Daily Zen - 10/10/05 02:10 PM

And as to me,
I know nothing
else but miracles.

- Walt Whitman
Posted by: sunspots

Re: Daily Zen - 10/10/05 03:51 PM

Nice one, Joel, thanks.

This one reminds me to be grateful for all the things I take for granted. For instance, at the grocery store. I can get things from the other side of the planet with ease. I can have 6 different kinds of potatoes if I want. I can get my food already prepared for me. I am a very lucky person, and am grateful for these everyday miracles.
Posted by: SANCHIN31

Re: Daily Zen - 10/10/05 04:48 PM

It's not good to take things for granted as the last few months have pointed out to me.Also we shouldn't take eachother for granted ,even strangers.
I've experienced remarks about being a skinhead,stares,people purposefully avoiding looking at me,and people going out of their way to be too nice to me,none of it feels very good.
You never know where someone has been or what they are going through just by looking at them. There are miracles in all of us,let's take care of eachother.
I hope this had something to do with the topic.
Posted by: JoelM

Re: Daily Zen - 10/11/05 01:42 AM

To be enlightened is to be intimate with all things.

- Dogen
Posted by: harlan

Re: Daily Zen - 10/11/05 09:07 AM

I could interprete that in a few ways. It is said that 'enlightenment' is all or nothing. With that in mind, I don't think I would aspire for that level of 'intimacy' with the entire world. Just too 'raw'.

Re: Daily Zen - 10/12/05 02:37 AM

Jump into salvation while you are alive. What you call “salvation” belongs to the time before death.

- Kabir

Re: Daily Zen - 10/13/05 01:44 AM

A clearly enlightened person falls in the well. How is this so?

- Zen Koan

Re: Daily Zen - 10/13/05 09:19 AM

Nobody's perfect?
Posted by: nenipp

Re: Daily Zen - 10/13/05 10:41 AM

Because there's no differance between him/her and the reflexion?
Posted by: Bushi_no_ki

Re: Daily Zen - 10/14/05 11:50 PM

The clearly enlightened person needs to keep his enlightened eyes off the clouds and on the path of enlightenment, otherwise he falls in the well of contentment and drowns in the water of satisfaction.
Posted by: Foolsgold

Re: Daily Zen - 10/15/05 10:58 PM

Quote:

And as to me,
I know nothing
else but miracles.

- Walt Whitman

In The Great Divorce there was a great demonstration of this. It's religious, but not offensive (I don't think ).

One of the angels was pointing out that a virgin birth was not such a miracle when one realizes that every birth is a miracle. Even when grass sprouts from the ground it's a miracle. God (the religious point) makes the baby grow, why such a miracle when no male is included?

Re: Daily Zen - 10/16/05 04:05 AM

Having given up my right to truth and justice, how do I find myself in its midst? Once again, we find that only by giving something away can we come to possess it.

-Myself, pondering in the shower

Re: Daily Zen - 10/16/05 11:34 PM

Even though you know a thousand things, ask the man who knows one.

- Turkish Proverb
Posted by: rideonlythelabel

Re: Daily Zen - 10/17/05 10:13 AM

Q: What did the Zen Buddist say to the hot dog Vendor?
A: "Make me one with everything."

Re: Daily Zen - 10/17/05 11:12 AM

Re: Daily Zen - 10/17/05 11:39 AM

I think that's more for the Funny Zen thread. But yes, funny.
Posted by: Christie

Re: Daily Zen - 10/17/05 12:02 PM

haha, "make me one with everything" .... good one
Posted by: Kujaku

Re: Daily Zen - 10/18/05 12:43 PM

Heres two:

Whether people be of high or low birth, rich or poor, old or young, enlightened or confused, they
are all alike in that they will one day die. It is not that we don't know that we are going to die, but we grasp at
straws. While knowing that we will die someday, we think that all the others will die before us and that we will be the
last to go. Death seems a long way off.
--Hagakure, The Book of the Samurai--By Yamamoto Tsunetomo

