a hard lesson on the way to enlightenment.

Posted by: Dauragon c mikado

a hard lesson on the way to enlightenment. - 12/13/05 06:27 AM

Not so long ago my girlfriend left me, I was so annoyed I left school early and caught the bus home.
In the midst of my anger and remorse....the sun hit my face..

This was unexpected since i've been used to the cold dark winter months of Britain.

At that moment I remembered that no matter what goes on in your life, the world just carries on.

You can spend your whole life being angry and sad and keep blaming yourself but the whole time all you needed to do was look outside yourself and see the rest of the world just going about their business, people on their way to work, mothers caring for their children, even the hobos begging on the streets just getting on with their lives trying to make a living.

I may never get over my 'loss' but I can come to terms with it, I know to some losing breaking up with a partener may not seem like a big deal, but I know pain, growing up in a place where your drunk dad comes home every night a beats the crap into your mother almost every night and then you suffered if that was'nt enough, only to have her die a few years later.

So when you find you have nothing to live for, just keep searching and you'll eventually find it.
Posted by: harlan

Re: a hard lesson on the way to enlightenment. - 12/13/05 08:33 AM

Isn't it nice that the sun comes up every day? No matter how dark our nights get, a touch of warmth and light reminds us that we are still alive.

Re: a hard lesson on the way to enlightenment. - 12/13/05 08:39 AM

But their are those who do not wish to face their problems and insecurities, these people will never feel the sun light, without light we cannot see our reflection in the mirror.....

Re: a hard lesson on the way to enlightenment. - 12/13/05 08:53 AM

Well, I guess those folks need to be hit with a stick.

*thump*
Posted by: BrianS

Re: a hard lesson on the way to enlightenment. - 12/14/05 03:51 AM

It is always darkest just before the dawn.
Posted by: ButterflyPalm

Re: a hard lesson on the way to enlightenment. - 12/14/05 08:33 AM

Quote:

It is always darkest just before the dawn.

Haven't seen dawn for a long time.

Does anyone know why condemned criminals are or were always hanged at dawn?
Posted by: oldman

Re: a hard lesson on the way to enlightenment. - 12/14/05 08:41 AM

Because they can't be hanged at Tony Orlando?
Posted by: Ed_Morris

Re: a hard lesson on the way to enlightenment. - 12/14/05 08:45 AM

Tie a yellow ribbon 'round the ol neck...certainly would be a hard lesson on the way to enlightenment.

Re: a hard lesson on the way to enlightenment. - 12/14/05 08:45 AM

I have a whole list of dark reasons...I'll skip posting them.
Posted by: don_juan

Re: a hard lesson on the way to enlightenment. - 12/14/05 08:18 PM

Dauragon You are so right life does go on. life is to short to be sad. when im mad i just go to the woods out back behind my house and wacth the nature and see all the little creatures playing and im happy agin .

Re: a hard lesson on the way to enlightenment. - 12/15/05 03:41 AM

Quote:

Dauragon You are so right life does go on. life is to short to be sad. when im mad i just go to the woods out back behind my house and wacth the nature and see all the little creatures playing and im happy agin .

I'm kind of the same way. When I am mad I go out to nature and shoot squirrels.

Re: a hard lesson on the way to enlightenment. - 12/15/05 06:45 AM

I do not condone cruelty to animals but I like to hit the old 'maki' when I'm mad, but this looks like its starting to go off topic so please I ask you, dont overdo it! or else!

Re: a hard lesson on the way to enlightenment. - 12/15/05 06:58 AM

It's not called cruelty where I'm from,it's called hunting. Please don't threaten me I've had enough of that today.

Your girlfriend broke up with you,probably won't be the last. Would you rather marry her have a couple of kids and then her suddenly leave you for an ugly dude? See,it could be worse.
Things happen to us that hurt,nothing will heal it fast,it just takes time to realize how much SHE will be missing out on.Her loss.
Posted by: trevek

Re: a hard lesson on the way to enlightenment. - 12/15/05 07:50 AM

I know what you mean. My friend and former boss died last week and I attended the funeral on monday. She'd been fighting the Big C for a few years and finally wasn't able to keep saying 'nuts'.

She was an amazing woman who ran a primary school in a tiny Polish village. She allowed me a very loose rein to do theatre projects with the kids and we produced some beauties. I left the job because I felt I'd been there too long and me and the kids needed a break. Now I wish I'd stayed for one more semester...

Still, I didn't and I realise I have to assess my own work from what I learned through her generosity in trusting in me. If I want her to live on I need to use her inspiration in my work.

Re: a hard lesson on the way to enlightenment. - 12/15/05 08:41 AM

This is one depressing thread -- girlfriend left, hanging at dawn, a friend dead and squirrels shot on purpose.

