Meditation help enxiety???

Posted by: JasonM

Meditation help enxiety??? - 06/22/05 12:28 PM

All,

For some reason I get a big anxiety attach and panic if I drive over large, high bridges. It is weird, becuase I have never felt this way before and it seemed to only occur after I have gotten out of MA and of course stopped meditating. Do you think meditation could help with the anxiety? IT feels like I don't have control when the fear comes over me.

Thanks,

- Jason
Posted by: oldman

Re: Meditation help enxiety??? - 06/22/05 01:22 PM

MrMoyer,
What you are experienceing is quite common. Anxiousness in the face of a specific situation i.e Snake, Spider, or Bridge is reffered to as a Phobia. If the fear affects the quality of you life dramatically you can get help from a counselor, Doctor, or trusted experienced friend. One reason you may experience them more when you are not training is that when we exercise we are able to burn off adrenalen and release endorphins which create pleasant feelings. Biology plays a part in anxiety as does our thinking. A sort of chicken or the egg story. Again what you are experiencing is common.
Posted by: JasonM

Re: Meditation help enxiety??? - 06/22/05 01:25 PM

Oldman - thanks for the comment. I did check into a counselor once, but they are so quick to offer medication for it, and I don't know if I want to go that route.
Posted by: Kintama

Re: Meditation help enxiety??? - 06/22/05 01:28 PM

Gephyrophobia - Fear of crossing bridges.

p.s.
oldman,
Gerontophobia- Fear of old men.

Re: Meditation help enxiety??? - 06/22/05 01:44 PM

That is very often the case. Medication can be helpful but so can talking. One thing to be cautious about is inadvertantly reinforcing fears by say, avoiding snakes or bridges. Anxiety is normal as is a fearful response to an actual threat. Anxiety can become a disorder when we become afraid of being anxious. There can be biological causes or contributions. As far as medication goes many folks would preffer to do without. Imagine if your best friends blood pressure were dangerously high. If a qualified M.D. suggested a medication with diet and exercise he might do both and benefit. Most people in our culture want the pill. If he were unable to lower his blood pressure with exercise alone I don't think you would think less of him for following his Doctors perscription at least for a season. Good luck

I got a bit sidetracked for a second there. About meditation it can be helpull witha warning though. If a person is clinically depressed it is not a good idea to practice an insight oriented practice as they would be prone to rumination and that might compound their problem. If a person is merely anxious though not depressed, meditation, primarily "progressive relaxation" can be very helpful.

Do keep in mind I'm not a Doctor.
Posted by: harlan

Re: Meditation and depression - 06/22/05 03:02 PM

I think that is a gem of advice that should be pinned waaaayyy up on top of this forum in its' own thread.

Quote:

I got a bit sidetracked for a second there. About meditation it can be helpull witha warning though. If a person is clinically depressed it is not a good idea to practice an insight oriented practice as they would be prone to rumination and that might compound their problem. If a person is merely anxious though not depressed, meditation, primarily "progressive relaxation" can be very helpful.

Do keep in mind I'm not a Doctor.

Posted by: Foolsgold

Re: Meditation and depression - 06/22/05 06:27 PM

I agree, when you notice it isn't there, the absence suddenly becomes much more striking.
Posted by: Prometej

Re: Meditation and depression - 06/23/05 02:57 PM

You could try with autosuggestion. Relax before sleeping or meditate with something like:
I`m calm,peacefull, confident. My mind is filled with happy and positive thoughts that neutralize any negative thought. I love bridges, they help me to get on the other side. They are man made and safe.
and/or
Imagine crossing the bridge happy,walking over it ,looking at it
or go face with the bridge, kick it yell at it,tell to it "I`M NOT AFFRAID OF YOU;YOU PIECE A ... STONE"

But it would be better to carry good thoughts.
Ok, i guess you get the point

Also if you lack of Mg your nerves get thinner and you start to lose your head, stress gets you easier for things that you wouldn`t normally care for.Eat bananas,soi,peanuts,green vegetable,potato not pealed.

For depression is good sun. Sun stops creating some depressive hormon.

