new to the subject in question

Posted by: chickenchaser

new to the subject in question - 11/06/05 08:49 PM

i am very interested in meditation and zen.however i know nothing about it an was wondering if anyone have any suggestions to get me started in the right direction.like books or how you started out i know this might seem like a dumb question but i have heard that a true fool never asks and remains a fool.
Posted by: b4gu4

Re: new to the subject in question - 11/06/05 11:07 PM

Quote:

i am very interested in meditation and zen.however i know nothing about it an was wondering if anyone have any suggestions to get me started in the right direction.like books or how you started out i know this might seem like a dumb question but i have heard that a true fool never asks and remains a fool.

I would normally suggest that you find a (qualified) teacher but those are very hard to come by, not everyone is as lucky as me and my ex .
The Book of Secrets (Hardcover)
by Osho
Its a great book and its helping my ex with her meditation (enlightenment)... but the whole detachment thing sort of sucks and im still working on it, anywho. The book should help -but I would still try to find a qualified teacher because questions will arise that you will not be able to answer yourself.
Posted by: harlan

Re: new to the subject in question - 11/07/05 08:23 AM

I suggest that you do a search on this forum on the words 'meditation', 'zen', or 'buddhism', etc. Check out the 'links' thread, and check out a good library (to save the expense of buying).
Posted by: Jessero

Re: new to the subject in question - 11/07/05 08:40 PM

a good book: Zanshin - by Vince Morris (i picked it up at Borders)
a great book: One day, One Lifetime - by Tadashi Nakamura (according to amazon.com its out of print, but i recommend hunting this one down, especially if you are a Karate-ka)
Posted by: ButterflyPalm

Re: new to the subject in question - 11/07/05 10:31 PM

Just read every thread in this Forum and you are half way there -- it happened to me; though that is not strictly true -- nothing 'happens' in Zen, you just BEEEEEE, I think; though that is not strictly true also -- you don't 'think', just FEEEEEL, I think....OOOOppps.