Find out for Yourself

Posted by: oldman

Find out for Yourself - 01/06/06 01:14 PM

"Whatever happens, whether you think it is good or bad, study closely and see what you can find out. This is the fundamental attitude. Sometimes you will do things without much reason,like a child who draw pictures whether they are good or bad. If that is difficult for you, you are not ready to practice zazen"

Shunryu Suzuki
Posted by: MattJ

Re: Find out for Yourself - 01/06/06 01:50 PM

Research is fundamental for getting ahead in life or in martial arts. This is something I truly believe. How can you tell what is truly valuable if you don't have enough information to compare?
Posted by: harlan

Re: Find out for Yourself - 01/06/06 01:54 PM

The problem with research, is that often it is really a quest to validate a predetermined point of view or idea. Real learning, totally new ideas, cannot be fully appreciated if they have to be filtered through various lens. I think that is why the idea of emptiness, and space, is spoken about in zen/buddhism...but it applies to all learning. One must have 'baby eyes'.
Posted by: nenipp

Re: Find out for Yourself - 01/06/06 03:51 PM

I, too, think that it's an invitation to an inward journey, not an outward one.
Posted by: trevek

Re: Find out for Yourself - 01/06/06 05:26 PM

The problem is it is a journey of no return. If more people realised that they might not start it...

... or maybe they do and it's why they don't!
Posted by: Kosh

Re: Find out for Yourself - 01/06/06 05:48 PM

Quote:

The problem with research, is that often it is really a quest to validate a predetermined point of view or idea. Real learning, totally new ideas, cannot be fully appreciated if they have to be filtered through various lens. I think that is why the idea of emptiness, and space, is spoken about in zen/buddhism...but it applies to all learning. One must have 'baby eyes'.

A very good point. This is something I see sometimes at others and myself (unfotunately).

"8. See as if for the first time a beauteous person or an ordinary object." - Vigyan Bhairav Tantra