barely gave me enough to eat. Now that I'm old and useless, he has turned me loose, and here I am wandering in the jungle, waiting for some wild beast to pounce on me and put an end to my life. The crocodile is right, this is the law of life, this is the way the world is."

"See," says the crocodile. "Let's go!"

The boy says, "Give me one more chance, one last chance. Let me ask one other being. Remember how good I was to you?" So the crocodile says, "All right, your last chance."

The boy sees a rabbit passing by, and he says, "Rabbit, is the crocodile right?"

The rabbit sits on his haunches and says to the crocodile, "Did you say that to that boy? The crocodile says, "Yes, I did." "Wait a minute," says the rabbit. "We've got to discuss this." "Yes," says the crocodile. But the rabbit says, "How can we discuss it when you've got that boy in your mouth? Release him; he's got to take part in the discussion, too." The crocodile says, "You're a clever one, you are. The moment I release him, he'll run away." The rabbit says, "I thought you had more sense than that. If he attempted to run away, one slash of your tail would kill him."

"Fair enough," says the crocodile, and he released the boy. The moment the boy is released, the rabbit says, "Run!" And the boy runs and escapes. Then the rabbit says to the boy, "Don't you enjoy crocodile flesh? Wouldn't the people in your village like a good meal? You didn't really release that crocodile; most of his body is still caught in that net. Why don't you go to the village and bring everybody and have a banquet."

That's exactly what the boy does. He goes to the village and calls all the men folk. They come with their axes and staves and spears and kill the crocodile. The boy's dog comes, too, and when the dog sees the rabbit, he gives chase, catches hold of the rabbit, and throttles him. The boy comes on the scene too late, and as he watches the rabbit die, he says, "The crocodile was right, this is the way the world is, this is the law of life."

There is no explanation you can give that would explain away all the sufferings and evil and torture and destruction and hunger in the world! You'll never explain it. You can try gamely with your formulas, but you'll never explain it. Because life is a mystery, which means your thinking mind cannot make sense out of it. For that you've got to wake up and then you'll suddenly realize that reality is not problematic, you are the problem.

A. de Mello
Posted by: MattJ

Re: The Way the World is - 04/18/07 11:32 AM

Whoa. Thanks for the buzzkill.

The truth is tough to acknowledge.
Posted by: harlan

Re: The Way the World is - 04/18/07 01:47 PM

The only problem I see is not being able to discern a lying crocodile from a rabbit.

Re: The Way the World is - 04/18/07 01:48 PM

Or if YOU are the crocodile or the rabbit.
Posted by: harlan

Re: The Way the World is - 04/18/07 01:51 PM

Don't you 'ONE' vs. 'YOU'?

Quote:

Or if YOU are the crocodile or the rabbit.

Posted by: Stormdragon

Re: The Way the World is - 04/18/07 02:05 PM

Just because it's been this way awhile doesn't mean we should let it happen. If I see a woman being beaten and raped on the street should I pass by saying 'this is the way of the world and must be accepted"?
Essentially you're saying it's right to allow evil to go on unchecked. Correct me if I'm wrong. You now can stand by while people do evil to others. No thanks though I can't accept that. No person with a heart could.
Posted by: Mr_Heretik

Re: The Way the World is - 04/18/07 02:11 PM

Quote:

Just because it's been this way awhile doesn't mean we should let it happen. If I see a woman being beaten and raped on the street should I pass by saying 'this is the way of the world and must be accepted"?

No. You'll be a hero to that one woman, and be rewarded with jailtime for wailing on someone.. and thats the way the world is.

The rabbit still saved the boy from the crocodile, but he was killed anyway. Don't expect all your favors to be returned.
Posted by: Mastah

Re: The Way the World is - 04/18/07 03:08 PM

Quote:

No. You'll be a hero to that one woman, and be rewarded with jailtime for wailing on someone.. and thats the way the world is.

The rabbit still saved the boy from the crocodile, but he was killed anyway. Don't expect all your favors to be returned.

