Andy Warhol and Coca-Cola

Posted by: rideonlythelabel

Andy Warhol and Coca-Cola - 11/27/05 02:07 PM

I was rereading through an old magazine today and I found an interesting Andy Warhol quote. I don't think it was meant to be related to anything spiritual in the first place, but I thought it would be interesting to look at it in a zen/spiritual way.

Quote:

A Coke is a Coke and no amount of money can get you a better Coke than the one the bum on the corner is drinking. All the Cokes are the same and all the Cokes are good.

Give me your own spin on this.

Here is the complete quotation;

"What's great about this country is that America started the tradition where the richest consumers buy essentially the same things as the poorest. You can be watching TV ans see Coca-Cola and you can know that the President drinks Coke, Liz Taylor drinks Coke, and just think, you can drink Coke too. A Coke is a Coke and no amount of money can get you a better Coke than the one the bum on the corner is drinking. All the Cokes are the same and all the Cokes are good. Liz Taylor knows it, the President knows it, the bum knows it, and you know it."

Andy Warhol, famous pop artist.

On a side note; I hate the word spiritual. It sounds new age. I couldn't find an alternative. Can someone help me?
Posted by: harlan

Re: Andy Warhol and Coca-Cola - 11/27/05 02:20 PM

I don't drink coke. I don't drink soda at all. It all tastes like chemicals, and literally makes me sick when I drink it. A mass produced drink with no soul, targeted for the masses.

As for the word 'spiritual'. I personally have had an issue with the word. I am 'uncomfortable' with it, as my Western sensibilities consider spirituality to be anti-rational. The ability to reconcile/integrate this word, and understanding is my current challenge, and has actually been the primary challenge I've had to face learning a martial art.
Posted by: MattJ

Re: Andy Warhol and Coca-Cola - 11/27/05 02:24 PM

Very interesting, Ride.

That is a good point to realize that many things can be enjoyed or appreciated the same way despite vast differences in culture, monetary status, location, etc.

It doesn't stop people from trying to find the next better XYZ, though.
Posted by: trevek

Re: Andy Warhol and Coca-Cola - 11/27/05 02:30 PM

I once saw a documentary which had footage of a S.American tribe that use Coke in their religious rituals because of the coco and caffeine in it. Apparently the local shop stocks up everytime they have a ceremony.

I believe Coke's (or maybe Pepsi's) unofficial motto is, "Here before the Christians".
Posted by: oldman

Re: Andy Warhol and Coca-Cola - 11/27/05 02:34 PM

Warhols work not unlike Zen is full of paradox and irony. It takes a look at the commonplace ( Campbells soup cans and Brillo boxes) and elevates them to a place of nobilty or "high" art. Warhols work turns high art upside down and replaces a respect for technical and traditonal skills gained over time with the techniques of graphic design and mass production. Warhol and other Pop artists produced work that reflected the tumultuous times they were created in.
There was a spiritual message to Warhols work. It was in large part overun by the successes and excesses he tried so hard to mock and then became synonomous with.
Posted by: ButterflyPalm

Re: Andy Warhol and Coca-Cola - 11/27/05 09:26 PM

Quote:

Very interesting, Ride.

That is a good point to realize that many things can be enjoyed or appreciated the same way despite vast differences in culture, monetary status, location, etc.

It doesn't stop people from trying to find the next better XYZ, though.

Here is a true story.

Some aboriginal tribes, due to a certain influx of money into their lives, visted a nearby town and they bought some refrigeratures when it was explained to them the wonderful advantage of keeping food, especially meat, fresh for months. They took them back to their jungle settlement and of course the darn things didn't work because there was no electricity.
Posted by: Foolsgold

Re: Andy Warhol and Coca-Cola - 11/28/05 12:03 AM

Quote:

A mass produced drink with no soul, targeted for the masses.

To each their own I suppose. I drink water more nowadays, but I still love Coke.
Posted by: phoenixsflame

Re: Andy Warhol and Coca-Cola - 11/28/05 12:10 AM

Here's some definitions for ya.

Spirituality :
1. The state, quality, manner, or fact of being spiritual.
2. The clergy.
3. Something, such as property or revenue, that belongs to the church or to a cleric. Often used in the plural.

--------

Ardor :
1. Fiery intensity of feeling. See Synonyms at passion.
2. Strong enthusiasm or devotion; zeal: “The dazzling conquest of Mexico gave a new impulse to the ardor of discovery” (William Hickling Prescott).
3. Intense heat or glow, as of fire.