Anyone got any anti-depressant topic?

Re: a hard lesson on the way to enlightenment. - 12/15/05 09:58 AM

Yep, my girlfriend left I found another and got married (or is that depressing as well ?), I'm not dead, never been hanged and I'm not a squirrel.

Oh, and each day I look in the mirror I ask "How can a person be so handsome with only one face?"

Oh, and best of all, each new day means I can read more posts on Fighting Arts (especially by ButterflyPalm)

Re: a hard lesson on the way to enlightenment. - 12/15/05 10:05 AM

Well, Richard Pryor died this past week. Normally, I would be sad at the passing of someone, but his comedy was so good...I am still laughing decades later. He turned his pain into some 'seriously funny' comedy that is still with me.
Posted by: nenipp

Re: a hard lesson on the way to enlightenment. - 12/15/05 01:54 PM

Quote:

Yep, my girlfriend left I found another and got married (or is that depressing as well ?), I'm not dead, never been hanged and I'm not a squirrel.

Oh, and each day I look in the mirror I ask "How can a person be so handsome with only one face?"

First sentence: me too.

Second: On a regular forum I could just lie and say "me too" but one never knows with you qi-sensitive guys and gals, so I won't

Re: a hard lesson on the way to enlightenment. - 12/15/05 06:47 PM

Quote:

Quote:

Please dont take your anger on other life but and sry for getting off the subject

Re: a hard lesson on the way to enlightenment. - 12/15/05 09:31 PM

Quote:

On a regular forum I could just lie and say "me too" but one never knows with you qi-sensitive guys and gals, so I won't

Congratulations!!! You have achieved Enlightenment without knowing it.

And Trevek, can I borrow that mirror you stole from Snow White's stepmother?; I need something miraculous to cheer me up after I found out that condemned criminals were hanged at dawn just so that they do not get to see the beginning of a new day. It seems in the old days the next day starts after dawn and not after midnight.

Also legally if a criminal is scheduled to be hanged on a certain day, hanging after dawn (the next day) would be a technical violation.

I've always wondered whether these people condemned to be hanged brush their teeth or shave on the morning of the execution; I mean what is the point? And can they sleep the night before and what thoughts or dreams they had?

Man, this is worse than squirrels being shot as a form of anger management.

Re: a hard lesson on the way to enlightenment. - 12/16/05 05:08 AM

Sorry for the derailing squirrel comment,it was a joke. I don't shoot them when I'm mad.

If you were enlightened would you know it?

We all learn hard lessons,but it has nothing to do with a path to enlightenment,just life. Some have hard times without a lesson or enlightenment. They have the same hard times over and over,never learning everything.

Re: a hard lesson on the way to enlightenment. - 12/16/05 05:58 AM

Brian, I only meant it as a joke, not a threat.
What could I do from here?

In some selfish way, its reasuring to know I'm not the only one having a hard time.

Is it just me or human nature?

Re: a hard lesson on the way to enlightenment. - 12/16/05 07:56 AM

I used to shoot squirrels too....except that a 'ding' sound was heard when one was shot at a place marked with a red dot on the squirrel and another one immediately pops up from under a rock. Man, it was a massacre; I must have killed hundreds.

I am just waiting to be reborn as a squirrel in my next life. My only request is not to be reborn anywhere near Fort Smith

Re: a hard lesson on the way to enlightenment. - 12/16/05 01:03 PM

Quote:

Is it just me or human nature?

Oooonlyyyy yoooouuuu...

Re: a hard lesson on the way to enlightenment. - 12/16/05 05:48 PM

Ooooonnllllyyyy mmmeeeeee......

Re: a hard lesson on the way to enlightenment. - 12/17/05 05:07 AM

It's not legal to shoot squirrels in town,anymore.

Re: a hard lesson on the way to enlightenment. - 12/18/05 05:41 AM

Quote:

It's not legal to shoot squirrels in town,anymore.

GREAT!!! so if one day you see a little squirrel doing the sanchin kata in the woods nearby, you'll know its me
Posted by: RangerG

Re: a hard lesson on the way to enlightenment. - 12/18/05 08:37 AM

Quote:

Quote:

The first of two great lessons in my life..

The winter of my 14th birthday, my father took me out small game hunting. After taking my shotgun for a walk, and wasting near a box of shells, I managed to hit a squirrel..

My excitement was extinguised as the poor little bloke was still alive on the ground, and my father forced me to end his life....I was very sad when his bright eyes turned cloudy..

When we arrived home, I found that it was my job to clean and skin him...I became sick during the process. Worse, I found him cooked and ready for me to eat at lunch. I could not... He was back on my plate at dinner, again at breakfast, lunch, and finaly at dinner the next day, I managed to gag enough of him down to satisfy my parents. My father fixed me with a firm and penetrating stare, and said "Never..ever..kill an animal you do not intend to eat".

