Zen, ADD, and MA

Posted by: Bushi_no_ki

Zen, ADD, and MA - 09/18/05 01:25 PM

As I've stated before, I have Adult ADD (with a strong hyperactivity component), and I find that often my replies aren't as clear and concise as I'd like to be. After eight years of not taking any medication for ADD, I have given strong consideration to starting meds again, as the whole thing is beginning to cause a serious disruption of my life. I continually think about the problem, and am fairly certain that meds may now be the right choice, as several new meds have come out in the last eight years. My thoughts are this, what is the perspective of Zen Buddhism regarding this, as we are talking an Eastern Philosophy with strong ties to Eastern medicine. I don't want to make excuses for my life, but on the other hand, I can't continue the way I have been doing things, for I can't survive like this. It can be an interference with MA as I can't always focus on the task at hand, even if it is something I normally enjoy. And it can interfere with any meditation, as I can't exactly meditate if I can't sit still, or keep my mind from wandering. Your thoughts please.
Posted by: harlan

Re: Zen, ADD, and MA - 09/18/05 02:53 PM

1. Is ADD a condition that worsens over time? If yes, heck...take the meds if it improves the quality of life. Does it improve your cognitive abilities...yes again...take the meds.

2. You might want to also pose your question in a forum that is predominately Buddist or zen. I really like this very quiet forum...the folks are compassionate and meditative.

http://www.newbuddhist.com/forum/index.php?

Best.

Re: Zen, ADD, and MA - 09/18/05 03:44 PM

Thank you harlan, that does look like a very good site. I have registered there and will pose my question.
Posted by: oldman

Re: Zen, ADD, and MA - 09/18/05 04:10 PM

I understand your frustration. I would like to think that if it proved beneificial to your well being anyone would be happy for you. Except perhaps Tom Cruse.
Posted by: Foolsgold

Re: Zen, ADD, and MA - 09/19/05 01:00 AM

Just remember that it isn't weakness if you take the meds to improve your life. I heard the difference between good dependency and bad dependency described like this once: If it gives you new options or choices, it's good, and if it takes away options or choices, it's bad.

Quote:

I understand your frustration. I would like to think that if it proved beneificial to your well being anyone would be happy for you. Except perhaps Tom Cruse.

Shh! You don't know who might be watching!

Re: Zen, ADD, and MA - 09/19/05 11:46 AM

Well foolsgold, that settles it, and thank you.

Starting the meds again will only open doors. Who knows, I might even finish a semester of Japanese without failing. It would certainly be nice to be able to finish school, that's for certain.