New Buddha??

Posted by: BuDoc

New Buddha?? - 11/22/05 12:46 PM

I try not to come around here too much. Alot of deep thinkers here and that scares me

I heard something on the radio this AM that you Zen types may find interesting or maybe you already know and can tell more.

Apparently, right now, in Tibet there is a young man that they are calling the "New Buddha".

Apparently this 15 year old kid has been sitting under a tree meditating for 6 months with no food or water

Sounds like a publicity stunt at best, flat out BS at worst.

But then again what do I know. I'm a heathen! or a Pagan at best! I'm sort of outside these guys jurisdiction

Page
Posted by: oldman

Re: New Buddha?? - 11/22/05 12:53 PM

No biggie. Half the girls in my daughter's class haven't eaten in 6 months. Most of them drink though.
Posted by: harlan

Re: New Buddha?? - 11/22/05 12:55 PM

I never hear the news...

However, about 'new buddhas': I don't know about the other branches of Buddhism, but the Tibetian schools believe that there was more than one Buddha. (Makes sense if you accept that idea of each of us having Buddha nature.) There is a prophecy of the Maitreya Buddha, and plenty of rascals out there right now claiming to be it.

A 'Buddha' is a 'realized being'...nothing special, really.
Posted by: WuXing

Re: New Buddha?? - 11/22/05 01:00 PM

Just keep practicing. We're all new buddhas.
Posted by: Prometej

Re: New Buddha?? - 11/22/05 02:00 PM

Talking about an ambitious diet
Posted by: nenipp

Re: New Buddha?? - 11/22/05 02:25 PM

I know a guy who hasn't eaten in six months, also his heart hasn't beaten in six months...
...we still miss him
Posted by: Ed_Morris

Re: New Buddha?? - 11/22/05 07:33 PM

news story here:
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/main.jht.../ixnewstop.html

Re: New Buddha?? - 11/22/05 08:31 PM

I'll leave it up to the Dalai Lama to comment on.
Posted by: eyrie

Re: New Buddha?? - 11/22/05 08:58 PM

I couldn't stop laughing....
Posted by: chickenchaser

Re: New Buddha?? - 11/23/05 12:21 AM

hmmm.i don't know what to make of this....

Re: New Buddha?? - 11/23/05 12:23 AM

I've often wondered this...think about this for a sec:

If the real Buddha,Jesus,Mohammed were born, let's say in the 1970's, how would they be viewed today? with laughter, spectical or reverence? I think the treatment would be pretty similar today or 500, 1000 or 2000 years ago...only later, do people usually realize real wisdom taught.

Their message eventually gets distorted and lost in time, but every once in a great while there is someone to remind us of it. 'saviors' indeed...saviors of a message. nothing more. nothing more important to people listening.

Even if this is a hoax to get those coins flowing into the village...locally at least, isn't it still a victory against suffering?
Posted by: ButterflyPalm

Re: New Buddha?? - 11/23/05 01:30 AM

Quote:

If the real Buddha,Jesus,Mohammed were born, let's say in the 1970's, how would they be viewed today? with laughter, spectical or reverence? I think the treatment would be pretty similar today or 500, 1000 or 2000 years ago...only later, do people usually realize real wisdom taught

All prophets are ahead of their times; if not, how could they be prophets in the first place. We don't call newscasters prophets do we, though we get news messages from them daily at 7.30?

Quote:

Their message eventually gets distorted and lost in time, but every once in a great while there is someone to remind us of it. 'saviors' indeed...saviors of a message. nothing more. nothing more important to people listening

If people listen at all, all prophets will be out of a job.

Quote:

Even if this is a hoax to get those coins flowing into the village...locally at least, isn't it still a victory against suffering?

Victory by deceit is not victory. To some, suffering is an end in itself; it has a cleansing effect, much like people who dip themselves in freezing water during winter.

As a side note, I've often being referred to by people who know me personally as the "Old Buddha" (in view of my sage-like looks and a thoughtful lack of concern for the mundane) which, incidentally, was my first choice as a username for this Forum, but, for good reason, thought better of it.