True don't expect your favors to be returned. But the world does work your way mine or anyone's. There is too much conflict between each other's consciousness which include opinions and decisions. And i believe that what you guy's are referring to is how america works. Here you could save a woman's life and go to jail in america, but i doubt in other countries, but i could be wrong. If morals existed then today would be different. I'm not saying i disagree or agree,But no two people think the same even if i did agree that wouldn't mean we think alike. The difference is what we seen seen, experienced, or was taught, in our past or memories, we discover in different methods than each other, but arrive at the same conclusion. I'm not saying no more cause this can go alot deeper than what it is. This is philosophy

edited to fix quote
Posted by: baumschrat

Re: The Way the World is - 04/18/07 03:51 PM

Quote:

Essentially you're saying it's right to allow evil to go on unchecked.

i dont think this is what the story tries to illustrate.
you should accept the fact that there will always be suffering in this world. however, you should not let yourself be paralyzed
by the suffering but rather accept it and then make the best of it.
for most people this will mean that they will try to diminish pain and anguish from their lives and their surrounding,
simply because this will make them feel better, effectivly making the best out of their lives.
but then you cannot achieve this when you are all troubled by thoughts of why there is suffering.
this is, in my eyes, what the boy in the story experiences. when he is in danger he gets all excited and over his doubt he does not even
try to change his situation for better.
when he stops questioning life he manages to escape, in the end even profiting from his actions.
doing what makes you feel better is so much easier if you focus on the doing and not on random speculation.
btw: to my mind it is curious that most people will accept joy and happiness as natural but will see the opposite as
unnatural and strange...a bit like accepting light but denying darkness...

Re: The Way the World is - 04/18/07 04:01 PM

Quote:

to my mind it is curious that most people will accept joy and happiness as natural but will see the opposite as unnatural and strange...a bit like accepting light but denying darkness...

[cynic]And not just accepting light and dark in others, but also in yourself. I don't think that everyone goes through their entire life as the boy or the rabbit.[/cynic]
Posted by: butterfly

Re: The Way the World is - 04/18/07 04:10 PM

I see Baum and Matt's points. And it goes back to that summarized adage or prayer or whatever...of being able to accept what you can't change and changing (hopefully for the good) those things that you can.

Life is hard and good and glorious and sad---and sometimes all at the same time, or in quick succession.

But whatever it is at this moment is what you got...and you have to deal with it as is. No returns or refunds.
Posted by: JKogas

Re: The Way the World is - 04/18/07 06:13 PM

"Life is suffering"

-John
Posted by: Ed_Morris

Re: The Way the World is - 04/18/07 07:34 PM

moral of the story: don't trust things that are ugly.

the boy was naive. he should have killed the croc and brought the carcass to his village BBQ.
Posted by: Mastah

Re: The Way the World is - 04/18/07 08:02 PM

People just don't do whatever they want, they do what YOU let them do.
Posted by: Ed_Morris

Re: The Way the World is - 04/18/07 10:45 PM

maybe if you are Superman.

I assume people do what they want (including hijack a plane and crash it, go on a shooting rampage, drive drunk or defraud people of money), and hope I'm either able to do something about it or not be there at all.
Posted by: Shadowtitan

Re: The Way the World is - 04/19/07 12:39 AM

Why is it such a big problem that people hurt other people? Obviously im glad we have laws that help keep more people alive(At expense to the planet), But in society the only way your gonna get anywhere is by being the crocidile. In nature you'll only survive by being the crocodile or the snake. Otherwise you just have to be lucky like the boy.
But was he did he waste his time saving the croc then killing it? And is he evil or good for killing it after he escaped. The whole concept of good or evil is an man made and only applies in society, its just a way of survival in society if you think about or a way of deciding who you like or not, And a way of easing your emotions and mind by thinking your doing the right thing...or the wrong.

Personely i think the worlds harsh and you might aswell just benifit yourself, But i do disagree with the the people who murder or destroy for no reason. With wars im not sure unless its simply religiouse, but over land i guess that means power and better economy and genrally benifits the govererments and country, but just going to war cause you feel like it is pretty pointless and unbenificial.
Posted by: Taison

Re: The Way the World is - 04/19/07 02:51 AM

Quote:

The Way the World is

Full of cr4ppy people that I wouldn't hesitate shoot.

-Taison out

Re: The Way the World is - 04/19/07 08:22 AM

Quote:

Quote:

The Way the World is

-Taison out

Bro, in light of the recent tragedy in Virginia, that comment is not funny at all.

Re: The Way the World is - 04/19/07 08:33 AM

Quote:

in light of the recent tragedy in Virginia,

Err.. What happened in Virginia?

Quote:

that comment is not funny at all.

