meditation for physical healing

Posted by: bobafett

meditation for physical healing - 10/05/06 06:52 PM

is meditation for physical healing possiable? i got a very vauge consept of what meditation does. i know it helps with consentration and staying calm. to put in simplest terms lol. but would meditation help physical healing?

Posted by: harlan

Re: meditation for physical healing - 10/05/06 07:00 PM

I doubt it could hurt to try.

I have heard of studies that state that decreased tension, and concentrated visualization on healing are helpful in the healing process.

Check out any writings/work done by Dr. Jon Kabat-Zinn on the subject. There was an article done on this topic in the May 2005 Shambala Sun magazine. You may be able to find it online.
Posted by: ButterflyPalm

Re: meditation for physical healing - 10/06/06 08:37 AM

It all has to do with how the blood behaves.

Try this. Look at your palm with full concentration for a few seconds. It will start to turn a nice pinkish red.

The act of concentration itself (whether on the palm or any part of the body -- internal or external) will cause a quick concentration of blood to that part. This the reason why Qi Gong is good for general health maintenance and even the eleviation of some medical conditions.

Not convinced yet?

Try this. Think of something sexy. What happens? You did not (or rather could not have) will the blood to rush to the genitals to cause an erection. The body merely and spontaneously reacted to your sexy thoughts. The body did not know for sure whether you actually intended to carry out any sexual activity. It just assumes you do and thus prepares itself for it. And after the sex act, it rushes away.

Part of my meditation includes concentration on all the internal organs in a certain sequence and I can actually feel some organs, especially the liver, warm up when my mind is on that particular organ.