For reasons of topicality, can I change now? Ed Morris AFKA Kintama?
Posted by: Bushi_no_ki

Re: New Buddha?? - 11/23/05 01:36 AM

I'm not sure what to make of this, myself. A local radio show was talking about this today, but didn't go into details much. We'll have to wait and see what happens next.

Re: New Buddha?? - 11/23/05 07:49 AM

deceit. interesting choice of words. let's say 1,000 years from now people are remembering what this boy did to 'attain' enlightenment...lets say it inspires them to do the same.
Are those peoples paths based on a lie, since we know the boy was in kahoots on a peddling scam? or are peoples path true and only inspired from their belief that the boy was in good faith?

now, take those thoughts and apply them to current sources of people's faith. If tomorrow, it was absolutely proven without a doubt (hypothetically of course) that Jesus had ulterior motives, would it make people's inspiration any less? perhaps, perhaps not. All I'm saying is we might benefit to think deeper before writing 'buddha-boy's message off.

yes, you can change the subject if I'm boring you.

Re: New Buddha?? - 11/23/05 08:53 AM

Sorry...did 'Buddha boy' have a message? (I must have missed that in the story.) Was it for sale...or just the pics?

A clarification on 'deceit'. Operating in a realm where thought is real, one impure thought is as destructive as a train wreck. Enlightened individuals are in the pursuit of 'truth', and any form of hypocrisy would be viewed as detrimental to their evolution. There are instances where the activities of gurus can appear confusing to outsiders...but I don't think that that applies in this case.

Re: New Buddha?? - 11/23/05 09:29 AM

did he have a message? I don't know, does he? If people are talking about this 1,000 years from now will it make anything more or less valid?
To someone possibly, since they are already talking about building something on the spot. obviously, someone would want to 'remember' something that happened there....or maybe to mark another tourist attraction no different from the largest twine ball in Darwin, Minnesota? lol

Re: New Buddha?? - 11/23/05 10:02 AM

So...get off the fence. What do you think?

Here is a 'message' from a Buddha:

'Buddhas do not wash away ill deeds with water,
Nor remove transmigrators' sufferings with their hands,
Nor transfer their realizations to others.
Beings are freed through the teachings of the truth...
of the nature of things.'

If one basic teaching of Buddhism is the impermanence of things...why build for posterity? Whatever realization 'Buddha boy' may or may not have had...it is certain he is being managed by hucksters.

Re: New Buddha?? - 11/23/05 10:48 AM

maybe 'message' was a bad choice of words in this case...I should have said 'inspiration' maybe?

managed by hucksters? I'm sure THAT has never happened before
This isn't a new concept. How many things are blown out of proportion to make points to fit an agenda? relay someones unedited words of wisdom verbatum and nobody will follow you. spice the story up with some miracles and colorful language and people will be lined up at your door to sign up.

It's all about perception and how some guide the perception of others in order to meet an objective.

I walked the fence on this because I didn't want to offend anyone with my secular non-trust of people using spirituality as a tool for thought manipulation and values alignment to meet their very earthy goals and agendas.

....oops, I just fell off the fence

Re: New Buddha?? - 11/23/05 10:56 AM

"Examine your teachers carefully."
Posted by: phoenixsflame

Re: New Buddha?? - 11/23/05 11:08 AM

I've got to agree, but to play the devils advocate...

This boy has two obviously polar sides to this. He has said "I am not a Buddha", and to my knowledge he is not getting any money from the sale of the pictures or the Tea...

On the other hand. He did say "I am not a buddha, yet, I am along the levels of a Rinponche"

anyone proclaiming to be a Rinponche doesn't gain my respect. Such a title is not something one claims for themselves.

Any radical extreme of action does not strike me as a very Buddha/Boddhisatva/enlightened course of action.

Although on the other hand, sometimes it takes an act of extremism to center things on the middle path, yes?

In the end, it is meaningless to us, to any Buddhist or meditation practitioner what he finds there.

The path of Buddhism is not walked behind those who strive for enlightenment, but by cutting your own course. If you stay behind those strive to become a Buddha, you will never quite reach enlightenment will you?

Its an interesting story, don't get me wrong. I just don't think it should impact anyones practice more than a "Hmm. Interesting" and then let it go. The true practice of Zen.

Re: New Buddha?? - 11/23/05 11:12 AM

Yes. Thought the same...but if we didn't find something to talk about...this forum would be empty.