-------

Devotion :

1. Ardent, often selfless affection and dedication, as to a person or principle. See Synonyms at love.
2. Religious ardor or zeal; piety.
1. An act of religious observance or prayer, especially when private. Often used in the plural.
2. devotions Prayers or religious texts: a book of devotions.
4. The act of devoting or the state of being devoted.

--------------------

The basics of it comes down to this.

The words mean something, but we attribute meanings that are not theirs to them. Spirituality is simply the vocalization of concept. If we try to make these things more complex, than we're not trying to remove the attachments and in fact we are compounding the problem.

I think Harlan has the right idea, its not about trying to find a new word to describe it, its about trying to change the way in which we view things. Because its not the word we have the problem with.

Basically, Warhol has always had the Paradoxial Zen Quality in his life. Although his life is basically as far from removed from the actual Practice of Zen as humanly possible.
Posted by: Alicia

Re: Andy Warhol and Coca-Cola - 11/28/05 01:42 AM

I think Coke symbolizes the fact that a decline in the masses' culture arose from the mass production of comodities. This need for a successful democratic society, for everyone to have equal rights and access, manifested in the production of Coke, available to everyone. With equality, some individualism is sacrificed.

Many of Warhol's earlier pieces were commercial ones, and in his attempt to mock pop-art, he is ironically best known for his Campbell soup pieces (similarly to what oldman has already said). There are actually many of them, if you ever you get a chance to check out his exhibition. All in all, he sold out to pop, which in turn, is un-zen like. Then again, I don't know much about Zen.

Re: Andy Warhol and Coca-Cola - 11/28/05 03:19 AM

Quote:

I think Coke symbolizes the fact that a decline in the masses' culture arose from the mass production of comodities. This need for a successful democratic society, for everyone to have equal rights and access, manifested in the production of Coke, available to everyone. With equality, some individualism is sacrificed.

Many of Warhol's earlier pieces were commercial ones, and in his attempt to mock pop-art, he is ironically best known for his Campbell soup pieces (similarly to what oldman has already said). There are actually many of them, if you ever you get a chance to check out his exhibition. All in all, he sold out to pop, which in turn, is un-zen like. Then again, I don't know much about Zen.

If you do not know much about Zen, you are already closer to realizing your Buddha nature than those of us who know much.

The beginners mind is a powerful thing...

Upon Cokes symbology... I would agree with you, but I would also take it to another level. It is a decline in the human animal praising their bodies. As Harlan has stated, it is simply refined chemicals.

Thus, who can say that they treat their bodies with total dignity if they constantly attack it with destructive forces such as those? But, thats an entirely different discussion.
Posted by: nenipp

Re: Andy Warhol and Coca-Cola - 11/28/05 03:27 PM

Why should you treat your body with total dignity when you know it's going to give up on you?
Posted by: BuDoc

Re: Andy Warhol and Coca-Cola - 11/28/05 04:13 PM

What about Nehi?

Thanks to the good ol' US of A, that lovely grape libation has been elevated to godlike status(even the term "Nehi Gods") in the South Pacific.

Page

Re: Andy Warhol and Coca-Cola - 11/28/05 04:15 PM

I think most of see life as now. We're not constantly remided that our body will eventually fail us.
What we try to achieve is a healthy body so that we can use it to its full potential. If we want to be faster, stronger, we do what we need to do. We eliminate the harmful things in our diet so that we are not counteracting its amelioration. We live in an individualistic society where everyone is taught to strive for personal success. We have a drive to be our best. Physically, this ultimately means pushing our bodies, stretching our limits, becoming better and better.
Another way of looking at why we don't want chemicals in our body, is that we've been given this body for the rest of our lives. we need to take care of it for as long as we have it. The more complex something is, the more of a chance there is that something will go wrong. Adding non-natural ingredients to our body can cause complications. There is no need for caramelized, carbonated chemicals, or femented ones, at that.

Re: Andy Warhol and Coca-Cola - 11/28/05 04:55 PM

Interestingly Coca Cola was invented by an ex-soldier of the American Civil war who was trying to use cocaine to help cure his morphine addiction. It was originally sold as a headache cure and tonic (Pepsi was a stomach cure).

Coke apparently, was one of the leaders in early brand advertising, practically inventing it.

Re: Andy Warhol and Coca-Cola - 11/28/05 04:56 PM

Quote:

Why should you treat your body with total dignity when you know it's going to give up on you?

Thats like asking why you should treat your pet's with respect when they're going to die before you. Or why you should eat when you're just going to deficate it out anyways.

The fact is, if we treat our body with the respect and energetic level of maintenance it will last many more years than if we don't....

Quote:

I think most of see life as now. We're not constantly remided that our body will eventually fail us.

