Purpose of Mokuso - meditation

Posted by: hedkikr

Purpose of Mokuso - meditation - 01/23/06 08:43 PM

Some times "Me-moku" (closed eyes meditation)

What is the purpose of meditation? It's a legitimate question & I'm not being a smart-azz. Years ago, I had the mother of a new student come to me saying "We're Christians. Is meditation praying to Buddah?".

I answered "No, it's a time to quiet your mind; rid yourself of all the extranious thoughts & events of the day; prepare yourself for training."

That suit her just fine & her son remained in the class.

Are there any other explanations?
Posted by: eyrie

Re: Purpose of Mokuso - meditation - 01/23/06 09:19 PM

Praying to Buddha???

The purpose of "meditation" is to invoke the divine kami, so that the dojo can be graced by their presence.

Sometimes incantations and clapping is also used to "wake up" the spirits.

Or you can pray to whichever spiritual entity you so desire....
Posted by: harlan

Re: Purpose of Mokuso - meditation - 01/23/06 10:22 PM

Considering the shelves of books on the topic, seems like you nailed it in one sentence. The training depends on the context. MA for some, spiritual for others.

Quote:

I answered "No, it's a time to quiet your mind; rid yourself of all the extranious thoughts & events of the day; prepare yourself for training ."

Are there any other explanations?

Posted by: Foolsgold

Re: Purpose of Mokuso - meditation - 01/24/06 02:01 PM

Quote:

Considering the shelves of books on the topic, seems like you nailed it in one sentence. The training depends on the context. MA for some, spiritual for others.

The only place where the mind and body are separate is in textbooks. -Some Chinese proverb or other
Posted by: trevek

Re: Purpose of Mokuso - meditation - 01/24/06 04:59 PM

Surely it depends what you are meditating on. JC spent all those days in the wilderness praying and meditating.

Great definition, btw