Quote:

In the end, it is meaningless to us, to any Buddhist or meditation practitioner what he finds there....Its an interesting story, don't get me wrong. I just don't think it should impact anyones practice more than a "Hmm. Interesting" and then let it go. The true practice of Zen.

Re: New Buddha?? - 11/23/05 11:19 AM

So from now on I'll just post "Hmm. Interesting" to all your posts Harlan.

Seriously though, I think discussing is very important, but the whole finger for the moon aspect can't be forgotten. We focus to much on words and we forget to practice. Practice to much and we forget to speak.

Yay for balance.

Re: New Buddha?? - 11/23/05 11:59 AM

Quote:

....oops, I just fell off the fence

Please allow us to provide a soft place to land.

Re: New Buddha?? - 11/23/05 12:11 PM

lol. I'd gladly accept and would probably deserve anything you could spare to leave behind.

Re: New Buddha?? - 11/23/05 11:43 PM

Quote:

yes, you can change the subject if I'm boring you.

Ah, see how easily things can be misunderstood within 24 hours, let alone 1000 years.

I did not mean changing the Topic, I meant my username. It is a technical question since you managed to change yours.

You did not fall from the fence; you were pushed

Re: New Buddha?? - 11/24/05 02:14 AM

I've been following this story and more and more suspicious things come out.

They hide him from view at night.

He has called himself a Rinponche... Which, is not a humble, enlightened thing to say.
A lot of what has "supposedly" said, and what has happened don't correlate very well.,

But, in the end. This is all heresay... I can't say for sure anything about him. I'd like to go and meet him, those who are on the road to enlightenment and those who have reached that certain plateu... They generate an energy that I've never felt before beyond that experience in another human being. Thus, I'd like to see what he felt like.

Re: New Buddha?? - 11/24/05 09:13 AM

I don't see why you have to go to Nepal to feel that energy. Plenty of approachable and enlightened teachers in different traditions travel to the US. Heck, if you are 'into' the energy paradigm...you can get an energy high right off of e-mail.

Why do you think so many folks get sucked into this forum?
Posted by: LastGURU

Re: New Buddha?? - 11/24/05 04:48 PM

Quote:

exactly. moreover, you do not need to seek enlightenment somewhere else, seek it in yourself and you will never need to go there, as you will already be there...

we are all Buddhas, we just forgot that...

Re: New Buddha?? - 11/24/05 10:26 PM

Quote:

I don't see why you have to go to Nepal to feel that energy. Plenty of approachable and enlightened teachers in different traditions travel to the US. Heck, if you are 'into' the energy paradigm...you can get an energy high right off of e-mail.

Oh no, I didn't mean to "Feel" that energy as in, "its the only place I think I can get it."

I meant, if I were in his presence, I could guage his energy better than a picture. I could see if he was a fake or not.

I agree, energy travels via the internet oddly well... It kind of worries me sometimes.

Re: New Buddha?? - 11/24/05 11:58 PM

Quote:

I agree, energy travels via the internet oddly well... It kind of worries me sometimes.

SHHH!
We don't want our ISP's to hear that...they might start billing us for the extra energy.

Re: New Buddha?? - 11/25/05 12:39 AM

Quote:

SHHH!
We don't want our ISP's to hear that...they might start billing us for the extra energy.

LOL They are crafty buggers! I'll see a bill. "Chi Conduit Fee's, 4.95, Chi Minutes Used, 300, Charge, 3,000 Dollars."

Re: New Buddha?? - 11/25/05 10:01 AM

No need to worry. If one doesn't acknowledge something it can't be measured. Consider it a 'free ride'.

But Buddha is the topic...

Re: New Buddha?? - 11/25/05 12:50 PM

just intercepted an energy message from Buddha-Boy to home:

Hello Muddah, hello Buddah;
Here I am at camp Nirvana.
Camp is very enlightening;
And they say we'll have some fun if my spirit glows and shows some brightening.

Re: New Buddha?? - 11/25/05 01:18 PM

Re: New Buddha?? - 11/25/05 01:22 PM

I'm keeping my eye for more information.

