Zen 24/7 - Zen breath

Posted by: Dauragon c mikado

Zen 24/7 - Zen breath - 03/25/06 05:13 AM

Quote:

Life begins with a single breath. The moment we're born and leave the womb of our mother, we start the lifelong, process of inhale-exhale that continues untl the moment we die. Nothing is more basic, more vital to our lives, than breathing. Yet rarely do we give it a thought.
A zen teacher once made that point dramaticly before an assembled group of monks. The teacher asked,
"Whats the most important thing in life?"
"Food," said one.
"Work," said another.
"The pusuit of truth," said a third.
The teacher signaled for a monk to step foward.
Grabbing the monks head, he dunked it in a tub of water and held it down until the monk came up gasping for breath.
The assembly got the message: We can live days without food, years without work, or a lifetime without truth, but we cannot go for more than a few minutes without a breath.
When you awake in the morning, stretch your arms to the sky and breath deeply. Fill your insides with the emptiness around you.
Breath easy, Your alive.

-Philip Toshio Sudo

Ps, Im sorry it took so long because I said I would post these weekly, I lost the book down the side of my bed when I fell asleep reading it and only found it yesterday.

Discuss

Posted by: founderofryoute1

Re: Zen 24/7 - Zen breath - 03/25/06 07:50 PM

Well quite! But just because you need to breathe to live, doesn’t mean that you should concentrate on it all the time (if that is what you are implying)?

Martin

Re: Zen 24/7 - Zen breath - 03/26/06 04:37 AM

I think it simply means you shouldnt take breathing for granted and you should take some time each day to appreciate its importance, but really I dont see why theres anything wrong with concentrating on breathing all the time, would'nt that be good? To be aware of every moment your alive? Isnt that the pourpous of zen anyway?
Posted by: founderofryoute1

Re: Zen 24/7 - Zen breath - 03/26/06 11:15 AM

There is nothing wrong with concentrating on breathing all the time if you want to f*** your head up. I don't know about the purpose of Zen but I believe that meditation should be a method of introspection, i.e. a method of understanding yourself. It should not simply be a ritual that one performs i.e. it should not simply be concentrating on breathing. We are not machines!

Martin
Posted by: harlan

Re: Zen 24/7 - Zen breath - 03/26/06 01:08 PM

What is our constant companion in life? Our breath. We can go days and months without being aware of this silent companion. To take the time to pause, and be mindful of this one aspect of our existance is to bring a total focus to the immediate moment. Meditative practices, including the arts, often focus on on the breath as a beginning/fundamental step to centering ourselves. With practice, and expanded awareness, the ideal is to move past this practice.
Posted by: BrianS

Re: Zen 24/7 - Zen breath - 03/28/06 12:07 AM

Just think if we thought about each step that we took.
Posted by: JoelM

Re: Zen 24/7 - Zen breath - 03/28/06 12:50 AM

Just think if we thought about everything we thought about. (actually being serious)
Posted by: BrianS

Re: Zen 24/7 - Zen breath - 03/28/06 01:09 AM

I'll have to think about what would happen if I though about my thoughts,I think.
Posted by: harlan

Re: Zen 24/7 - Zen breath - 03/28/06 08:08 AM

I don't think that my post included the word 'think'.

Re: Zen 24/7 - Zen breath - 04/01/06 02:37 PM

I think that I think about thinking, therefore I am, I think