Index finger and punching

Posted by: Anonymous

Index finger and punching - 04/14/05 01:39 PM

I have noticed when I ball my fist to punch with my right hand my index finger portrudes just a little, when I strike it jamms ever so slightly and hurts badly the next day. Does anyone have any advice for what I am doing wrong.

Re: Index finger and punching - 04/19/05 01:45 PM

Do your knuckles get all broke as hell and cut up to like mine.

Re: Index finger and punching - 04/20/05 01:26 PM

Look at your fist when you are making it.
Make sure that the face of the fist is a perfect rectangle. What you are doing is probably pulling your little finger in too much.

You have the idea that you should only hit with index and middle knuckle?
I am not going to go into it, because people have different opinions on which knuckles to use, but just make sure that you are making a rectangle with the face of your punch and its not curled up.

Also it could just be that yuo just started hitting things consistently? maybe your hand is not strong enough yet. If that is the case then just take it slow and the structure will improve.

Hope this helps.

Re: Index finger and punching - 04/20/05 10:26 PM

Thanks alot Magr, I think little finger might be that might be the problem. I'll try it next time I heavy bag train.

Re: Index finger and punching - 04/21/05 06:35 AM

When you form a relaxed fist all 4 knuckles do not line up to create a rectangle, you get a V shape with the apex being the knuckle of the middle finger. So you can produce a straight vertical face by hitting using the bottom 3 knuckles lined up, or the top 2.

I personally use the bottom 3 to make sure the wrist cannot be broken from twisting on impact, but I know people here also claim success using the top 2. Experiment for yourself.

Re: Index finger and punching - 04/21/05 06:12 PM

learn how to make a fist

Re: Index finger and punching - 04/22/05 07:00 AM

[QUOTE]Originally posted by someotherguy:
When you form a relaxed fist all 4 knuckles do not line up to create a rectangle, you get a V shape with the apex being the knuckle of the middle finger. So you can produce a straight vertical face by hitting using the bottom 3 knuckles lined up, or the top 2.[/QUOTE]

??? can you explain that?
First of all your fist should not be relaxed, not at contact anyway. And its the contact that we are interested in.
What is the v shape you are talking about?
explain