But, would the incarnation of the Siddhartha Buddha come and do something exactly the same to what he had done years ago? That doesn't seem to hold true to the spirit that he held in originality. Which seemed to be try the new road, taste the experience for yourself and let no ones actions previously guide where you yourself should go by unquestioned faith alone.

Does it not seem like a contradictory message, or am I looking to deeply into a simple thing?

Re: New Buddha?? - 11/25/05 01:28 PM

On the topic of 'new' buddhas:

Buddhas here.
Buddhas there.
Buddhas everywhere.
All in the eye of the beholder...I think. A case of you see what you are.

But an incarnation of another...reincarnation? That, to me, is a seperate topic.

Re: New Buddha?? - 11/25/05 01:36 PM

Well, in the end we are sleeping buddha's, but this one claims to be the buddha who awoke and founded the Eight Fold Path as it had been untold before. That for me seems to be a rather dramatic claim.

Re: New Buddha?? - 11/25/05 02:03 PM

You know, I had to reread that article to be sure...but nowhere does it say that the boy has claimed any such thing. What, exactly, was written in the article? What did you 'hear'?

Re: New Buddha?? - 11/25/05 02:20 PM

Quote:

You know, I had to reread that article to be sure...but nowhere does it say that the boy has claimed any such thing. What, exactly, was written in the article? What did you 'hear'?

It wasn't a hearing so much as a further reading of articles. There are a bunch of articles out there about him right now. Look for the BBC/UK Articles, they are the ones who provide some of the clearest information. I'm looking for the articles for you right now, one of the things that sets my warning flags up are :

Mahat, the journalist, said visitors could catch a glimpse of Banjan from a roped-off area about 80 feet away from him between dawn and dusk.

Followers then place a screen in front of him, blocking the view and making it impossible to know what’s happening with him at night, Mahat said.

“We could not say what happens after dark,” Mahat said. “People only saw what went on in the day, and many believed he was some kind of god.”

This makes me curious, does anyone have any real reason to be hidden while meditating? I mean I assume after six months it would take a great amount of energy to practice the osmosis. However, I would think that ten feet would be enough to keep your barriers up. And to place a screen up at night?? That sounds so curious. It reminds me of some of the extreme forms of worship some Modern Yogi's do to attain a place of "higher conciousness"... The man who rolled for miles and miles on his elbows and knee's, etc, etc, standing on his head for a week without food or water, all infront of people without hiding.

----

I can't find the editorial I found speaking of his occasional words. But, apparently at one point (from what I've read, no first hand experience here) the people were much closer to him, even touching him and prodding him a month or more ago. He spoke more frequently then, and when someone asked if he was the original Buddha of Compassion, Guatama Siddhartha, his answer was something approx. to :

"I sit beneath the kind of tree, I strive for the same thing. I am who I am."

That can be taken as both a negative and positive to the statement. Either "I sit beneath the kind of tree, I strive for the same thing. I am who I am (Who is Buddha)" or "I am just doing my thing, don't compare me to Buddha" But, the latter declarations of his "Status" as having the energy level of a Rinponche... It strikes me as particularly arrogant. At least in a small way, a way that I do not believe would be voiced if such things were done with true heart. But, I could definately be wrong.

Re: New Buddha?? - 11/25/05 02:28 PM

So, still there is no claim. You know, India is home to the 'fakir'.

What does it matter? What is more interesting is right here.

Re: New Buddha?? - 11/25/05 02:33 PM

Quote:

So, still there is no claim. You know, India is home to the 'fakir'.

What does it matter? What is more interesting is right here.

*laughs* I think even the most laymen of Buddhism realize if they claim to be the Buddha, they will not be the Buddha. It is those who claim to have no Buddha mind, who hold it closest to their heart. It matters little, I have said it before. It doesn't effect our Buddhism (or it shouldn't) But, it is always interesting to see the claims of prophets come and go.
Posted by: Foolsgold

Re: New Buddha?? - 11/25/05 09:40 PM

Quote:

Yes. Thought the same...but if we didn't find something to talk about...this forum would be empty.

A REAL zen forum wouldn't have any posts.

Re: New Buddha?? - 11/26/05 04:51 PM

Quote:

Quote:

A REAL zen forum wouldn't have any posts.

