gratitude/interdependence

Posted by: wolfscalissi

gratitude/interdependence - 05/23/05 09:48 PM

I am deeply aware of this tonight. Meditation awareness practice has led me to this in a very strong way. How can we not be humbled by all of the things we have? How could we not be gratefull to the point of complete humility?

I'll begin with what I call the "tuna-fish theory". I was in the store yesterday and I watched a lady have a raging fit at a store clerk because they were out of canned tuna. as soon as I heard her anger and watched this unfold I felt a deep and amazing feeling. I dont know how to describe it but it led me to the following thoughts. do you realize what it takes to get just one can of tuna on a shelf at a store? think about it! boats had to be built out of trees that had to be grown by men who had to be born. Boats in the sea, men casting nets to catch fish that were born in the sea.....brought to the shore placed on ice , put in trucks shipped to a factory, processed, canned and labeled for your convienience!? ordered and shipped to every store in the country (world?!) and placed on the shelf for a whopping 69-cents. now how in the world could we be upset when a can of tuna was not in stock? greed? Ignorance? non-awareness ! all this I saw in a very scary flash.

So now tonight as I prepare a meal for my wife and daughter everything,EVERYTHING, I touch I am uterly and profoundly gratefull for. I cannot make the pans I cooked with nor the glasses and plates. I have not the place to grow the food nor the climate to grow all of these things. I turn on the faucet and there is clean water giving my family life. the list is endless I am not as I believed an "independent" man. I am completely interdependent on everything and all beings. I wish to tell you this because I am also gratfull to all of you for being here. Thank you for allowing me my voice.

a deep and profound ^gassho^ to you all, May our lives go well
Posted by: Bullfrog

Re: gratitude/interdependence - 05/24/05 05:25 AM

Very good point... Makes ya think
Posted by: Celebrian

Re: gratitude/interdependence - 05/24/05 06:15 AM

-very- interesting/great post, in a way very informative. I have thought about that kinda thing before, but not like that. thanking yuh kindly
Posted by: MattJ

Re: gratitude/interdependence - 05/24/05 09:46 AM

Yes, it's amazing the conveniences that are available nowadays. I am naught but a user/consumer of almost everything....I would be aghast if I had to try to make a shirt for myself. It would probably end up looking like a ragged burlap bag, and about as comfortable.
Posted by: harlan

Re: gratitude/interdependence - 05/24/05 09:47 AM

I call it the 'cosmic shift.' I am guilty of enjoying the accompanying siddhis...too pagan to be a good Buddhist.
Posted by: nenipp

Re: gratitude/interdependence - 05/24/05 03:37 PM

No tuna?? That's outrageous!!

Posted by: oldman

Re: gratitude/interdependence - 05/24/05 04:19 PM

Amazing. I thought only a pickle had the power to produce enlightenment.
Posted by: harlan

Re: gratitude/interdependence - 05/24/05 04:21 PM

Didn't you know...pickles are the 'secret' ingredient in Tuna Salad.