Breathing stiffness

Posted by: Samantha

Breathing stiffness - 08/01/00 04:08 PM

Wondering if anyone has any insight to this- In meditation I have problems taking deep breaths unless I slouch a little. It feels as though my diaphram just won't do the work. It might be some kind of stress or it could be a problem of incorrect posture. Maybe my diaphram is not flexible enough. Any ideas?
[IMG]http://bbs.fightingarts.com/ubb/confused.gif[/IMG]
Posted by: Yojimbo558

Re: Breathing stiffness - 08/18/00 08:04 PM

Hi Samantha,

You answered your own question...the culprit is your posture...but not in the manner that you were thinking.

When you see a runner finishing a race, they'll do either of two things either put their hands on their hips or their hands clasped behind their heads...why?

Because doing this increases your lung capacity! When you're slouching, notice how your arms bend...in doing so you're increasing your oxygen capacity.

This not to say that slouching is the correct posture...but it does mean that when meditating you don't have to keep your arms stiff to your sides. You can keep your back straight...simply hold your hands out palm up while bending your elbows and you'll notice a difference in the depth of your breath. Find what's comfortable for you.

Eric [IMG]http://bbs.fightingarts.com/ubb/smile.gif[/IMG]
Posted by: Mal Wagner

Re: Breathing stiffness - 08/20/00 02:16 PM

Hi Samantha,

I know what you mean about not feeling that you are breathing deeply enough. Something I have learned in the last 10 years of studying meditation is to relax your levator-ani(Sp?)(anal-sphincter) muscle when you inhale, and constrict the muscle on exhalation, and this will give the sensation of breathing all the way down into the abdomen. Of course this also plays a part in martial application and body-tightening isometric-exercises such as Sanchin-kata.

Hope this helps a little,
Malcolm Wagner
Posted by: CharlesJ

Re: Breathing stiffness - 01/24/01 02:40 PM

If you wish to develop proper breathing techniques for health and well being as well as enhancement of Martial capabilities I would recommend reading:

"The Tao of Natural Breathing"

It is much like Qi Gong...and the practice of breathing through Tai Chi Chuan....

Sincerely,
Posted by: judderman

Re: Breathing stiffness - 11/05/01 03:28 PM

I have often found that improved breathing comes from the stomach. Watch how a baby breathes. Then you can be in alsorts of postures and be able to breathe deeply.

I would also agree with Qi Gong.
Posted by: Chin-Chec

Re: Breathing stiffness - 12/11/01 02:54 PM

Hello all

I would agree w/Judderman there many postures you can use in meditation many of them you can breathe easy in and in my eyes the breath is probaly the top two of thins you should concentrate on while meditating.

Like for instants (I resently broke my right arm good thing I am both handed lol) but I can't do some of the positions that I could normaly do before so I have modified them myself getting much the same effect.Oh well hope that helped.

Your Friend In Becomeing Zen Chin-Chec