Ooohhhmmmmmmmmmmm [/meditate]

Re: New Buddha?? - 11/26/05 05:35 PM

Well, BuDoc, has the topic been sufficiently discussed?
Anything pertinent anyone else would like to add? If not, can I call for a vote (sounds like town meetin'! ) to close the thread?

Re: New Buddha?? - 11/26/05 05:38 PM

I move to amend Harlan's motion so that the thread is not closed, but only left dormant until further news on the subject develops.
Posted by: JoelM

Re: New Buddha?? - 11/26/05 05:42 PM

The buddha boy does not move.

Re: New Buddha?? - 11/26/05 05:55 PM

Fine. I'll ajourn this thread. Perhaps start my own:

Newsflash: you are Buddha

Re: New Buddha?? - 11/26/05 06:27 PM

I motion we now open a thread discussing Harlan.

And that motion, is a circular instep similar to the Baqua basic circle stepping.

Re: New Buddha?? - 11/28/05 08:32 AM

There is no harlan.

Re: New Buddha?? - 11/28/05 06:30 PM

Quote:

There is no harlan.

and by his absense he proves his presence?

Re: New Buddha?? - 11/28/05 09:40 PM

Quote:

...his....

*Clears throat loudly, yet diplomatically*

Re: New Buddha?? - 11/28/05 10:18 PM

Quote:

Quote:

...his....

*Clears throat loudly, yet diplomatically*

oops! I am very sorry... I forgot harlan is not a "he"... *bows ashamed to harlan: will you ever forgive me?*

on the other hand, you are differentiating opposite things again...

Re: New Buddha?? - 11/29/05 08:27 AM

There is no 'harlan' and no-thing to forgive.

Any more news, anyone, on Buddha-boy?

Re: New Buddha?? - 11/29/05 09:03 AM

I've yet to hear anything more... But, I think somewhere in my heart I had hoped the Buddha Boy would dawn a cape and big B on his chest and fight Crime.. Though I knew it was never to be. ;D I'll post any links I find in my internet travels.
Posted by: Metaphiz

Re: New Buddha?? - 12/05/05 03:54 PM

The question I am about to ask may seem retorical. I assure you it is not. I honestly want your opinion.
Does this "New Buddha" question matter to you or any of us for that matter? If so, why? If not why?

Re: New Buddha?? - 12/05/05 03:59 PM

Speaking for myself, not in the least.

Not that it could not be an important topic or deserve thoughtful responses. There is very little I could add.

Re: New Buddha?? - 12/05/05 04:04 PM

Ditto. Funnily enough, I just came back from the dentist...and the hygenist asked me 'hey...what do you think of the new buddha'?

Re: New Buddha?? - 12/05/05 05:46 PM

Quote:

The question I am about to ask may seem retorical. I assure you it is not. I honestly want your opinion.
Does this "New Buddha" question matter to you or any of us for that matter? If so, why? If not why?

I don't think it really matters at all, its an interesting point of contention and discussion. Yet, that is all it is, a point of interest for those who follow the Buddhist path.

I brought it up in hopes of creating discussion, thats kind of the point...

Re: New Buddha?? - 12/06/05 04:13 AM

The rhetoric of this matter is what matters to me. If this "new buddha" is real, then it adds a new dimension to the global political scene. If he is not "the real deal", then nothing changes for me.

Re: New Buddha?? - 12/06/05 10:40 AM

Quote:

The rhetoric of this matter is what matters to me. If this "new buddha" is real, then it adds a new dimension to the global political scene. If he is not "the real deal", then nothing changes for me.

That just about sums it up perfectly.

Re: New Buddha?? - 12/22/05 09:11 AM

http://cnn.netscape.cnn.com/gallery.jsp?...s-1&photo=5

Re: New Buddha?? - 12/22/05 09:29 AM

very significant photo/caption, oldman.

...so there IS suffering being generated by the non-act after all. makes me wonder, did Siddhartha hurt anyone by 'not being there'?

Re: New Buddha?? - 12/22/05 09:31 AM

Buddhas have Buddha karma.