I wasn't being funny. Sorry if I offended someone, but in my honest view, that's what I feel about the world at this point.

I helped this person out. I created from him a student who finally can pass his exams after struggling for 4 years just trying to enter university, and what's my thank? He backstabs me. He betrays a guy that actually dropped a semester of education just to help his compadre out, and his thank is a backstab and then act like the 7 years I've known him means nothing. I could've died for this guy, but he betrays me in the blink of an eye just because I'm not 'cool'.

So yeah, that's life. You help someone out, sometimes they're going to bite the hand that feeds you just to gain their own 'independence'. Sometimes you show people respect, and they'll step on you, make fun of you, diss you just to feel proud of themselves because they aren't special like most people, but they seem to forget everyone is special in their own way.

As for me saying the world if full of cr4ppy people, I don't mean the whole world, but my world is full of them. I sometimes wish that under these circumstances, I could just move to another country and re-start again.

-Taison out
Posted by: ButterflyPalm

Re: The Way the World is - 04/19/07 11:26 AM

A Poison Tree

I was angry with my friend:
I told my wrath, my wrath did end.
I was angry with my foe:
I told it not, my wrath did grow.

And I water’d it in fears,
Night & morning with my tears;
And I sunned it with smiles,
And with soft deceitful wiles.

And it grew both day and night,
Till it bore an apple bright:
And my foe beheld it shine,
And he knew that it was mine.

And into my garden stole
When the night had veil’d the pole:
In the morning glad I see
My foe outstretch’d beneath the tree.

William Blake

We burn a mighty wooded bright,
In which shielded darkness hide;
And in lending Fate a hand,
Were blinded to Eternity's plan.

ButterflyPalm

Re: The Way the World is - 04/19/07 12:23 PM

If you want something right
Then don't you just sit there in the absence of light
Stand up and walk out to face the world
Be an enemy, or a really cute girl
Put your hands up and clench your hand
Be strong, be a man

Trust the people you want to trust
But take care and do let them go if you must
Friends come and goes
Because most people you'll realize really blows
In the end, only Lord Buddha knows

"The survival of the fittest" springs to mind
It's almost as sinful as your daily crime
But most people just act stupid and blind
They'll let evil prevail in the absence of light
Waiting for their knight in armor bright
While the rest just stand there thinking "Serves him right"
Are we really this idiotic?

Like Oldman's poem of the kid and alligator
People have this idea of being the "agitator"
How strong they are for "biting the hand that feeds"
When they don't really realize how much they need
In the end it is them who will be the one that bleeds
Like the alligator who ended up as the evening's feast
No longer breathing, no longer a beast

This is what I think of those people
That all that exist in their skull must be very little
For in the end it is the way everything end
But even fate and luck has a strange way to blend
Creating the most strangest of circumstances
Creating a life full of chances
For people to redeem themselves
But nothing's for sure. .

-Freestyle rap by The Paladin (That's my artist name)

A little hobby of mine that I don't display often. It's freestyle so I made it up as I went along.

-Taison out
Posted by: butterfly

Re: The Way the World is - 04/19/07 03:35 PM

Well....William Blake it's not.
Posted by: Shadowtitan

Re: The Way the World is - 04/19/07 05:21 PM

So taison you have a problem with alligators?
What would world leaders be? Or say Bill Gates? Crocodile or boy?
It seems the people who are apparently something in the opinion of many are crocodiles while the people who are nothing are boys or rabbits.
You cant simply sum up the bad and the good in poems, And frankly everyone is a crocodile aswell as a boy unless mabey if they are a pshycopath. Or mabey you simply change througe the course of A day, A week, A month, A year or a lifetime. A you could act as the boy the rabbit or the croc in a differnt situation's, but which one you are would be the opinion of yourself and others.
But simply saying you are one or the other dosent really work due to how complex and flexible our mind and emotions are. But calling the croc or one of them stupid or good or bad, Arent you basicly just instantly judging? I know it was a simply story but the crocodile could of really needed to feed its young and it just took its chance. The snake needed to survive. The boy went from trying to help to basicly murdering the croc and the rabbit was killed for helping, if it had simply walked on by it would proberly have not died. The world harsh, And if your unlucky well then your unlucky but your not going to get anywhere by being being totally compassionate, No one is really going to give you anything for nothing so you have to get ahead of the weak and get stronger to beat the strong, But what really matters is how you do all that and i guess we can disagree with how differnt peple achieve, Act or handle things but aslong as they are ok with what they are doing and it dosent really effect you is it right that we judge them and call them bad? The world isent such a great place but we need to adapt and work with the cruel fast moving world we are part of instead of just complaining about it and fruitlessy trying to change it to better suit our individual needs.

