A Martial Philosophy

Posted by: Tenacity

A Martial Philosophy - 11/15/06 03:30 PM

A Martial Philosophy?
substitute military with Martial Artist, and feel free to agree or disagree.

I am military not to kill people, but to keep more from getting killed.
I am in the military not to harm people, but to protect them.
I am military to be of service to all of my country and mankind.
I am in the military because I believe in standing up for what is right with all my heart.
I am in the military because my spirit will not let me stand idly by.
I am in the military because my body will not be still when others are in danger.
I am in the military because I am a mother.
I am in the military because I care.
I am in the military because I believe I can make a difference.
I am in the military because I wish to contribute my skills to all.
I am in the military because I have a heart that beats fast and bright, a heart whose light will not be dimmed, and because my heart will not allow the darkness into its presence.
I am in the military because I believe in morality, idealism, and dreams.
I am in the military because I believe in doing right.
I am in the military and proud of it. My job is not always pretty. My job is often for a greater good. My job is to step in when a bully raises his fist. My job is to stop other fists from raising against eachother. My job is to promote understanding between all members of humanity, and to protect light, right, and the innocent.
Maybe these are concepts that some do not believe in, but I must. You see, I care, I cry, I bleed, and I will die. I know that I am not an island unto myself, and I wish my island to safeguard its people. I will safeguard all people.

-Tenacity noob extraordinaire
Posted by: harlan

Re: A Martial Philosophy - 11/15/06 03:53 PM

As an ex-Army wife, I consider the military to be a job. A dirty, dangerous, thankless, misunderstood and undervalued job that didn't compensate spouses and children fairly. And while I understood the need for ideals, and a certain mindset and culture to be important to esprit de corps...I never bought into a larger philosophy of life. I think one can have all those qualities...and pursue them as a volunteer in a soup kitchen, bringing kids to a soccer match, running Girl Scout troop...or in many other non-martial ways.

I consider my studies of martial arts, while deeply rooted in conflict, to be about self-development. Of using the body to reach the mind.
Posted by: Ed_Morris

Re: A Martial Philosophy - 11/16/06 01:27 AM

wanna know my 'martial philosophy' when I was 17 and signed up for the delayed entry program? (delayed entry: do basic training during junior year summer vacation, then finish senior year HS, then serve full time 2 years, then reserves for 2, then inactive service 'on call' for 2)

I am 17, with no life plans.
I am 17, with no money for college so I need full-time work.
I am 17, my parents are getting a divorce so I want to move out.
I am 17, join the military during a cold-war? why not.

that was pretty much my philosophy....there was not really any romance to it.