here in the real world....

Posted by: wolfscalissi

here in the real world.... - 05/26/05 08:51 PM

So, we have moments of satori. we seem to understand the way. then we have to "live" in the real world full of conditioned mind, karmic effect, immorality, anger.....etc. my knee jerk reaction is to go to a monastery and "check-in" but then I think that would just be running from the reality of the modern world. so? now what? as I search for the mind ( with the mind) I feel like I'm in a chess match with myself..lol... the sad thing is I'm quite sure I know who the winner/loser will be. I guess my question is enlightenment and then...laundry?( yes, ive read that)at least as a christian I would be "looking forward to the big prize" but Im a follower of the Buddha way...sooooo? here amongst like minded seekers all these teachings make sense. taking them to the workaday world is a great challenge for me. thanks for your input.

^gassho^
Posted by: Kintama

Re: here in the real world.... - 05/26/05 09:23 PM

Quote:

I guess my question is enlightenment and then...laundry?

thats funny. (would have been good as your topic title)

there are people here who contribute that will have a clearer message... and mine should be taken lightly since I don't claim to know enlightenment from experience...but at the same time, I'm not just guessing.

engaging the mundane, calming your anger, being at peace with your immortality ...aren't all of these ways to eliminate suffering during the path to enlightenment?

what I'm saying is, try not to think of a separation of those moments and your daily life...incorporate those moments into and during your life. but you are asking how... I don't know how. I've never tried to verbalize how. I don't struggle with it. It happens and it doesn't. sometimes I have a bad attitude or am impatient...but I become aware of it and accept it as my growing self, and move on. sometime I do the right thing with non-ego centric motavations and feel a non-emotional ease and peace. during a given day I could swing between the two or hover in the middle...I let it be. I think Awareness without over-thinking or over-feeling it is the key. I could be way off path, but it feels right.
Posted by: harlan

Integration - 05/27/05 07:36 AM

I guess the key word for me is integration.

I think the best one can hope for is to find a sangha, even if it is a virtual one...like here. For me, it is the search to find others on the same path, and hopefully someone a little ahead of me. Not looking for a guru, just input.
Posted by: eyrie

Re: here in the real world.... - 05/27/05 07:50 AM

While we're sitting here debating enlightenment and reconciling living in the real world, the laundry is not going to wash itself.

Before enlightenment....
After enlightenment....
Your laundry awaits you...

Posted by: oldman

Re: here in the real world.... - 05/27/05 08:34 AM

wolfscalissi,
Thank you for your honesty.
Posted by: nenipp

Re: here in the real world.... - 05/27/05 08:53 AM

Are you looking for a "carrot" to keep you on track (or path)?
If so, how about the next step, or better yet, how about the step you're taking now?
You'd better concentrate dude, there's dogcrap all over the place
Posted by: ButterflyPalm

Re: here in the real world.... - 05/28/05 12:59 AM

'The flower needs no "knowledge of self" to blossom'

How do you know that?
Posted by: wolfscalissi

Re: here in the real world.... - 05/28/05 09:36 AM

. Put a fish on land and he will remember the ocean until he dies. Put a bird in a cage, yet he will not forget the sky. Each remains homesick for his true home, the place where his nature has decreed that he should be.

Man is born in the state of innocence. His original nature is love and grace and purity. Yet he emigrates so casually without even a thought of his old home. Is this not sadder than the fishes and the birds? Master Hahn Shan

The flower does not know it is a flower yet it blooms when the right conditions are manifested. even if it really really wanted to be a tree the right conditions for man i.e. right speech, right thought, right action do not make the man attain enlightenment (bloom), for how can he attain what he already has? lifting the dark veil of knowledge, finding that we were right there on the path the whole time.

Gate. Gate, Paragate. Parasumgate!. Bhodi! Svaha!

^gassho^ Butterfly
Posted by: harlan

Re: here in the real world.... - 06/18/05 07:53 PM

Bump.

Like my car, I have to remember to perform a monthly check.

Oil level...check
tire pressure...check
oil my bo...check
enlightenment integration...red light on.

Just a reminder that the McDojo's are distractions, and one needs to remember to center, or take the seat.

Thank you, Wolfi (may I call you that?), for your pointing finger.

-Narda