Have any ways to meditate

Posted by: Saarna

Have any ways to meditate - 07/27/06 12:55 AM

There's a couple of methods which I have tried.
Up and Down Method Breathe in through your nose and hold as long as you can, then exhale through your mouth.
Triangle Method Breathe in for a set amount of time(i.e. 10 seconds, more, less), then hold for the same amount of time, and then exhale for that amount of time.

Also do you have any tips for meditating. I try to picture myself at my best in the moment(satori) or sometimes I try to just say "onnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnneeeeeeeeee" in my head and I try to hold onto the note for the entire time.
Please post your methods and tips.
Posted by: WuXing

Re: Have any ways to meditate - 07/27/06 08:08 AM

Don't worry about all these tricks. Just breathe naturally. Think naturally. Be aware of your breath going in and out. Be aware of your thoughts going in and out. Practice not letting your awareness rest or dwell on any thoughts. Always departing. Come back to the center and just do it.
Posted by: nenipp

Re: Have any ways to meditate - 08/02/06 07:34 AM

I couldn't have said it better myself!

(to be honest, I couldn't have said it nearly as well, but the point is not to be honest, but to look good)
Posted by: ButterflyPalm

Re: Have any ways to meditate - 08/03/06 07:17 AM

Quote:

but to look good

1200 posts and still ONLY a Veteran?

About time Matt-the-one-with-the-Rubbable-back give you a 'good looking' by-line.

Oh, yes, about meditation.

Wuxing's way is only for when you are already pretty good at it; it's like telling a baby not to worry about anything, just get up and walk. You need to hold the baby's hands for those first few steps for a few weeks and note the great amount of concentration on his face. But when the baby can walk on his own or even run, that's when the need to concentrate and think about walking is no longer necessary.

The thing to do is to do what you are doing now until it becomes second nature and then forget about it and just DO.

I can meditate now as I type this.
Posted by: harlan

Re: Have any ways to meditate - 08/03/06 07:42 AM

But at that point (while typing)...is it meditation or contemplation?
Posted by: ButterflyPalm

Re: Have any ways to meditate - 08/04/06 03:35 AM

'Contemplation' involves thinking about something, a topic; it is a pure mental activity.

The 'Meditation' I was talking about while typing (just one e.g.) is a specific MA derivative which involves the mind and body; what I was talking about in another Thread -- from-the-body-to-the-mind and from-the-mind-to-the-body. You must arrive at a stage where meditation can be as unconscious as walking and able to be undertaken while doing something else. If not how else can the internal MAs derive anything from meditation if the latter has to be done in isolation and cannot be integrated into the physical movements in MA?

Of course meditation can be done purely as a mental activity for some other non-MA applications. I was just trying to tell Saarna that there are many 'ways' to meditate and for many different purposes if one reaches a certain level; maybe I was being too brief.
Posted by: nenipp

Re: Have any ways to meditate - 08/07/06 04:21 PM

BTW, do you think saarna is preaching?