Third in the pile...

Posted by: Ronin1966

Third in the pile... - 05/18/04 11:17 AM

Good Morning,

For those of you that do breaking (boards, bricks, stone, bats, ice, etc., etc., etc.)

What is the technique for breaking the object of choice in the pile of X number of objects. (e.g. someone randomly choosing 3rd brick and ONLY the third brick to be broken in the pile of 5 bricks).

How do you practice this technique. It certainly seems to be different than just breaking-crunching all five bricks...

How do you start this practice? How is it done [IMG]http://www.fightingarts.com/forums/ubb/biggrin.gif[/IMG]

[This message has been edited by Ronin1966 (edited 05-24-2004).]

Re: Third in the pile... - 05/20/04 08:55 AM

Good Morning,

"Power" breaking... (to me for whatever its worth), is B-O-R-I-N-G and completely uninteresting. Brain death incarnate... large folks breaking big piles of things <snore>.

Now, I've seen videos as well as live TV demonstrations of the skill (selective breaking). This ability I find interesting...

Any thoughts as to how it is achieved?

Jeff
Posted by: UKfightfreak

Re: Third in the pile... - 05/20/04 02:22 PM

You have got to be kidding?

OK, if you realy want to know...

get 5 bricks, weaken one of them by drilling lots of holes in the middle of the brick (so it looks like a normal brick).

Then pile up the bricks so it is say - the third one down.

Plant an audience member - ask for a volunteer, choose the person you planted (they know which brick has been tampered with).

Now hit the the top brick - preferrably with something like a palm hand to distribute the weight across the top of the brick (so you don't accidentally break the top brick).

..and suddenly the third brick down brakes.

I'm sorry to tell you but this is the only way you are going to pull it off.

Re: Third in the pile... - 05/21/04 09:53 PM

<Sigh> I can see you are politely ~skeptical~ to put it mildly. Pity... why is it such a stretch to think this would not be possible? There are many who would (& do...) say the same for the "common methods" of breaking. "...Its typically fixed, its a trick.. etc."

Hypothetically then (if that's what's required to have this discussion...)
how would/do you go about it...? One caveat, lets start this assuming that it is genuine...

Jeff
Posted by: MikeMartial

Re: Third in the pile... - 05/22/04 12:23 AM

There's physically no way to "transfer" energy through a solid object, and "amplify" it at a certain point, once it has traveled a certain distance. Physics just don't work that way.

UKFF pretty much sums up how it's done. There sure isn't any mystical magic involved.

As energy travels--->resistance--->decrease in energy.

The theory your looking for:
energy travels-->resistance-->increased energy....in the simplest form of physics, this just isn't humanly possible.

Re: Third in the pile... - 05/23/04 04:28 PM

<Physics just don't work that way.>

I do not doubt your words, however nor am I a physics student...

<There sure isn't any mystical magic involved.>

~Mystical magic~ is a different forum on the forum list [IMG]http://www.fightingarts.com/forums/ubb/smile.gif[/IMG]... I am simply asking about the body mechanics here.

And a point of clarification here.... I am not talking about the silly melodrama of the exploding brick/object as was shown in one of the (uggggh) Van Damme movies. What I am genuinely asking about is selective breaking as described in my original message

I can bake/make the bricks fragile, dry the wood in the kiln, drill the ice, whatever the object, with time I assume I can find a way to weaken it which done carefully might get overlooked by the casual observer(s). I am not asking about good illusion(s) of breaking.

There is much science cannot explain easily. In time perhaps it will... and yet with time comes new hypothesis, new understandings... challenges to the "old knowledge"

I merely am asking the question <tiny shrug> theoretically, (or best of all experientially <sp.?> if I dare hope) how would you or I go about doing it?

Jeff

Re: Third in the pile... - 05/30/04 10:34 PM

Anybody have a theoretical idea how this could be done?

Jeff
Posted by: the504mikey

Re: Third in the pile... - 05/31/04 01:24 PM

I think the reason there is so little response is there is not anyone around who is willing to entertain the notion that selective breaking is possible without some kind of trick. I would love to be proven wrong, but I am in the "not possible" camp. I'm just replying so you won't think we're all ignoring you.

[IMG]http://www.fightingarts.com/forums/ubb/smile.gif[/IMG]

Re: Third in the pile... - 05/31/04 08:22 PM

Evening the504mikey:

I fear you are probably right about nobody willing to entertain the idea. Even more amazing given the size of the ENERGY arts forum.... I was mistaken that somebody from that forum would at least attempt an explaination.

The ~kicker~ however is that I also have doubts and am of the SHOW me persuasion. Yet, I cannot deny the video of a demonstration done somewhere in Connecticut by a man named Brown of a few years back. (He also rips phone books in half and rips a deck of cards in half also...).

He's not selling anything and doesn't have a video/book. Far as I'm able to determine, he's just showing people his special technique.

It is a technique of some unknown type. Any one with half a brain should be skeptical, but according to his friends and family its a skill-technique he's had for most of his life. Watching the folks who choose to break/bend baseball bats with their shins, the folks who for some unknown reason need to break through vast piles of bricks, blocks, slabs of ice... I'll ~entertain~ this possibility.

To me at least this is an interesting skill... [IMG]http://www.fightingarts.com/forums/ubb/biggrin.gif[/IMG]

The top and only the top is by far the hardest. The bottom supposedly the easiest.
What's even funnier/sadder in my view is simply if I had called this thread stupid breaking stunts, or breaking is for morons, I suspect I would have drawn a hornets nest... of angry folks.

<<I'm just replying so you won't think we're all ignoring you.

[IMG]http://www.fightingarts.com/forums/ubb/wink.gif[/IMG] At least you are kind... and it is appreciated.

Jeff