But still if theres something you think evil that threatens you in some way or you just cant live with i guess theres not point letting it grow, Becuse that thing might benifit others if for someone reason you dont like it and you try or succeed in getting rid of it, well thats going to benifit and put you at ease isent it? forget the others thats is already helping. Such as burning fossil fuels, meat, Theivery for the people who arent strong enougth to try and make something society views better. Im simply giving the universal things people are against. Theres too much comlexity and too many levels and too many opinions with good and evil some being universal and others being personel, I just dont feel it right that we put it all so simply in poems and then just judge each character etc and think we are slightly better or fool ourselves into thinking we are whatever character we wish to be, and then not take into consideration that others may find our own opinions of ourself are completley wrong.
Its quite sad...self delsuion.
Posted by: sopredictable

Re: The Way the World is - 04/20/07 06:59 AM

Here's just to add a bit of humour to this very serious discussion.I received it as an e-mail a while ago and unfortunately don't know the author,so sorry for not mentioning you,whoever you are.
"On a bitterly cold winter day a little bird flies high up in the sky and because it is so cold the bird freezes and falls to the ground.Luckily a cow just happens to pass and drops a nice steaming one on top of it.As the bird thaws he is so happy to be alive that he starts singing a very loud and joyful song.A cat that is just passing by hears it and goes to the cowpat and pulls the bird out and devours it.So, the moral of the story: Not everyone who [censored] on you is your enemy.Not everyone who pulls you out of the [censored] is your friend.And if you're in deep [censored] you should just be quiet.
Posted by: oldman

Re: The Way the World is - 04/20/07 10:50 AM

Quote:

Well....William Blake it's not.

More like Robert Blake.

Re: The Way the World is - 04/22/07 01:05 PM

Anything but Justin Timberlake!

-Taison out
Posted by: PrimeUniversa69

Re: The Way the World is - 06/15/07 07:37 PM

Quote:

Quote:

The Way the World is

-Taison out

I think I see what you meen now taison,but i still don't think your meen.You just have a quick witted since of humer.^_^

I sort of tend to be both the rabbit and the Croc.On one hand I may want to help a duck out if its caged,then again I might eat it afterword,lol.Poeple have their own definition of evil.But, in the case of the man helping the woman out by wailing at the man beating the woman,its sort of a catch 22.Either you will have to watch a woman die or seriously hurt, and the man goes free,iwch is bad.Then again there is also the ugly of going to jail for wailing
at the man.i would take jailtime anyday over seeing a woman get hurt. And besides the likely hood that you going to jail for something like that would frequently be droppe most of the time, or if they don't the human rights corps will be up their ***(You know what I meen,I won't say it for cortousy reasons.)

Then again i also tend to be a cynic,so anything could happen really.For better or for worse.But look on the bright side,at least it isnt just you bad thingas happen to.
Posted by: Stormdragon

Re: The Way the World is - 06/17/07 02:38 PM

Evil which is essentially negative actions towards anything else that's living (and some would say everything) is certainly necessary for balance in the universe but shouldn't be allowed with no problem I mean peace should be stiven for but without the use of "evil" however it does have a purpose as for keeping a species from getting overly numerous and sometimes I guess it should be allowed within reason. Where do you draw the line though?
Posted by: Mr_Heretik

Re: The Way the World is - 06/17/07 05:43 PM

Quote:

Here's just to add a bit of humour to this very serious discussion.I received it as an e-mail a while ago and unfortunately don't know the author,so sorry for not mentioning you,whoever you are.
"On a bitterly cold winter day a little bird flies high up in the sky and because it is so cold the bird freezes and falls to the ground.Luckily a cow just happens to pass and drops a nice steaming one on top of it.As the bird thaws he is so happy to be alive that he starts singing a very loud and joyful song.A cat that is just passing by hears it and goes to the cowpat and pulls the bird out and devours it.So, the moral of the story: Not everyone who [censored] on you is your enemy.Not everyone who pulls you out of the [censored] is your friend.And if you're in deep [censored] you should just be quiet.

Well, I guess that may work too.