I think the people who focus on the end of things, are the same people who focus on the beginning of things to much. It leads to us not seeing whats going on right now, and leads to a life of attachment.

Quote:

What we try to achieve is a healthy body so that we can use it to its full potential. If we want to be faster, stronger, we do what we need to do. We eliminate the harmful things in our diet so that we are not counteracting its amelioration.

Agreed.

Quote:

We live in an individualistic society where everyone is taught to strive for personal success. We have a drive to be our best. Physically, this ultimately means pushing our bodies, stretching our limits, becoming better and better.

I don't know, I think the striving for personal success does the opposite of this. I do not believe strive to be their best when they are focused solely on personal success. This is an entirely different subject, but one I want to touch on. To better oneself sometimes means making sacrifices on what society deem's as sucess.

Quote:

Another way of looking at why we don't want chemicals in our body, is that we've been given this body for the rest of our lives. we need to take care of it for as long as we have it. The more complex something is, the more of a chance there is that something will go wrong. Adding non-natural ingredients to our body can cause complications. There is no need for caramelized, carbonated chemicals, or femented ones, at that.

I suffer from Chronic Migraine Syndrome, basically a very nasty way to say that I have a basically debilitating headache/migraine every day, 24 hours a day, 7 days a week. I've had this for the past roughly five years. (give or take a few months)

You find very quickly, that the body reacts to these "chemicals" that have been processed very badly when your body is so reactive. There are products in Tea that we drink that are similar to the processed, but the way it is delivered is completely different. You'd be amazed the lows that accompany artifical highs, even if you conceptualize it. Experiencing the natural middle path of constance is a very different existance.

Re: Andy Warhol and Coca-Cola - 11/28/05 05:02 PM

Quote:

Interestingly Coca Cola was invented by an ex-soldier of the American Civil war who was trying to use cocaine to help cure his morphine addiction. It was originally sold as a headache cure and tonic (Pepsi was a stomach cure).

Coke apparently, was one of the leaders in early brand advertising, practically inventing it.

Dr. Pepper was one of the only soda's to stay open during the two World War's... Because they liscensed themselves as a tonic, instead of a refreshment. Coke and Pepsi both shut down to put their resources towards the War Effort.

Re: Andy Warhol and Coca-Cola - 11/28/05 08:59 PM

phoenixflame,
I'm not agreeing with the democratic's society's view of personal success either. But for capitalism to work, society must be based on earning capital. One of the ways people are taught to "buy more things," is to be told that they need to buy products to fix what's wrong with them. Since the 1920's, and probably before, people have been told that they are not perfect. If they are not perfect, they are not socially acceptable. Their breath stinks, they're too fat, they're wearing the wrong clothes, drinking the wrong beer. We've been conditioned to believe that in order to become socially successful, we need to buy products that will help us, first of all, become social acceptable. I'm not saying I agree with this shallow view of consumerism and consumption, but for the most part, this is how it is.

Personal success can be measured more greatly in acts such as people devoting themselves to helping others, without any monetary value in return. It takes a certain type of person to do this, and there aren't too many who would, or do.

That's too bad about your headaches - really bad. What do you do to ease the migraines?

Re: Andy Warhol and Coca-Cola - 11/28/05 09:33 PM

Quote:

Quote:

"You are always dragging me down," said I to my body.
"Dragging you down!" replied my body. "Well I like that! Who taught me to like tobacco and alcohol? You, of course, with your idiotic adolescent idea of being 'grown up.' My palate loathed both at first: but you would have your way. Who put an end to all those angry and revengeful thoughts last night? Me, of course, by insisting on going to sleep. Who does his best to keep you from talking too much and eating too much by giving you dry throats and headaches and indigestion? Eh?
"And what about sex?" said I.
"Yes, what about it?" retorted the body. "If you and your wretched imagination would leave me alone I'd give you no trouble. That's soul all over; you give me orders and then blame me for carrying them out.

-C.S. Lewis

Re: Andy Warhol and Coca-Cola - 11/28/05 10:30 PM

Nice quote.
Where is it from?

Re: Andy Warhol and Coca-Cola - 11/29/05 03:34 PM

OK phoenix, my bad, I didn't know that "total dignity" has the same meaning as "respect".
Translated to my language (the best I can) it doesn't, you see.

I'd say I treat my body with respect, but I won't worry myself sick about a little chemical here or there!

Re: Andy Warhol and Coca-Cola - 11/29/05 03:50 PM

It's from a collection of essays. The title of the book and one of the essays was "The Grand Miracle", and I took the quote from the "Scraps" section.