Re: New Buddha?? - 12/22/05 05:48 PM

All suffering is individual. The cause of suffering is delusion, and attachment. That little sister will learn someday that it was not her brother's going away that causes her pain, but her perception and reaction to his going away. Her attachment causes her suffering. She will learn and one day be capable of releasing her attachment to delusion, and so will be released from this suffering. Maybe if her brother comes back and teaches the wisdom he may gain from his meditation, he will in fact help her to be releaved from all her suffering.

This is not to say her brother is or is not a Buddha...only he could know this. The important thing is to keep practicing.
Because there is no "other", there is no one besides You who is responsible for your own enlightenment/salvation.

Re: New Buddha?? - 12/22/05 10:05 PM

"You who is responsible for your own enlightenment/salvation"

What is the role of Buddhas in the relation to the enlightenment of others? Of Bodhisattvas? Or, for the more grounded...the role/opportunity to assist others in their paths?

As for suffering, do we not have responsibility for our actions that may cause suffering for others?

Re: New Buddha?? - 12/23/05 03:34 AM

Quote:

...so there IS suffering being generated by the non-act after all. makes me wonder, did Siddhartha hurt anyone by 'not being there'?

There is a story about Kuan Yin, the Chinese Goddess of Mercy, who was originally a man, but changed into a female form so that his wife and family will not be 'attached' to him/her.

Something like your wife (if you have one now) undergoing a sex change.

Re: New Buddha?? - 12/23/05 08:46 AM

The role of Buddhas and Bodhisattvas is to point the way for others to find their enlightenment.

We are responsible for all our actions, and whatever karma they may create. This is why one must be guided by their heart, their intuition, and not rely on logic. Relying on the logical mind, Siddharta never would have left his family for fear that they would be "hurt" by his leaving. But his actions produced something much more useful to them, and all those who hear his teachings, by pointing the way for all beings to be releaved of their suffering.

One must follow their heart. Guided by Love and compassion for all Beings, whatever temporary suffering may be indirectly caused by your actions is far outweighed by the good you will create through selfless action.

You could also think of it this way...by leaving "the home life", the Buddha did in fact give his family a chance to commit a selfless act for the good of all Beings, a gift which may have aided them in their own journeys towards enlightenment.

Sometimes what is not done is as important as what is done. Sometimes we do more good for someone by not being there, not saying something, not teaching. Pointing the way sometimes means not pointing.

Re: New Buddha?? - 12/23/05 09:09 AM

I tend to think that there is a karmic link between people in various lifetimes. I tend to think that suffering is very important...without it there would not be a ripening of compassion for others if we didn't experience suffering. So, if someone comes our way, and provides us an opportunity to grow via suffering...is that not an act of a Buddha?

Re: New Buddha?? - 12/23/05 10:14 AM

Exactly.

Re: New Buddha?? - 12/23/05 07:49 PM

I have posted an email from a listserve written by a Buddhist who recently visited the this area/person. Please read it with an open mind, as the person writing is coming from a spiritual framework (not martial):

Subject: [kagyu] A story on Palden Dorje (Ram Bomjon)

As some of you know I am in Nepal on pilgrimage to holy sites and saintly people. Some of you have probably heard about Palden Dorje (Ram Bomjon) who many are saying is the second Buddha, now living in the jungles of Nepal, enclosed in a Pipul Tree and having sat continuously in deep meditation for over six months without moving.
Equally remarkable, this great yogi has not taken food or water and is only fifteen years old. He has only begun his quest and has stated that he will continue sitting for six years. Yesterday I went out to see him with three friends from Manang , two of whom are themselves accomplished dharma practitioners. Below is a summary of the trip for
those who might be interested.

The jungle where Palden Dorje is staying is about an 8 hour drive from Kathmandu. We thought it was much shorter and arrived late, at almost sunset. This turned out to be a good thing, as the crowds had left some time before and we were among the few there. There are two perimeter boundaries surrounding the tree where Palden Dorje sits.
These are there to keep crowds at least 100 feet away from the yogi. Palden Dorje's brother was amongst those in charge of the site and came up to talk to me after I completed some prostrations. He offered to take me inside the perimeter to be closer to his brother and to light butter lamps on a small shrine set up for that purpose. This I did accompanied with two of my Managi companions. The other companion was not permitted to enter, presumably because they did not want more than the three of us inside (after we were done our friend was allowed in.)

