Weight lifting training

Posted by: Anonymous

Weight lifting training - 10/14/04 07:18 PM

At the beginning of the school year, my friend and I started working out. We made routines that lasts up to 3 hours. We do it Thursday and Sunday but my friend also wants to do it Tuesday

Here's my schedule:

Sunday: Workout
Monday: Kickboxing
Tuesday: My friend wants to work out but I decline his invitation
Wednesday: Kickboxing
Thursday: Workout
Friday: Cardivascular training= Kickboxing
Saturday: Day off

Here is the list of my routines for the workout:

Bench press 4 sets of 15

Sidearm curls while lying down: 3 sets of 25

Curls: 3 sets of 25

Hindu squats with weights on our shoulders (20 pounds I think) : 1 set of 15

Normal squats with weights: 4 sets of 25

Chair pushups where you put your legs on the chair: 3 sets of 20

Sit ups: one set of 100 or two sets of 50

Dumbell jab and punches: 30 seconds non stop

Dumbell punches on horse stance: 30 seconds non stop

Okay so.. when I do benchpresses some days my arms go weak on me so I cannot push up the bar.

On the sidearm curls I have no problem with

Curls I skim through 'em but my friend says he sucks at them

Hindu squats..I sometimes lose balance

Normal squats is easy

Chair pushups are hard for me but not for my friend.. I do about 5 and then probably collapse to the ground

Sit ups..I can't take the pain

Dumbell punches I slow down on the second set

Also we add reps to everything, every time we do the routines

Soo..my question is, is 3 hours of working out too long for 14 year olds?? What do you recommend on our training? should we take off some routines or should we add some? do these routines or workouts stunt our growth? Too much reps?

I'm scared cause I don't want to stunt my growth, I'm 120 lbs and 5'6 or 5'7.. if I shouldn't be working out..what age should I train again

THANKS

Re: Weight lifting training - 10/16/04 09:16 PM

Well, if your trying to get bigger do less reps with heavyer weights. if your trying to get toned do higher reps with less weights if your going for brute strenth do really low reps (around 4-6) of really heavy weights.

I dont think 14 is to young as long as you have good forum when your lifting ie back strate when doing bb curls and warm up properly.

When you do your chest day, i use a program that wors on the number 6. I also do my chest and back at the same time as sopposibly it works better that way, i like the results as it adds size and strenth.

the program is

narrow bench 2 sets 2,1,1,1,1 reps

narrow chins 2 6

wide bench 2 2,1,1,1,1

wide chins 2 6

normal bench 2 2,1,1,1,1

chinups 2 6

What you do with the bench pressing is 2 reps of almost max then strip 5-10% of that and then do one rep pause at the top then another pause repeat.

the curls, if you can skim throuhg them add more weight or your forum is off and your cheating. the precher curl is good at keeping you from cheating so i would suggest you use that.

since your working out eat lots of protein but dont forget the rest of the food groups and drink lots of water.

the only things that are rumored to stunt growth is dead lifts and squats altho I havnt found any facts of that.

[This message has been edited by BigBoyBouncer (edited 10-16-2004).]

Re: Weight lifting training - 10/17/04 05:59 AM

[QUOTE]Originally posted by KickboxingRookie:
At the beginning of the school year, my friend and I started working out. We made routines that lasts up to 3 hours. We do it Thursday and Sunday but my friend also wants to do it Tuesday

Here's my schedule:

Sunday: Workout
Monday: Kickboxing
Tuesday: My friend wants to work out but I decline his invitation
Wednesday: Kickboxing
Thursday: Workout
Friday: Cardivascular training= Kickboxing
Saturday: Day off

Here is the list of my routines for the workout:

Bench press 4 sets of 15

Sidearm curls while lying down: 3 sets of 25

Curls: 3 sets of 25

Hindu squats with weights on our shoulders (20 pounds I think) : 1 set of 15

Normal squats with weights: 4 sets of 25

Chair pushups where you put your legs on the chair: 3 sets of 20

Sit ups: one set of 100 or two sets of 50

Dumbell jab and punches: 30 seconds non stop

Dumbell punches on horse stance: 30 seconds non stop

Okay so.. when I do benchpresses some days my arms go weak on me so I cannot push up the bar.

On the sidearm curls I have no problem with

Curls I skim through 'em but my friend says he sucks at them

Hindu squats..I sometimes lose balance

Normal squats is easy

Chair pushups are hard for me but not for my friend.. I do about 5 and then probably collapse to the ground

Sit ups..I can't take the pain

Dumbell punches I slow down on the second set

Also we add reps to everything, every time we do the routines

Soo..my question is, is 3 hours of working out too long for 14 year olds?? What do you recommend on our training? should we take off some routines or should we add some? do these routines or workouts stunt our growth? Too much reps?

I'm scared cause I don't want to stunt my growth, I'm 120 lbs and 5'6 or 5'7.. if I shouldn't be working out..what age should I train again

THANKS
[/QUOTE]

i admire your desire to become fit. but as the saying goes less is better. first you have to decide what your ultimate goal is, improved physical condition, gain mass or whatever. once that is decided you can begin to develope a plan. 3 hours is way too long for just weighttraining. anything more than an hour is counter productive and will actually hinder your progress. assuming your looking to gain additional strength and gain some mass(size), i would suggest working out three days per week for an hour. also dont work the same muscle group with in a 24hr period. start with light weight and focus on proper technique at first. a proper diet is essential. a simple and effective diet is eat something with a face and put something green next to it.
heres my workout:
bench 135x5,145x5,155x4,165x3,175x2,185x1
incline press 35x10,45x8,55x6
squat 185x10,225x5,225x16,185x10
leg curl 60x10,80x10,60x10
deadlift 135x10,185x8,225x6,135x10
pull up to failure
(alternate between workouts)
stand barbell press 95x10,105x10,115x10
wide grip barbell raise same as above
standing barbell curl 65X10,75x10,85x10
preacher curl 45x10,55x10,65x10
dips to fail
closegrip bench 115x10,125x10,135x10

after work out i rest for about an hour then i train for about an hour. this has seemed to work for me and i hope it helps. i usually do this routine on mon weds and fri.

Re: Weight lifting training - 10/29/04 02:39 AM

I'm sorry, I should have been more specific about the "stunt growth" I was worried with. I meant by growing tall not gaining mass with muscles. Thanks guys.

Re: Weight lifting training - 11/02/04 04:39 AM

dude 3 hours is far to long for a weights workout period, Ronnie Coleman would'nt do that long.. I'd cut it back to 45mins to an hour max, keeps the reps mid to high 10-12 maybe a few more... And at your age i would not be doing any sort of squat at all. Run up hills or ride a bike or something, squating is not good untill you finish growing, and then only good if you have really good technique.

If you keep training for 3 hours, you will start getting sick, and it may stunt your growth by simply overtraining....