Re: Andy Warhol and Coca-Cola - 11/29/05 05:27 PM

On the question of body image Coke started advertising in 19th Century with paintings of pretty young women who (supposedly) were the kind who drank Coke and would be (supposedly) attracted to men who drank coke. It was the women who eventually asked Coke to stop marketing itself as a tonic.

Ironically, in Scotland there is a local soda drink known as Irn Bru, which had to change its spelling from "Iron Brew" because it was illegal to advertise as having health giving properties. Interestingly, the mascot figure on the drink was the famous Scottish wrestler and heavy athlete, Donald Dinnie.

Re: Andy Warhol and Coca-Cola - 11/29/05 06:05 PM

Quote:

OK phoenix, my bad, I didn't know that "total dignity" has the same meaning as "respect".
Translated to my language (the best I can) it doesn't, you see.

I'd say I treat my body with respect, but I won't worry myself sick about a little chemical here or there!

No need to apologize, we're all discussing the way we approach our bodies. I don't think anyone should worry about every single detail of what enters their body, in this day and age we can't control that.

We can control the big things though... I'm not saying everyone should do the things that I do, because I don't think people could handle it. I don't think a sudden change would be good for people. I think a slow movement towards this is better, but... I do not high expectations of this happening anytime.
Posted by: butterfly

Re: Andy Warhol and Coca-Cola - 11/29/05 06:28 PM

trevek,

What get's me is that you can walk into a t-shirt store, plunk down 15 dollars US (around 9 Pounds, British), and pay for the privledge of advertising for Coca-Cola.

Sheesh! Marketing genius to have you buy the stuff, and pay to advertise it.

Re: Andy Warhol and Coca-Cola - 11/29/05 07:27 PM

yes ... and even though we know we're buying into, and reinforcing the image-product branding, we still do it.

Coca-cola - the bottle itself, "wickedly shaped like a woman."
Posted by: Grayston

Re: Andy Warhol and Coca-Cola - 01/02/06 05:08 AM

Quote:

A Coke is a Coke and no amount of money can get you a better Coke than the one the bum on the corner is drinking. All the Cokes are the same and all the Cokes are good.

I believe this is life - whatever we have - we want better - but in truth whilst a Bentley R motor vehicle is hand made using the best of everything available - it is - when all said and done - a car...

The old question - should we strive to own the Bentley or accept that the battered up old wreck we can afford is still a car and gets us where we want to go?

In martial art terms many of us strive to better ourselves - and in truth we should not worry about what the next man or woman is doing - or whether somone's hand is an inch lower in a different style. The martial arts are about the betterment of the individual and the minute we lose track of this - we start to notice Wal-mart Cola is different from Coca Cola.

Get the mind set that all coke is the same and if you choose a brand because you like that brand - good for you - but equally - having a seizure because your neighbour is different will give you a stroke and is largely pointless as the neighbour is going to keep drinking something different anyway

All Cola rules....

Respectfully and Happy New Year,

Re: Andy Warhol and Coca-Cola - 01/02/06 07:07 AM

Ah, but there is a point. While all colas are colas only one is Coke!

Interesting how the free-market is allegedly about choice and yet Coke shows the power of utilitarreanism.

Re: Andy Warhol and Coca-Cola - 01/02/06 09:02 AM

I thought I 'was' saying there is a point

Re: Andy Warhol and Coca-Cola - 01/02/06 01:53 PM

Yes, but there was another point
Posted by: still wadowoman

Re: Andy Warhol and Coca-Cola - 01/02/06 05:14 PM

Quote:

Ah, but there is a point. While all colas are colas only one is Coke!

True but some people prefer Pepsi. Those that prefer coke should not care that some prefer other brands or try to "convert" them.

Each to his or her own.
Sharon
Posted by: Ed_Morris

Re: Andy Warhol and Coca-Cola - 01/03/06 12:49 AM

Quote:

True but some people prefer Pepsi. Those that prefer coke should not care that some prefer other brands or try to "convert" them.

It'll never happen, there will always be people that want you to live exactly that same way they do.

The majority wins for the short-term, reality always wins the long term. (someday people will realize pepsi is too sweet and not enough gas. )
Posted by: JoelM

Re: Andy Warhol and Coca-Cola - 01/03/06 01:04 AM

Unlike Ed, who's not sweet at all with too much gas.

Re: Andy Warhol and Coca-Cola - 01/03/06 01:24 AM

Quote:

It'll never happen, there will always be people that want you to live exactly that same way they do.

I'm gald your appreciate that Ed...

Respectfully,

Re: Andy Warhol and Coca-Cola - 01/03/06 01:29 AM

Quote:

Each to his or her own.
Sharon

Well said Sharon.

