American Zen

Posted by: Bushi_no_ki

American Zen - 09/18/05 01:18 PM

An interesting point, Buddhism is one of the fastest growing religions in the US. The "Zen" aspect is very popular, via MA schools. Obviously there has been some changes to the philosophies in the US as it is being adopted by an entirely different culture. A good case in point would be Christianity, which originally came out of Judaism, with the belief that Messiah had come. But most Western Christians don't adhere to the full Rabbinic Law, especially the dietary restrictions. Thus, Christianity has taken on a life of it's own, so to speak. As for Zen, what is that effect, what predictions do you make for the future of American Zen, and would you consider it a good thing?
Posted by: Kintama

Re: American Zen - 09/18/05 01:42 PM

IMO, its not growing fast enough.

half-kidding aside, first the term "American Zen" is meaningless...since beliefs in general should not be tied to nationalism...a very dangerous thing to do as ancient and modern history should have taught us.

but I know thats not what you meant...you mean Zen/Buddhism as it is practiced in the US. The way that I've seen MA schools present it is in terms of social harmony thru individual betterment and respect for others and life.
If that gains in popularity reguardless of what it is called or what country it comes from, I'm happy to see it and be a part of it.

Re: American Zen - 09/18/05 01:47 PM

Yes, thank you for clarifying a very dangerous point Kin. That is exactly what I meant. Social harmony through individual betterment. That is a very good way to describe what Zen is becoming in the US. And it is a good thing to be. But here's a though, are we looking at Zen losing the concept of abstract thought in the US? Abstract thinking is one of the defining aspects of Zen, and concrete thinking is what much of Western thought is based upon.
Posted by: ButterflyPalm

Re: American Zen - 09/18/05 09:59 PM

Zen, like anything else is subject to the Yin / Yang laws.

America is very much "Yang" So, maybe we may see a kind of "hard" / "external" Zen; as in "hard" / "external" MA? A kind of Zen that is utilitarian; goal oriented; aggressive even?
Posted by: Foolsgold

Re: American Zen - 09/19/05 12:55 AM

Quote:

half-kidding aside, first the term "American Zen" is meaningless...since beliefs in general should not be tied to nationalism...a very dangerous thing to do as ancient and modern history should have taught us.

I have to disagree on one point. It's the nationalism itself that is an endangerment, not the connection. The connection of nationalism to belief is an empowerment, enhancing the effects of the preset bigotry, but it's the nationalism itself that is the evil.

Just trying to keep priorities in order .
Posted by: harlan

Re: American Zen - 09/19/05 07:09 AM

Nationalism is evil? That is a very un-zen like attitutde! Where would Poland be if not for latent Nationalism...oh...and the Pope!

Seriously, is the question 'how is zen practiced in the USA vs. elsewhere?' Is 'zen' practiced elsewhere more religious? It seems that in the USA there is the spectrum of spiritual/religious zen practice to looking it as a tool for insight, pain management, etc.

My zen is not your zen?

Re: American Zen - 09/19/05 11:48 AM

It's not so much a question of how Zen is practiced elsewhere, but how is Zen evolving and growing to fit American culture, which is different from the Asian cultures that Zen originally evolved in.
Posted by: oldman

Re: American Zen - 09/19/05 12:13 PM

I can't help but imagine a MegaZendo with huge parking lots filled with large SUVs. Also a bookstore and a Coffee bar in the lobby. Maybe Suzuki will even produce a hybrid vehical called the "Roshi".
Posted by: Kintama

Re: American Zen - 09/19/05 03:16 PM

The all-nonorganic 'Buddha Burger' !

selling tagline:
"Nothing killed in the name of the Buddha!"

or how about: Nirvana-Land!
"Reaching all Kids... come explore on the Path to Enlightenment and visit the Zendo playroom with lotsa zafus, zabutons and Zazen pillow rides; meanwhile Mom and Dad can visit the SuperSutraRoom..."
Posted by: don_juan

Re: American Zen - 11/13/05 06:00 PM

i belived that zen in america is not growing that fast. at my school their is only about 2 ppl who even heard of it. my teacher Mr. keefer has heard of it and he told me of some books to read for it. but does anyone know how i can get more info. on zen in the US?

Re: American Zen - 11/13/05 07:26 PM

First off, check your local bookstore or library. There are several fine writings on the subject of Zen.

Now, Zen itself is growing in the US, mostly in larger cities. The whole idea is what is it becoming in the US?

Re: American Zen - 11/13/05 07:31 PM

o that can explanned it i live in a samll town
Posted by: Foolsgold

Re: American Zen - 11/14/05 05:02 PM

Well, zen probably hasn't made an appearance in Indanina yet .

Just kidding, welcome to FA.

Re: American Zen - 11/14/05 06:36 PM

lol.. i guess u have a point
Posted by: spectrum

Re: American Zen - 11/17/05 10:49 PM

Quote:

An interesting point, Buddhism is one of the fastest growing religions in the US.

An interesting counterpoint Christinity is the fastest growing religion in China.

Re: American Zen - 11/21/05 03:37 PM

That's what you call Ironic.