*wolf scalissi sighs heavily and bows his head*

^gassho^
Posted by: harlan

More monk news - 06/01/05 03:24 PM

monks in wales

http://beifan.com/shaolin-monk/059kungfuwales/page-s002.html
Posted by: wolfscalissi

Re: More monk news - 06/01/05 03:27 PM

I understand some monks train in martial arts, I guess they forgot the humility/compassion part of the training . did you look at the link?

^gassho^
Posted by: harlan

Re: More monk news - 06/01/05 03:42 PM

Sure I did. Thought your link was interesting.
A couple of tough boys couldn't adjust. Years of antagonism? Fighting over scarce resources? I blame poor leadership.

My link was 'just news'.
Posted by: JoelM

Re: sigh - 06/01/05 11:00 PM

Don't focus so much on the bad things. You expect there to be an article to say:

Monks go about daily life, do not harm a bug.
A Buddhist monastery in Sumatra has gone about it's peaceful existance since it's founding 400 years ago. Every day monks wake up, perform their duties, then go to bed. No harm, no conflict, all is at peace. Nirvana is near.

Nobody wants to read about harmony and bliss, the media thrives on conflict and chaos. There will always be a bad seed, and everybody loves pointing out that bad seed to take the spotlight off of them and all that they have done wrong (not that I'm accusing you of that).

There are enough bad things in life, and I'm sure that this is quite the exception to the rule, don't let the failings of others discourage you. Let them be a guide, something for you to grow from, not to bring you down.
Posted by: eyrie

Re: sigh - 06/01/05 11:23 PM

I read somewhere a looooooooong time ago that, in Thailand, entering the monastery for 2 years is compulsory "national service". Not sure how true this is.

But I note that the monks involved were very young and probably quite immature. I mean, 15-28, OK, granted the 28 year old *should* know better. But knuckle dusters in alms bowls?????

Maybe he needs to work more on his one-finger Zen????
Posted by: Celebrian

Re: sigh - 06/04/05 11:35 PM

Quote:

Don't focus so much on the bad things. You expect there to be an article to say:

Monks go about daily life, do not harm a bug.
A Buddhist monastery in Sumatra has gone about it's peaceful existance since it's founding 400 years ago. Every day monks wake up, perform their duties, then go to bed. No harm, no conflict, all is at peace. Nirvana is near.

Nobody wants to read about harmony and bliss, the media thrives on conflict and chaos. There will always be a bad seed, and everybody loves pointing out that bad seed to take the spotlight off of them and all that they have done wrong (not that I'm accusing you of that).

There are enough bad things in life, and I'm sure that this is quite the exception to the rule, don't let the failings of others discourage you. Let them be a guide, something for you to grow from, not to bring you down.

nicely put -clap-. But still, that was pretty low behaviour from someone in their position...
Posted by: Bushi_no_ki

Re: sigh - 06/05/05 11:16 PM

wolf, how do you think American Catholics feel after all the recent scandals. There are new people filing lawsuits every month. Unfortunately, as Joel said, there are bad seeds everywhere. It happens. There are Buddhist monks everywhere that don't get into fights at all. Just like there are Catholic priests who truly are dedicated to what they believe and who don't molest children.