In my life I have never seen anyone as still as Palden Dorji. I have seen yogis and great teachers motionless in Samadhi; but this was a different kind of stillness and I will never forget it.

We arrived December 20, and Palden Dorji had just a few days earlier completed 7 months sitting in the same spot without food or water. He has spoken and moved only twice. Once when he got bit by a snake (many believe a cobra) and another to answer some questions put to him by his brother at the request of pilgrims. There were two snake bites,
one of which turned his flesh purple. He requested that no help be called for, but simply asked that a cloth be draped in front of the tree for five days.

I found it interesting that no one stays with him at night to protect him (against wild animals or wild people.) His brother and a Tibetan Lama as well as a few other guardians all leave at night and come back in the early morning. Perhaps the jungle is too raw and they are
afraid (this is in the Chitwan reserve area known for tigers, rhino, elephants, etc.) I have come to find out this evening that the problem of danger (particularly human) is a concern shared by many and that currently Tibetan lamas are in discussion with the government of
Nepal (whoever that is) to create a safer environment for him.

I would like to point out that early on Palden Dorji stated that he is not the second Buddha and that he is only a very high bodhisattva and the aim of his current meditation and austerity is to bring him closer to his goal of Buddhahood. He made it plain that he does not wish to be referred to as "Buddha," a wish for the most part ignored.

A short bio of Palden Dorji's life and family has been published in Nepalese. I am currently in the process of getting it translated into English. I hope to have it done in a week or so. I intend to publish it on the web at: buddhadharma.com when it is completed (1st or
second week of January) . So if you are interested check there first or second week of January.

-Richard

Re: New Buddha?? - 12/27/05 03:03 AM

Quote:

All suffering is individual. The cause of suffering is delusion, and attachment. That little sister will learn someday that it was not her brother's going away that causes her pain, but her perception and reaction to his going away. Her attachment causes her suffering. She will learn and one day be capable of releasing her attachment to delusion, and so will be released from this suffering. Maybe if her brother comes back and teaches the wisdom he may gain from his meditation, he will in fact help her to be releaved from all her suffering.

This is not to say her brother is or is not a Buddha...only he could know this. The important thing is to keep practicing.
Because there is no "other", there is no one besides You who is responsible for your own enlightenment/salvation.

I think I would rather be sad than unattached. I've tried both.

I also think that if this guy knows that people miss him, he is deluding himself. What a waste of his time.
Posted by: JoelM

Re: New Buddha?? - 12/27/05 03:30 AM

Would having a bad memory qualify as being under the "unattached" category?

I've been somewhat unattached in my past. Having my father working for the military I moved around and had friends move away somewhat often in my past. I think I learned to be unattached to people and places so I wouldn't get hurt as much when the inevitable happened. I don't mean completely unattached, more of less-attached.

I like my level of attachment, whatever it may be (very, very hard to describe)

New Buddhism? - 12/31/05 11:13 AM

FYI:

Not really related, but the December 2005 issue of National Geographic has a piece on Buddhism.
Posted by: Reiki

Re: New Buddha?? - 01/02/06 01:26 AM

I think it's like Schrodinger's cat.

Cat?

No cat?

Who can be sure?

Interesting that he has taken the name of Dorje.
Which is the Thunderbolt symbol "weapon" found in Tibet and India.

Missing Buddha Boy - 03/20/06 08:26 AM

buddha boy missing
Posted by: Dauragon c mikado

Re: Missing Buddha Boy - 03/21/06 09:16 AM

The search continues

Update: Missing Buddha Boy - 12/27/06 10:47 AM

An update on the strange story:

Missing Buddha boy reappears in southern Nepal

Published Tuesday, December 26, 2006
http://www.twoharborsmn.com/asap/index.cfm?page=asap_view&id=D8M8Q0Q80
The missing Buddha boy is back.

The teenage boy who many believe is the reincarnation of Buddha has reappeared in the jungles of southern Nepal months after he went missing, an official said Tuesday.

___

ABOUT THE BOY

Ram Bahadur Banjan, 15, was last seen March 11 in a forest where he had meditated allegedly without food and water for 10 months. Thousands of Hindus and Buddhists flocked to see him every day.