Other people are happily gathered, as if readying to partake in an exquisite banquet, to view a spring parade. I stand alone, quietly, inconspicuously. Innocently, as if an infant not knowing how to smile; Aimlessly, as if a wanderer not knowing where to go. Other people have much to spare; I, alone, am bare. Perhaps my foolish heart. Common people glow; I, alone, am in the dark. Common people are alert; I, alone, am stark. Other people are skillful; I, alone am clumsy and bashful. I am different from others; I treasure being embraced by Direction. --Lao Tzu

Re: Daily Zen - 10/19/05 02:14 AM

Quote:

Whether people be of high or low birth, rich or poor, old or young, enlightened or confused, they
are all alike in that they will one day die. It is not that we don't know that we are going to die, but we grasp at
straws. While knowing that we will die someday, we think that all the others will die before us and that we will be the last to go. Death seems a long way off.
--Hagakure, The Book of the Samurai--By Yamamoto Tsunetomo

Unfortunately there are too many that do go before us.

I believe there is a saying something like "while being focused on the goal, we lose track of the path." If we focus too much on death, then how can we actually live our lives. Know that it is there, just as our birth was there, just as so many of the steps behind and ahead are there, it is only another part of the journey.
Is it any more or less important than the other parts?

Re: Daily Zen - 10/19/05 08:06 AM

"Is it any more or less important than the other parts?"

Yes, slightly.

Re: Daily Zen - 10/20/05 02:58 AM

Thank you, nenipp.

Re: Daily Zen - 10/20/05 02:59 AM

My mind is my own church.

- Thomas Paine

Re: Daily Zen - 10/20/05 10:22 AM

How true! My favorite childhood 'church' memory was of running into the building early...so I could jump off the balcony without being seen, and running off into the woods. Time spent wandering, sitting under trees and looking up through the wooded canopy, running through piles of autumn leaves...with no sense of time.
Posted by: oldman

Re: Daily Zen - 10/20/05 10:36 AM

Many people find church a Paine.

Re: Daily Zen - 10/20/05 12:31 PM

why, because they have to go tomass?

Re: Daily Zen - 10/20/05 12:57 PM

Quote:

why, because they have to go tomass?

Nobody has to do anything, its choice. Everything we do or don't do is a choice on our part. No matter how much influence on us to do it there is out there, we choose whether to succomb to that influence or not.
Posted by: oldman

Re: Daily Zen - 10/20/05 01:02 PM

tomass Paine... it's a joke...... sorry guys

Re: Daily Zen - 10/20/05 01:12 PM

Quote:

tomass Paine... it's a joke...... sorry guys

*whoosh* ..... *crickets*

Re: Daily Zen - 10/21/05 01:50 AM

I get it, I get it!!!

Re: Daily Zen - 10/21/05 01:52 AM

Cooking, eating, sleeping, every deed of everyday life is nothing else than the Great Matter. Realize this! So we extend tender care with a worshipping heart even to such beings as beasts and birds-but not only to beasts, not only to birds, but to insects too, ok? Even to grass, to one blade of grass, even to dust, to one speck of dust. Sometimes I bow to the dust...

- Soen Nakagawa

Re: Daily Zen - 10/21/05 11:10 AM

Yes I'm sorry to, got carried away...
...I blame Oldman though

btw not until now did I realise that my little addition must seem kinda weird for you guys who speek good english (the name Thomas is pronounced differently where I come from), so I feel more than a bit silly

and I can understand that it led to a bit of misunderstanding on the part of christie

Chim Cher-ee - 10/24/05 12:32 AM

Now as the ladder of life has been strung
You may think a Sweep's on the bottom-most rung
Though I spend my time in the ashes and smoke
In this whole wide world there's no happier bloke

Re: Chim Cher-ee - 10/25/05 08:24 AM

Happiness is a state of mind. Obviously, a lesson Cinder-Ella never learned.
Posted by: Cord

Re: Chim Cher-ee - 10/25/05 08:40 AM

Quote:

Now as the ladder of life has been strung
You may think a Sweep's on the bottom-most rung
Though I spend my time in the ashes and smoke
In this whole wide world there's no happier bloke

A sweep is fella that is full of joy,
More than can be said for the stable-boy,
A sweep's lot may involve ashes and smoke,
but the lot of the stable-boy is more a joke,
A sweep needs manners, guile and wit,
A stable boy doesnt he just shovels .....