It was one of those huge life lessons....
Posted by: RangerG

Re: a hard lesson on the way to enlightenment. - 12/18/05 08:45 AM

Four years ago, my house burned to the ground. I lost everything I had...and for a while was homeless...living at the generosity of friends and the red cross.

At that moment, I learned how little "stuff" matters. How important friendship and family is.

I also learned I can bounce back from the worst situations with my sanity intact, and move on with my life.

The non material things in life are most often the best. Friendship, love, MA training....

Well...I would really miss my Harley....

Another great lesson of life...

Re: a hard lesson on the way to enlightenment. - 12/18/05 02:31 PM

Ranger, that is a great story.

In the army we had a survival exercise and I was amazed at how many of the rough tough soldiers couldn't handle the idea of killing a chicken for food. Having worked on a farm, I had no problem.

Some years later a rather snotty vegetarian smarty-aleky challenged me as to whether I'd ever killed an animal for food (thinking I'd say no). His argument was stopped when I said yes.

Funny thing is, I love animals (even without ketchup).

A couple of years ago my two cats died of poisoning. If I'd have found the people responsible I'd have betrayed my MA training and battered the c-rap out of them...

Re: a hard lesson on the way to enlightenment. - 12/18/05 08:52 PM

Quote:

Funny thing is, I love animals (even without ketchup).

Im not a farmer but i love animals alot also and i find it hard that people would hunt animals like wolfs not for the meat but just for the trophy, and on the hard lesson on the way to enlightenment is just like life when somthing bad happens something better comes your way
Posted by: MattJ

Re: a hard lesson on the way to enlightenment. - 12/18/05 09:49 PM

RangerG -

My respect for you has grown, and I had a lot to begin with.

*bows*

Re: a hard lesson on the way to enlightenment. - 12/19/05 07:44 AM

isn't it strange how tragedy can either bring people together or separate them.

Also, it takes the personalized tragedy of a animal for someone to either condone or despise hunting...but yet the image of an assembly line of cows being slaughtered, skined, quartered and going into a meat grinder isn't enough for people to stop buying sausages at the deli.

I'm not a vegan or even a vegitarian. my only point is that it's Human nature to learn the hard way. Tragedy has to become personal.

Re: a hard lesson on the way to enlightenment. - 12/19/05 08:21 AM

I've considered my hypocrisy on this subject. How I can go through each day, knowing there is diverse suffering but not acknowledging it...and then dwelling on the roadkill I pass on my way to work.

Re: a hard lesson on the way to enlightenment. - 12/19/05 09:16 AM

you aren't alone. population: from 2000-2050 the world population will grow by double the current size of China. That means in 2050, there will be 9 billion souls walking around looking for something to eat. Thats when Science kicks in and saves the day, by growing the nutrients in a lab factory and producing a pill. nothing has to die for it, and life is sustained.
That is, if people don't have to learn the hard way of the reprecussions to turning their backs on scientific solutions/critical thinking and enter another dark age.

btw, aren't we overdue for another dark age? As individuals and species, we absolutely have growing pains, learning curve and repeating history.

That preservation survival gene we all have, has a selfishness about it. stressing doesn't seem to help, awareness might be the way to go.

Re: a hard lesson on the way to enlightenment. - 12/19/05 09:18 AM

(Black Monday? )

There is always Ebola, West Nile Virus, Bird Flu....

The hubris of humans is that we are usually not fully 'aware' of the net we are part of.
Posted by: LastGURU

Re: a hard lesson on the way to enlightenment. - 12/19/05 05:56 PM

Quote:

but yet the image of an assembly line of cows being slaughtered, skined, quartered and going into a meat grinder isn't enough for people to stop buying sausages at the deli.

it was enough for me... well actually not exactly that image, but I decided to become a vegetarian after I once looked for like 10 minutes at those poor fished who live in a fish store and await their destiny. I just stood there and watched these beautiful fishes, then I imagined that one of these living creatures is going to be killed next, then I said to myself, I shall not participate in this killing.

Re: a hard lesson on the way to enlightenment. - 12/20/05 05:52 AM

I catch my own fish as well. Scale-em filet-em and deep fry-em!!

If you are thinking about the earth population think about the animal population if we didn't eat them!! We're over run with rabbits and squirrels between seasons as it is!!
Posted by: oldman

Re: a hard lesson on the way to enlightenment. - 12/20/05 08:32 AM

Soylent Green is peo..............!!!!!!!!!!!

Re: a hard lesson on the way to enlightenment. - 12/20/05 08:37 AM

Forget about Matt's Bisquits...don't eat Oldman's crackers.

