Meditation, Chi, and Buddhism

Posted by: yorik17

Meditation, Chi, and Buddhism - 10/28/05 09:05 AM

I recently read an article concerning the meditation methods of Buddhism. I have been trying to study Buddhism, but to follow rules (Eight-Fold) is very difficult due to the normalitites of everyday society. When I was reading about the meditation methods, however, they mentioned that when you meditate, the focus and amount of your chi increases. I have read several things on meditation and chi, but none like this. It said that when you meditate, focus on something simple, like one star in a blackened sky, and nothing else, breathe deep, and so on. It said that due to this meditation, your chi will increase, making you feel lighter and more flexible to things, as well as being warmer when others are colder (not because I am wearing a jacket or something). Is any of this true?

Also, what are the differences between ZEN Buddhism and "normal" Buddhism?

Other replies can be sent to me here.
yorik17@hotmail.com
Posted by: WuXing

Re: Meditation, Chi, and Buddhism - 10/28/05 05:24 PM

http://hjem.get2net.dk/civet-cat/zen-writings.htm

http://hjem.get2net.dk/civet-cat/mahayana-writings.htm

http://hjem.get2net.dk/civet-cat/theravada-writings.htm

Everyone who wants to know about Buddhism, or who already knows about Buddhism, should check out this site. It is a single-stop site for Buddhist writings. It has all the major sutras, discusses Theravada, Mahayana and Ch'an/Zen. There are some Taoist writings, too.

Re: Meditation, Chi, and Buddhism - 10/29/05 10:57 PM

All links above read as follows.

404 - Document not found
The page you requested was not found.
You may have found an outdated link or a typing error.
Try again, or review main page for get2net's users at hjem.get2net.dk.
Posted by: oldman

Re: Meditation, Chi, and Buddhism - 10/29/05 11:55 PM

How ironic, a search for zen that turns up nothing.
Posted by: Kintama

Re: Meditation, Chi, and Buddhism - 10/30/05 01:46 AM

Quote:

LOL. That has to be the funniest thing I've heard in the Zen forum.
Posted by: rideonlythelabel

Re: Meditation, Chi, and Buddhism - 10/30/05 01:33 AM

Quote:

Great post!
Posted by: nenipp

Re: Meditation, Chi, and Buddhism - 10/30/05 10:19 AM

Quote:

Quote:

LOL. That has to be the funniest thing I've heard in the Zen forum.

And to think it would come from Oldman of all posters, amazing
Posted by: WuXing

Re: Meditation, Chi, and Buddhism - 10/30/05 03:57 PM

Too bad, the page must have gone down just recently. It really was a great site. It's all illusory anyway, I guess. Especially on the internet.

Re: Meditation, Chi, and Buddhism - 10/31/05 12:50 PM

Quote:

If that is insulting what I am trying to ask, then you're mistaken. If not, then...alright.

But anywho, are any of you here practitioners of Buddhism? (Meaning that you actually study with a buddhist master and/or study on your own.)
I have read, but cannot find it again, that there is a name for a Buddhist that studies independently... (This is probably what I should aim for.) If this is something true, can you reach 'enlightenment' by studying on your own? I have began to realize that even though I am not thoroughly involved in studying Buddhism, I am realizing things that a Buddhist should notice that I don't wish to take the time to explain, but I'm sure that you all know what I am talking about...

Oh, I'm sure you've all heard of this site, but in case you haven't, this is a very interesting site. It has E-books, practice methods, and much more... It's worth checking.

http://www.buddhanet.net
Posted by: harlan

Re: Meditation, Chi, and Buddhism - 10/31/05 12:59 PM

I think that if you want to really learn more about Buddhism online...that you might consider trying other forums that focus on that. Try the "Links" thread.

The focus of this website is martial arts, but this section appeals to many who are interested in the philosophies that inform their studies.

Re: Meditation, Chi, and Buddhism - 11/02/05 01:04 PM

Thank you for those, Harlan.

I recently read an E-Book from http://www.buddhanet.net/pdf_file/gqga2.pdf which is entitled Good Question, Good Answer. I found some interesting things in there, including the different types of Buddhism, some of which I haven't heard of! (Pure Land Buddhism, Yogacara Buddhism and Vajrayana Buddhism) I didn't see 'Mahayana Buddhism' which I believe it is called. But I will still have to read some more E-books for definitions for the different types of Buddhism. Speaking of reading books, I recently bought a book that I saw on sale entitled 'A Buddhist Bible' by Dwight Goddard. So far, it is rather odd, but is describing the life of Suddharta Guatama. The problems with this are that it switches times and names of the Buddha and leave you confused (as you all know, the Buddha has many different titles). If any others happen to have this book, let me know.

Another thing, in the E-book I mentioned before, there was a passage from something that I wish to know its origin:

Quote:

If a person suffering from a disease does not seek treatment even when there is a physician at hand, it is not the fault of that physician. In the same way, if a person is oppressed and tormented by the disease of the defilements but does not seek the help of the Buddha, that is not the Buddha's fault. JN 28-9

Did this come from some sort of bible? And speaking of bibles, are there any online bibles for Buddhism that one knows of? (A bible that is written like the Christian Bible.)

Thanks again to all...