Death of Daily Zen?

Posted by: JoelM

Death of Daily Zen? - 07/13/05 12:34 AM

I hope not...

I have to apologize for the abrupt discontinuation of the Daily Zen thread. It was a selfish act on my part and I actually feel like crap for doing it. I have been undersome stress in the recent week(s) with some aspects in my life changing/wanting to change. I realize that abandoning something so possibly centering(? best word I could find) as Daily Zen was an incedibly dumbass-ed move, but it was a conscious decision by me.
Another part of the hiatus was a test to see if people really wanted it here. I was a bit depressed that it took 7 days after the last "day" for somebody to ask about it. But now I am even more depressed that I did this to all of you needlessly.

I am not as strong as I wish to be or I even make myself out to be sometimes. When the times got tough I took down my calendar and put it behind me (literally).
This is not a cry for help (I think) or a cry for sympathy, just a heartfelt apology and me trying to open my heart to people who derserve nothing less.

I know there will be more than enough of people showing their love here, but I really want to hear from the people who were upset, disappointed, or whatever by the absence of the Daily Zen. Please, be honest.

-Joel
Posted by: Kintama

Re: Death of Daily Zen? - 07/13/05 12:54 AM

I'll crack the ice and say with all honesty, it was a good break. reflection without language does the mind and heart good.
I've been posting too much...I'm going to take a break myself.
Posted by: ButterflyPalm

Re: Death of Daily Zen? - 07/13/05 01:06 AM

To apologize is to admit faults, shortcomings or failings.

I see nothing of that sort here.

In any case, to apologize is not Zen, which erects no boundary and encompasses no time.
Posted by: Cord

Re: Death of Daily Zen? - 07/13/05 02:22 AM

Dude, Its not like its your job or anything! You dont have a responsibility or obligation to do anything on this forum other than delete trolls.You are not a performing seal.

'roll up, roll up! see the philosophising Joel!!! Captured in the wilds of america, trained by tibetan masters via the internet!!! Do not get to close to the bars children, it aint been fed yet'

i missed my daily ponder, it has become an institution that many look forward to, but life has to take priority over typing stuff on a forum. Sometimes $hit happens.

The reason I didnt pM you or anything is because i didnt want to nag or hassle you about it. That would have been rude, i am sure that is the same reason people didnt post too soon about its discontinuation.

If things are too hectic at the mo' or you feel a little burnt out, why not hand the thread over to someone for a fortnight, remove the burden, and come back refreshed?

Just an idea amigo.
Posted by: oldman

Re: Death of Daily Zen? - 07/13/05 08:17 AM

Posted by: nenipp

Re: Death of Daily Zen? - 07/13/05 08:26 AM

I'm taking a break soon too, will be off-line a few weeks, so I have no choice, but I'm thinking it's a good thing.
(how zen is that? first thinking and then dividing between good and bad )
Posted by: harlan

Re: Death of Daily Zen? - 07/13/05 08:36 AM

I missed it. The whole 'rock thread' rocked me; I was too complacent (you whipper-snapper!)..and it left me tending wounds. Daily zen with a bite. Then Death. Zen morphed...kicked me in the butt...and I didn't like it. Where was my safe forum...place where I could hide out from the martial talk of the big boys? A place where I did not have to be big, or tough, or intimidated by everyone who knows so much more than myself.

You owe me nothing. Sometimes we volunteer of ourselves, and start a ball rolling...only to find that what was started from enthusiasm becomes a chore...an obligation. Or, as in my case with clan activities...comes to a screeching halt. Big time self-imposed guilt. I have about 200-300 people that have come to 'expect' from me...and they contribute little.

No one wants to steal your thunder, or impose ('hey...where is our entitled zen?') but perhaps at some point you would like to 'let go' of your baby...and let others hold it for a week or two...give your arms a rest.

To sum: Daily Zen piqued my interest in this website, and kept me coming back. Like a new coastline, I anchored and wandered a bit. But being a sailor at heart, I know better than to put down roots.
Posted by: MAGr

Re: Death of Daily Zen? - 07/13/05 09:35 AM

Like I have said before, a student should not have expectations, they should just absorb what they receive as best they can. And like a student I never expected you to continue the daily zen. I just tried to absorb while it happened.

Like Harlan, I find this forum a cool breeze from the heat of the other forums, and although not dependent upon the daily zen, what is a structure without foundations?

I hope that the stress dissipates, and the reason for the stress becomes nullified. The zen forum should not be something that adds to your worries. Whenever you feel like going to this forum, you will be very warmly received