Banjan disappeared from his meditating spot among the roots of a tree in Bara, about 100 miles south of the capital Katmandu, where he had sat cross-legged and motionless with his eyes closed.

Many followers believe Banjan is a reincarnation of Gautama Siddhartha, who was born not far away in southwestern Nepal around 500 B.C. and later became revered as the Buddha.

Buddhist priests who visited the boy, however, said he was not the incarnation of Buddha. The priests did believe the boy had been meditating for months.

Buddhism teaches that right thinking and self-control can enable people to achieve nirvana -- a divine state of peace and release from desire. Buddhism has about 325 million followers, mostly in Asia.

___

SPOTTED BY HERDERS

The boy was spotted by cattle herders in the jungle Sunday and a team of police and officials was sent Monday to investigate, said Harihar Dahal, an administrative official in the area.

Speaking to those gathered around him, Banjan said he had been at the same spot for three days.

"Apparently there were some people who spotted me. I was deep in meditation and did not even know that there were people around," he said.

Re: Update: Missing Buddha Boy - 12/27/06 04:50 PM

Quote:

"Apparently there were some people who spotted me. I was deep in meditation and did not even know that there were people around," he said.

Doesn't sound like he was meditating...sounds like he was sleeping.

thanks for following the story harlan...I bet in another 6 months 'buddha boy' will have a movie deal and vegas schedule. -either that or he'll open a convience store in Soho.

thats the tricky thing with fame...never know which way it goes - they luv ya - they hate ya ....

Re: Update: Missing Buddha Boy - 12/30/06 05:12 PM

What I don't understandis why nobody brought up Buddha's words which I believe were somthing like "Once enlightenment is rerached the cycle of reincarnation ends".

If this is true then how can this boy be the reincarnation of Buddha? (assuming buddha was enlightened in the first place and the rule applies).

Re: Update: Missing Buddha Boy - 01/06/07 06:31 AM

No answers? I'll forever remain in ignorance then...

Re: Update: Missing Buddha Boy - 04/22/07 07:40 AM

Well, well, well...Buddha boy shows up. Not exactly the return of the prodigal son:

http://www.kantipuronline.com/kolnews.php?&nid=104913

‘Buddha boy’ found meditating in pit

BY UPENDRA LAMICHHANE

NIJGADH, March 28 - Ram Bahadur Bomjon, popularly known as the "Buddha Boy", who stole the limelight after spending months in meditation, reportedly without food and water, has been found again, meditating inside a pit dug underground at Ratanpuri recently.
Bomjon, who had started meditation under a Pipal tree in the village, had gone missing since March 11, 2006, and again reappeared on December 25 the same year.

According to Inspector Rameshwor Yadav of the Area Police Post Nijgadh, Bomjon was inside the bunker-like square ditch of seven feet.

"We call it bunker," he said, adding, " Although it's seven feet deep, there is no lack of oxygen inside," said Yadav, who claimed to have seen him going inside it from close range Monday.

A police team, under the command of Yadav, had gone to the place after word of Bomjon being on underground meditation spread in the area.

"His face was clean and hair was combed well," Yadav said. According to him, "the bunker" has been cemented from all sides with roof of tiles.

Even as frequent "hide and seek" were continuing, some locals recently spotted him in the local forest on 9th March.

After his mysterious disappearance last year, his "disciples" had claimed that he had gone in search of a peaceful place for the purpose, as thousands of curious people began visiting him daily then. However, a few others had even termed it a ploy of his followers to earn popularity and money.

Indra Lama, a local, who has been deployed as caretaker for him since he began meditation, said the "bunker" was prepared as per Bomjon's order.

"After granting audience a week ago, he expressed his desire to meditate inside the ground; so we built it," he said.
Posted by: Taison

Re: Update: Missing Buddha Boy - 04/22/07 01:16 PM

In Theravada Buddhism (The one practice in Thailand, Burma and Sri Lanka) we believe that Lord Buddha has already LEFT us through Nirvana. Those monks in Tibet, China, Korea and Japan, we have no idea what they are doing. None whatsoever. They conflict with their own stuff again and again the monk society in Sri Lanka said to its satellites (Thailand and Burma) "Just ignore them and let's focus on attaining Nirvana".

-Taison out