Hand Speed!!!

Posted by: Anonymous

Hand Speed!!! - 03/06/05 12:38 PM

I used to be an Olympic racer. My coach never focused on the speed of the hands, we focused on physics of pushing. But anyway I quickly realized that fast hands are a must in today's world w/ so many streetfighters looking for easy prey. It's just that I have no idea how to increase my hand speed please help?

Re: Hand Speed!!! - 03/19/05 09:56 PM

I increased my hand speed by using hand weights (they were like 4 pounds) or wrist weights both work but use hand weights there better, if you use the weights and throw punches your hands will get use to holding the wieght and you'll start building strength and speed with them. when you don't have them in your hand and you throw a punch your punches will be faster and stronger

Re: Hand Speed!!! - 03/26/05 08:00 AM

That's a verry good training method (and it works, i've tried it before). There is also a punching tschnique that'll help:

Try to keep your hand relaxed while you punch 'till the time of impact. If you make a fist before you punch, your punch'll feel like it's moving in slowmotion. Try it! You'll instantly notice the difference. If you can't see or feel it, try listening to the sound your hands make when you throw a punch. [IMG]http://www.fightingarts.com/forums/ubb/wink.gif[/IMG]

BB.
-Neonisis

Re: Hand Speed!!! - 03/26/05 01:11 PM

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Soujiro:
I increased my hand speed by using hand weights (they were like 4 pounds) or wrist weights both work but use hand weights there better, if you use the weights and throw punches your hands will get use to holding the wieght and you'll start building strength and speed with them. when you don't have them in your hand and you throw a punch your punches will be faster and stronger [/QUOTE]

DO NOT DO THIS METHOD, it will lead to long term injury because you are hyperextending your auxilliary muscles. While it will lead to an increase in punch speed it could lead to problems later on in life.

Building hand speed is the same as building leg speed. If you were an Olympic racer the following advice should be familiar:

The best way to increase muscle speed is with plyometric exercises. This involves doing explosive movements against resisting surfaces (such as a heavy punching bag or a sparring partner). Combine this with a mixed plyometric/isometric bench press where you raise the bar you are lifting as quickly as is safely possible and lower it slowly. Training with plyometric tricep curls will agument this nicely. These exercises are designed to strengthen your tendons and small support muscles.

Combining this with weight lifting and bungee work in a 3:1 ratio will improve your punch speed and strength significantly in a relatively short period of time. Same goes for any other striking technique.

For more detailed information see: http://www.fightingarts.com/forums/ubb/Forum3/HTML/000662.html

While I am not a doctor or health professional I can safely tell you DO NOT PUT YOURSELF IN A SITUATION WHERE YOU MAY BE INJURED, this is counter productive.

[This message has been edited by Leo_E_49 (edited 04-13-2005).]

Re: Hand Speed!!! - 03/26/05 06:24 PM

Hmmm... now that you mention it, it IS very important to listen to your body; when you feel any pain what so ever, stop! However, I've been walking around with 5kg weights around my wrists and ankles for 6 months and suffered no appearant injuries, so it's really up to yourself and to what your body is used to ..

There wás that time when I was working out at a Muay Thai Kickbox centre and I wouldn't stop excercising even though my body told me to stop.. The next weeks was a living hell: I went to bed that evening with a light pain in my shoulders and arms, but it got worse and worse as the night progressed. At about 4 o'clock I lay screaming in bed from pain and it just wouldn't go away, no matter how I lied down. So I went to a physiotherapist the next day and she told me I had crushed the nerves running through my muscles, causing the constant pain. She gave me some valium and another paikiller, but I couldn't use my arms for over a week!

So i've learned my lesson: When your body sais stop, you'd better stop, bud.

Re: Hand Speed!!! - 03/29/05 05:55 PM

Every body has it's speed limitations. I will personally never have the hand speed of Bruce Lee or the kickinf speed of your Olympic Tae Kwon Do Gold medalist. So drill training punching combinations has helped me developed muscle memory. Also training to hit the nearest target with the nearest weapon increases speed because you travel time dereases. Learn to use angles/ lines that make the body seems faster as you gain effieciency.

Re: Hand Speed!!! - 04/01/05 04:07 PM

Main factor: relax, punch w/ your whole body, strike w/ correct technique