Wing Chun(triangle theroy)

Posted by: Anonymous

Wing Chun(triangle theroy) - 03/09/05 07:21 PM

I do shotokan but i like to study other styles such as TKD, Muy Thai, and Hung Fai Yi Wing Chun.I wanted to know if any 1 of u could better explain the triangle therom in it. Thanks

Re: Wing Chun(triangle theroy) - 03/09/05 09:30 PM

The upper half of a human body forms what can essentially be called a triangle; the the torso as the base and your arms as the two sides. When you fight somebody, you want your "triangle" to be pointed directly at there center of gravity; which runs like a pole through the center of your opponants torso. I should state that it helps you if you draw this out, for visualizing it. Ideally it should look like two triangles pointing at each other.

Now then, if one triangle is in this ideal positioning, and the other isn't, the one that is facing the other is at a distinct advantage duo to the obvious fact that they are not facing they're opponant; who can now use your arm to block your path to your center with one hand and go to town on your exposed center or distrupt your balance at will.

Triangle Theory is a fairly logical straight forward concept, as I find much of Wing Chun is. A simple but fun excersize for practice of application of it is called "regaining the line"; your partner does one attack to put himself in this advantageous spot, and then you do a block/attack of your own that puts yourself back in control. Hope that answered your question; if not, hope you still found it helpfull.

Re: Wing Chun(triangle theroy) - 03/12/05 06:16 PM

thanks loads Sgott. Your explaintion helped much

Re: Wing Chun(triangle theroy) - 03/26/05 05:57 PM

I don`t have really to add something new,
but in fighting with the sword we do sometimes techniques with the same principle (attacker attacks "in his line", defender brings him out regaining/keeping control over the attacker).

As I knew a teacher of WT with whom I trained sometimes, I`m not totally new to this topic and not that much surprised that one can find such a principle in different martial arts.

Even while using just one arm (no matter if with or without sword), one can still try to keep the both remaining sides of his triangle "in line".

In general (as far I experienced it),I think it helps to shorten the breastmuscles (pectoralis) a little,taking the shoulders just a little forward and bringing the ellbows a little together.
That keeps the base of the triangle more solid and makes it therefore harder for the opponent just to "crush the whole building" by brutal force.

[This message has been edited by Wilf (edited 03-27-2005).]

Re: Wing Chun(triangle theroy) - 04/05/05 08:57 AM

In wing chun the body is perceived as being divided into two inter-connected 'pyramids' or tetrahedrons, the upper one gives structural support and form to the arms, whilst the lower one does the same for the legs.
These tetrahedrons coordinate together to efficiently redirect and use the attackers force against him, gaining leverage and support from the ground by redirecting his force down through the hips and legs..

Re: Wing Chun(triangle theroy) - 04/07/05 12:54 AM

Wing Chung is not the only KF to use the triangle theory, many arts do, in fact all striking arts use it in some way or another. Bak Mei has triangle stances, which are said to penetrate into Wing chung easily, as only the yang said is exposed.