Knife hand

Posted by: Anonymous

Knife hand - 03/31/05 08:45 PM

What do yall think of leting your thumb rest on your pinky finger.(plam side and the area right below it) I'v seen strikes done this way ,and I wanted to know its benefits.

[This message has been edited by Leapordsknowbest (edited 03-31-2005).]

Re: Knife hand - 04/01/05 04:00 PM

No

Tuck your thumb into it's base. Thumb crossing the palm is too wide in cross-section.

Also, Shuto (knife-hand) is also a prep to grasping. If your thumb crosses the palm, you can't grasp.

The only time you'd want your thumb in the palm is w/ Haito (ridge-hand) where you strile w/ the thumb-side of your hand edge (opposite of Shuto). But the thumb isn't below the pinky.

[This message has been edited by hedkikr (edited 04-01-2005).]

Re: Knife hand - 04/12/05 01:34 PM

I've found that during a Shuto strike, that placing your thumb on the first bone of your pointer finger is the best positioning.

Re: Knife hand - 04/23/05 10:38 PM

I belive that when the thumb makes almost an upside down "L" shape in the hand it makes for the solidest block and strike. I also belive that on the rige hand, the thumb should be pushed as far across the hand as is possible (while being both comfortable, and keeping the palm and the back of the hand flat.)

Ryan

Re: Knife hand - 04/24/05 10:41 AM

Also, Shuto (knife-hand) is also a prep to grasping. If your thumb crosses the palm, you can't grasp.

Well,In leopard kungfu it is very easy to go from knife-hand(the one I was talkin about) to leopardfist(a way to grab).
Very much appreciate the responses.