How to do a 1 handed pressup

Posted by: Anonymous

How to do a 1 handed pressup - 02/20/05 02:05 PM

I need help on trying to do a one handed press up. Can anyone out there help?

gkr boy
Posted by: JohnL

Re: How to do a 1 handed pressup - 02/23/05 06:24 AM

[QUOTE]Originally posted by gkr boy:
I need help on trying to do a one handed press up. Can anyone out there help?

gkr boy
[/QUOTE]

Lie on your front in a press up position.

Take one hand off the floor.

Press up using the other one.

JohnL
[IMG]http://www.fightingarts.com/forums/ubb/smile.gif[/IMG]

Re: How to do a 1 handed pressup - 02/23/05 04:57 PM

u have to be able to do a push up with 1 hand.

Heck, I cant even do one yet.

Re: How to do a 1 handed pressup - 02/26/05 12:53 PM

Actually most people do one-handed press ups/pushups with a different hand position than one would use to do a regular pushup. Usually, while lying on the floor, you would put your hand under your face, about where your eyes are or anywhere else comfortable. Then, of course, you simply push until you lift yourself up. You can keep your feet next to each other if you have good balance, but when starting out, most people keep them spread wide apart for a larger base so they don't fall over. If you were to do a pushup/press up with one hand next to your chest, it is very hard to maintain balance (almost impossible with your feet together).

Re: How to do a 1 handed pressup - 02/26/05 09:05 PM

Originally posted by paulbrown: "If you were to do a pushup/press up with one hand next to your chest, it is very hard to maintain balance (almost impossible with your feet together)."

I agree. You would have to have great strength and balance. Like the hulk.

-Joe-

Re: How to do a 1 handed pressup - 03/09/05 07:04 PM

Sorry for being a bit off-topic, but it seems my English lacks a bit of technical vocabulary: what is the difference between a pushup and a pressup? From what I know, I think both would translate as the same one word in my native language...

Re: How to do a 1 handed pressup - 03/12/05 01:36 PM

tashigae - "pushups" and "pressups" are exactly the same, it's just English and American vocabulary variations.

gkr boy - Lie down on your front in normal pushup position, spread legs for balance, put one arm behind your back, and do it!
Be warned - it's VERY difficult. Can do 8 reps on my right arm (with great difficulty), but can only manage 1 rep on my left arm!! [IMG]http://www.fightingarts.com/forums/ubb/frown.gif[/IMG]

Re: How to do a 1 handed pressup - 04/04/05 06:44 PM

Belive it or not i can do more then 20 one armed pushups both left and right side. I do alot of bench pressing flat bench, incline, and decline. Flys are really helpfully because each arm has to stablize the wieght on its own. I also do stablizing pushups. Get an basketball and put it under one arm and do as many push ups as you can and then switch sides, do this 3 times. Once this gets easy try to do hops. start with the ball under one arm, push yourself up and try to switch hands in mid air.

Re: How to do a 1 handed pressup - 04/21/05 06:35 AM

1 hand push ups are easy. try this, do it on your knees first to get balance. ok, your hand should be placed above you, and your elbow should be pointing directly ahead of you, like a tripod. go down and back up, do this for a while, than raise 1 leg than get the other. i can do like 15-20. its not that bad if you can do 30 pushups easy than this will be no problem its a balance thing.