Posted by: Bushi_no_ki

Re: Meditation and depression - 06/23/05 03:14 PM

Drs. and scientists have been finding more and more evidence that a weekly routine with plenty of physical excercise and prayer/meditation are beneficial to people who have depression/anxiety disorders. In the sun is always helpful as well.
Posted by: Chanters

Re: Meditation and depression - 10/11/05 09:29 AM

Has anyone who has suffered with depression tried meditating on Metta Bhavna?

It's not myself who is suffering from depression but someone very close to me. They experience bouts of depression throughout the year but this current phase is particularly bad. I noticed that when they had a period of training at the gym they didn't experience depression and their spirits seemd to be high. But now they don't have the get-up-and-go attitude so no matter how much I try and encourage them to go to the gym I have no success and I don't want to nag them for fear of putting them into deeper depression.

If anyone has any suggestions for meditative techniques I'd greatly appreciate it!

Re: Meditation and depression - 10/11/05 09:53 AM

I'll take 'medication' over 'meditation' anyday for a real illness. We all go through crappy experiences and get depressed. But if your friend just 'never really seems to come out of it'...sounds like he/she should see a doctor.

Re: Meditation and depression - 10/11/05 10:42 AM

They have in the last two weeks began taking medication prescribed by the doctor. They slept almost solidly for 3 days and seem a bit wiped out with no energy to do much but lie in bed. I have coaxed them out though but they don't seem right. We paid another visit to the doctor who said things should kick in and the drowsiness should fade after 3 weeks. I'm concerned that they'll become dependent on these pills and won't be able to deal with the depression by themselves.

Re: Meditation and depression - 10/11/05 11:14 AM

My two pennies:

There are different medications...give it time. My sister suffered for years with depression. Finally, went to a doctor and discovered that it was chemically based...a medical condition treatable by medication. Her words:

'It is like the difference between night and day. You don't know how bad you are until you feel better.'

I would suggest that you simply 'be there' for this person. If they need meds, be supportive about finding the 'right one' instead of suggesting that some wholistic alternative can fit the bill.

Re: Meditation and depression - 10/11/05 11:28 AM

Thanks for your advice harlan, I appreciate it.

Re: Meditation and depression - 10/11/05 12:35 PM

Chanters,
Many medications for depression take up to two weeks to take effect. Most medications used for depression are not considered addicting. Some medications for sleep can be habit forming and should be used sparingly. As you friend gets used to the meds and their mood becomes more stable they may become more willing and better able to learn and grow in ways that will contribute to their wellbeing in the future.
Posted by: JoelM

Re: Meditation and depression - 10/11/05 10:52 PM

Oldman is correct as to my experiences. My sister takes medicine for depression and when she is off for a while and starting back up it takes a bit for her to get on schedule and it does mess with her sleep schedule.

There is also a fine line between reminding/encouraging her to take the medicine and bothering her about it. Sometimes I just have to let her be, but she always knows that I'm there for her no matter what.
Posted by: garoujin

Re: Meditation and depression - 10/11/05 11:16 PM

Here's another way of thinking about this. Contrast:
Quote:

I'm concerned that they'll become dependent on these pills and won't be able to deal with the depression by themselves

with:
Quote:

I'm concerned that they'll become dependent on this cast and won't be able to deal with the broken leg by themselves

Very often, depression is a disease. To treat it as anything less can be dangerous, and sometimes even fatal. I have severe reservations about how many disorders, esp. depression are treated esp. in the U.S., but in my experience it is a big mistake to conceptualize depression as (simply) something one has to "deal with". People deal with a stroke of bad luck. People treat disease.

Re: Meditation and depression - 10/12/05 02:59 AM

Thank you all for your advice.

Last night they seemed to have higher spirits and it's encouraging to see them with a smile on their face and being a bit more talkative. But now they've found out that the company they work for has gone into receivership but they haven't been made redundant as yet. They've never been happy with their job and I think this may have aleviated some stress in a strange way.

Thanks again for all of your advice, I was finding it difficult to cope with and felt helpless but in perspective I'm fortunate not to be the one suffering the depression.