help im not satisfied with right cross (boxing)

Posted by: Anonymous

help im not satisfied with right cross (boxing) - 10/12/04 03:17 PM

the cross punch is my favorite punch. its fast and powerful and a round about punch.
exept that every time I hit the bag I cross and the bag spins a little and I distanfuly hate this effect because it means my real power of the punch is glanceing away.
I want it to go strait trough.
(note: I use calves hips and pretty much the whole body. I also bob when I throw it)

Does everyone have this problem.
some times I can get it not to spin though bu I am sacraficing body movement thus losing power.
Can some one give me a document on the posture to throw this punch

Re: help im not satisfied with right cross (boxing) - 10/12/04 08:15 PM

cant really tell without actually seeing you throw the punch but if its spinning then basically you arnt punching straight.

make sure you punch through the bag. dont just punch it, strike through in a straight line.

[IMG]http://www.fightingarts.com/forums/ubb/smile.gif[/IMG]

Re: help im not satisfied with right cross (boxing) - 10/13/04 12:33 PM

Yeah sometimes this happens to me when I am hitting the bag, it's just one of those things-especially if you are moving around the bag and hitting it from different directions-because of it's shape it will spin sometimes.

what i have done before if i want to practice that kind of attack is to make a hollow on the bag first (depends what type of bag it is)-so if you hit the bag with a few round house elbows first it should concave a little, this should make a target for you to hit so that the bag does not spin around.

if the bag is spinning you may be able to stop it with another attack-like a hard roundhouse kick.

hope that helps

[This message has been edited by charlie (edited 10-13-2004).]
Posted by: JKogas

Re: help im not satisfied with right cross (boxing) - 10/17/04 03:00 PM

Assuming you are in an orthodox (left lead), step slightly off the line with your left foot, TO the left, so that your right hand is then straight in front of the target. This helps line up your shot as well as getting more weight transference into the punch (more body weight equals more power).

Throw your punch with correct mechanics now and you should be able to fire it straight down the middle to the target.

-John