Respectfully,

Re: Andy Warhol and Coca-Cola - 01/03/06 03:05 AM

Quote:

Each to his or her own.
Sharon
-----------------------------------------------------------
Coke practically invented advertising and Pepsi have the pepsi challenge, so I'm not sure how far we can stretch the analogy.

Irn Bru, however, until recently, outsold Coke by 3:1. The only local drink to outsell Coke. Suggests that sometimes, what we are really searching for is right on our doorstep (and is a better hangover cure).
Posted by: Ed_Morris

Re: Andy Warhol and Coca-Cola - 01/03/06 07:20 AM

aawwww Joel...and here I am thinking you didn't care.
Posted by: Bushi_no_ki

Re: Andy Warhol and Coca-Cola - 01/05/06 05:31 AM

Personally, I prefer Mountain Dew.

That adds a whole other dimension to the question, as there are several different types of Soda available, each tasting completely different.

Re: Andy Warhol and Coca-Cola - 01/05/06 04:19 PM

Quote:

Personally, I prefer Mountain Dew.

Nah... what's wrong with tullamore dew?

Re: Andy Warhol and Coca-Cola - 01/06/06 04:46 AM

or the rae ould mountain dew
Posted by: qwan

Re: Andy Warhol and Coca-Cola - 01/25/06 09:33 AM

coke is a slow poison.(even pepsi too)
It contains phosphoric acid. Its Ph level is around 3.8 making it very acidic and i have seen a 24 year old guy get paralysed because his spine started disintegrating. They couldnt find any reason except that he used to drink unusually large amounts of pepsi--6 to 8 litres a days minimum. The conclusion was arrived because many a health experts have mentions that drinking colas could cause severe bone damage with similiar symptoms.
They have all been ignored by the masses or "shut down" by these corporations.
The reason the public has been ignoring these warning is shocking. Because these indications are serious. But nowadays nobody cares ppl are just ignorant. And there is the "scorn" factor. Pppl dont want to be called "freaks"
If Andy Warhol says that all coke is good(even though he may be trying to say something else as he say that no money can buy you ......) I think he has been bought over by these corporations.
And now they are adding another poison to it Aspartame.

Re: Andy Warhol and Coca-Cola - 01/25/06 09:48 AM

There are many 'poisens' to be found...within and without. Nature is filled with examples of poisens. Volcanic gases, animals, rotting food...etc. I can elect not to drink cola, avoid being bit by snakes, abstain from old food...but I find that it is the internal poisens that I cannot escape/avoid. Things like: fear, anger, doubt and internal attachments to things I know are unhealthy for me.
Posted by: JoelM

Re: Andy Warhol and Coca-Cola - 01/25/06 10:23 AM

And won the back of the toothpaste tube it says to call the poison control center if too much is ingested....fun fun.

Re: Andy Warhol and Coca-Cola - 01/25/06 10:24 AM

Re: Andy Warhol and Coca-Cola - 01/25/06 11:06 AM

NeuroPharmachology. Our brains and bodies are very much like a Walmart Pharmacy. Drugs that we can become addicted to are often only chemicaly manufactured cousins of what our system produces. In the same way we become additiced to chemicals we can become addicted to thoughts and ideas that trigger the production and release of endogenous chemical in our bodies. That chemical stew serves as the reward for our behavior. We can trigger endorphins or adreneline and in doing so relax or excite ourselves. Again anything we use to provide pleasure or avoid pain can be missued.

Re: Andy Warhol and Coca-Cola - 01/25/06 11:19 AM

Oldman...how did you get to be so smart? Is it all...chemically based?

Re: Andy Warhol and Coca-Cola - 01/25/06 11:50 AM

To come to a conclusion based on that line of reasoning you would also have to factor in time, energy and chance.

Quote:

Oldman...how did you get to be so smart?

As far as I can tell it was having parents that encouraged me with phrases such as...

"Idiot child"

"You couldn't find your A$$ with both hands"

G*d D@mn Dummy

And my personal favorite...

" You were supposed to be a girl"

Then you go to Cartoon College.

Re: Andy Warhol and Coca-Cola - 01/25/06 12:43 PM

Does 'reverse psychology' act as a poisen...or a cure?

Re: Andy Warhol and Coca-Cola - 01/25/06 12:49 PM

Quote:

Does 'reverse psychology' act as a poisen...or a cure?

Most definately!

Re: Andy Warhol and Coca-Cola - 01/25/06 01:49 PM

Not so much "reverse psychology" as " perverse psychology".

It's is like radiation or chemotherapy. It can kill you or be the beginning of a long road to restoring health and well being .