Proper Kicks

Posted by: Anonymous

Proper Kicks - 08/04/04 03:06 AM

I've Been Taught With A Basic Kick In My Kickboxing Class And They Said To Kick With My Feet..How Could I Say This..The Upper Part Of The Foot Where The Bones Are Visible. Now I Went To My Friends Jujitsu Class And The Teacher Taught Me To Kick With My Shins.

My Question Is Which Kick I Should Use In Street Fights Or Sparring?

Which Kick Is Stronger?

Which Kick Does The Most Damage?

Which Kick Hurts Less When There Is Impact?

Which Kick Is The Most Effective?

Where Do Those Kicks Originate From? (Style/Martial Arts)
Posted by: White-Tiger

Re: Proper Kicks - 08/04/04 04:00 AM

Both of those kicks are correct. I have been taught both but prefer to make impact with my shin (for me it hurts less and seems safer than hitting with the small bones in my foot) but its up to you what you use. My advice is try both and find out which one works the best for you, if you have a bag at home practice on those or if not try the ones at your kickboxing gym.
As for the origins of those kicks im not sure where exactly they come from, the one where you make contact with the shin is used a lot in thai boxing, the other im not sure but i have seen students in my dojo use it.
Anyway hope you find out what way suites you.

Chris
Posted by: Ironfoot

Re: Proper Kicks - 08/09/04 09:12 AM

Both these kicks take conditioning, and both have their place. The shin kick's primary target is the thigh, and the kin geri, or kick with the top of the foot (actually I use the ankle here, or midway between the top of the foot and the shin) is good for the groin or face, if your opponent's head is low enough.
Posted by: sophia

Re: Proper Kicks - 08/14/04 12:50 PM

The part of the foot you mentioned is called the instep. I tend to use the instep kick more in sparring because i am not very tall and if I hit with the shin kick I am in punching range.

Re: Proper Kicks - 09/04/04 01:31 PM

depends on your angle.
depends on your range.
depends on hight of kick.
depends on the area you are attacking.
are you setting up for another attack.
shin to the gut, ribs or legs instep to ballocks, inside of thigh or accross the arse.

Re: Proper Kicks - 02/11/05 06:51 PM

[QUOTE]Originally posted by sophia:
The part of the foot you mentioned is called the instep. I tend to use the instep kick more in sparring because i am not very tall and if I hit with the shin kick I am in punching range.[/QUOTE]
TO proporly execute the shin kick correctly you have to be able to jab the target. When you do kick you should, if you miss, make a 360. If they move their front leg then your foot should hook their back leg if you are close enough. This kick will infilt trama to the knee. It will also make the leg go numb. Some people can't walk on their feet for a few days after a good shin kick. This kick is used in many japanese martial arts but is used heavaly in Kick Boxing. Another good thing, if your shins are well conditioned, then you can block the shin kick by taking your back leg and kicking at their shin. IF they haven't trained enough they will not kick again and it will possibly break their shin. I also find that you can put more of your hips behind a shin kick making it more powerful.