Re: a hard lesson on the way to enlightenment. - 12/20/05 09:19 AM

Quote:

Forget about Matt's Bisquits...don't eat Oldman's crackers.

Now I know why they are called Cracker Jacks.

Re: a hard lesson on the way to enlightenment. - 12/20/05 10:09 AM

hehe..oldman never misses the big picture.

Posted by: rideonlythelabel

Re: a hard lesson on the way to enlightenment. - 12/20/05 01:56 PM

Quote:

Quote:

but yet the image of an assembly line of cows being slaughtered, skined, quartered and going into a meat grinder isn't enough for people to stop buying sausages at the deli.

it was enough for me... well actually not exactly that image, but I decided to become a vegetarian after I once looked for like 10 minutes at those poor fished who live in a fish store and await their destiny. I just stood there and watched these beautiful fishes, then I imagined that one of these living creatures is going to be killed next, then I said to myself, I shall not participate in this killing.

Are you aware that every year during the harvests millions of animals die crushed by the combines?

(is that the correct word? combine? you know those huge machines that harvest grain...)

Re: a hard lesson on the way to enlightenment. - 12/20/05 01:58 PM

I was going to skip on this but...

...there is no escape from killing others. Even insects beneath your feet count if considering from a Buddhist perspective. So, one might as well enjoy the squirrel stew.

Re: a hard lesson on the way to enlightenment. - 12/20/05 02:14 PM

only the edible and/or cute animals are worth saving. who gets upset when a vampire bat dies?
Posted by: JoelM

Re: a hard lesson on the way to enlightenment. - 12/20/05 11:45 PM

How about a cricket?

Re: a hard lesson on the way to enlightenment. - 12/21/05 02:28 AM

Quote:

How about a cricket?

I dunno,crickets bug me.

Re: a hard lesson on the way to enlightenment. - 12/21/05 02:50 AM

I once had a friend who was a very devout Christian and a 'vegetarian'. I asked her why she was vegetarian and she said it was on moral grounds.

"I don't believe we should kill and eat God's creatures".
"But how come you eat fish?"
"Fish are ugly! If God hadn't meant us to eat them then he wouldn't have made them so ugly"

Re: a hard lesson on the way to enlightenment. - 12/21/05 03:27 AM

So all of us ugly men better not get in her way!!!!

Re: a hard lesson on the way to enlightenment. - 12/21/05 01:51 PM

Women's logic is hard to beat!
(but ugly men are hard to eat)
Posted by: MattJ

Re: a hard lesson on the way to enlightenment. - 12/21/05 02:03 PM

Quote:

Well, I guess those folks need to be hit with a stick.

*thump*

Dang. I know I'm late with this, but Harlan, you are ready to leave the Shaolin temple.

*hands Harlan black belt, does 540 spin kick to the sun*

Re: a hard lesson on the way to enlightenment. - 12/21/05 02:04 PM

Thank you Sensei.

*hugs, kisses*

{harlan runs off wildly clutching the one and ONLY BB she will ever have }

Re: a hard lesson on the way to enlightenment. - 12/22/05 01:41 PM

Quote:

So all of us ugly men better not get in her way!!!!

I dont want to sound big headed, but I'm completely safe!

(gets up, prances about in front of mirror blowing kisses to the reflection)

Re: a hard lesson on the way to enlightenment. - 12/22/05 04:28 PM

Quote:

I dont want to sound big headed, but I'm completely safe!

Is that 'saFe' or 'saNe'

Re: a hard lesson on the way to enlightenment. - 12/27/05 04:00 PM

I always get weired looks when I say 'I'M PERFECTLY SANE'.

No matter how much I think about it I cant figure why, I'm never sarcastic, honest!

But seriously, the only person I consider better looking than myself is my ex...

(so beautiful....sob)

If appearances showed what was on the inside she would be the best person alive today, and to me she is but things don't always workout the way we want to, but were still friends and in some ways thats better, but my feelings for her will never change, shes the only one who truly understands me, and with out her in my life, no amount of sunlight will save me.

Re: a hard lesson on the way to enlightenment. - 12/27/05 11:42 PM

Quote:

shes the only one who truly understands me

Perhaps that's why she became an "ex"?

Re: a hard lesson on the way to enlightenment. - 12/28/05 12:26 PM

Trust me it's not, please dont ask why, cause Im not gonna tell you.
Posted by: LastGURU

Re: a hard lesson on the way to enlightenment. - 12/28/05 05:32 PM

Quote:

Trust me it's not, please dont ask why, cause Im not gonna tell you.

afraid, you are?

Re: a hard lesson on the way to enlightenment. - 12/28/05 06:04 PM

In a way yes, but theres more to it than that.

Re: a hard lesson on the way to enlightenment. - 12/29/05 02:32 AM

and