Reflections

Posted by: its_only_a_name

Reflections - 12/26/05 03:44 AM

I would like to start a thread for everyone to post reflections and/or experiences from meditation Anything that makes you blissful or happy feel free to post Kind of a diary of progress; if you experience a deep state in meditation feel free to reflect it in here for everyones benefit

Re: Reflections - 12/27/05 06:59 AM

Dancing with clouds
Back towards the sun
I grow smaller, yet so full...
Posted by: BrianS

Re: Reflections - 12/27/05 07:03 AM

Ego makes one reply to one's own thread.

Re: Reflections - 12/27/05 08:24 AM

It takes one rock to destroy a rose...
Posted by: Ed_Morris

Re: Reflections - 12/27/05 09:42 AM

It takes one sock to destroy a nose...
Posted by: harlan

Re: Reflections - 12/27/05 10:13 AM

My meditation is of the Tibetian variety. It starts with falling asleep focused on a 'seed'. At one point, one 'wakes' during sleep...becomes 'aware' and is simply a hanging ball of luminous awareness/light. This is only one state in a progression, and while there is no reflection or feeling or even sense of self at the time, upon 'waking' it brings a heightened awareness of being 'in the now'.
Posted by: Kosh

Re: Reflections - 12/27/05 04:33 PM

Harlan, can you tell more?
Do you visualize a white A at your solar plexus?
Also what does "seed" mean (in this context)?

Re: Reflections - 12/27/05 06:44 PM

A seed can be anything, really. I have found the sanskrit letter for space (white A) to be personally significant...but any idea or image can be reduced to a seed. The seed acts as a tight focus for entry...like knocking on a door.

I'm new to this, but from the little experience I have in this I would suggest that you not pursue dream yoga without a firm foundation...perhaps in normal meditation.

Re: Reflections - 12/28/05 05:55 PM

I have an interest in tibetan dream yoga because I just have to do something before sleep. I am always thinking of something before sleep. So I wanted to spend that time better. Since it isn`t considered a good thing to fall asleep during most meditations I was searching for something that could be done that way - tibetan dream yoga.

So far I only tried it for a litlle while, my dreams became more vivid and it was easier to remember them during those few days.
Why do you suggest that I not pursue it?

Re: Reflections - 12/28/05 06:16 PM

Because it is meant to be part of a larger spiritual path.

Re: Reflections - 12/28/05 06:27 PM

Could you clarify that please?

Re: Reflections - 12/28/05 06:38 PM

Sure. Tibetian dream yoga is part of a Tibetian Buddhist/Bon spiritual path. If all you are doing is lucid dreaming, not folding in the process into an overall context of mind training, you are missing the point entirely of dream yoga.

It is one of several 'bardos', and one's nature should be suited to it. For me, it is a natural progression...not something I went looking for. Those that go looking for dream yoga are generally not suited to it; what one finds...may need some interpretation and where will you find such an esoteric teacher?

I suggest that one prepare oneself through regular meditative practices, to make a firm mental/emotional foundation. Little steps first.
Posted by: oldman

Re: Reflections - 12/28/05 06:42 PM

If I eat fish on friday it may be good for me but it does not mean that I am practicing Catholisium. I think harlan is suggesting that you consider context and not just specific disciplines.

Sorry harlan beat me to the punch.

Re: Reflections - 12/28/05 07:14 PM

That`s true Oldman but, no one is telling you not to eat fish on friday because it`s a catholic custom. I think I understand what you two are saying though.

But still...
How can you tell that doing dream yoga wont bring me to the path of tibetan buddhism/bon?
Tibetan buddhism interests me, not so much from the religious side, but from the meditative & healing side (although these seem very connected). Do you think you can`t approach tibetan buddhism from dream yoga?

Quote:

If all you are doing is lucid dreaming, not folding in the process into an overall context of mind training, you are missing the point entirely of dream yoga.

Well, that is sort of what I wanted to do. Too many useless thoughts at night, why not give them something useful to do? Don`t all meditations fall under the context of mind training in a way?

Quote:

It is one of several 'bardos', and one's nature should be suited to it. For me, it is a natural progression...not something I went looking for. Those that go looking for dream yoga are generally not suited to it; what one finds...may need some interpretation and where will you find such an esoteric teacher?

I think it so with many things. But, I think that if one looks for something, and not arive to it naturally, it might only mean, that he is not ready for it at that time. It happened to me quite a few times, that I came back to something I was searching in the past but couldn`t "stick with" (understand, grasp...) it at that time.

Oh, I think I know someone who might help me with the interpretations, however, she is not tibetan (buddhist).

Re: Reflections - 12/28/05 07:34 PM

Far be it for me to discourage someone. Go for it...but if you are going to do something be willing to take the advice of others. Tibetian Buddhism/medical paradigm is interesting. The problem with it is that at its' core is Guru yoga. And if you don't find an authentic lineage you may find yourself 'taken in' by scam artists; authentic gurus are rare, ones that deal with dream yoga and medicine even rarer (although you being in Europe it might be easier). And since none of this is martially related, I think it is best taken elsewhere. I will PM you.

Re: Reflections - 12/28/05 07:57 PM

Ok, thanks.
Posted by: LastGURU

Re: Reflections - 12/29/05 06:01 PM

Quote:

And since none of this is martially related, I think it is best taken elsewhere. I will PM you.

Oh my, please don't... or am I the only one who sees this appropriate and interesting for other people as well?

Re: Reflections - 12/29/05 06:23 PM

Don't you think it is far enough off-topic? What does Tibetian Buddhist dream yoga have to do with martial arts? Zip.

Re: Reflections - 12/29/05 07:36 PM

you'd be surprized what people can see application in

If 'Tora Guchi' can wax a car, then dream yoga can be visualization.
Posted by: LastGURU

Re: Reflections - 12/29/05 08:11 PM

Quote:

Don't you think it is far enough off-topic? What does Tibetian Buddhist dream yoga have to do with martial arts? Zip.

there are forums here that are and that are not related to MA. this is one traditionally far off the MA topic

Re: Reflections - 12/30/05 08:09 AM

Just so. The problem being, that at some point, technical crosses over to a highly personal and subjective discussion. And I don't care to share in public.

Re: Reflections - 12/30/05 01:12 PM

I read you. nor should people feel pressured to do so. sorry if it came across that way.