body hardening

Posted by: D-Reck

body hardening - 03/30/04 09:27 AM

ANY SUGGESTIONS ABOUT HARDENING THE SHINS< FEET AND HANDS!
Posted by: schanne

Re: body hardening - 03/30/04 11:20 AM

Try a Makiwara, pound on it every day.

Re: body hardening - 04/01/04 08:53 AM

I made one of those, but what about something handhelp, like a joe stick but can be home made. I have been using grape vines taped together and split at the end for my feet and shins! I keep to the makiwara for my hands. what u think about my home made hardening stick!

[This message has been edited by D-Reck (edited 04-01-2004).]
Posted by: UKfightfreak

Re: body hardening - 04/02/04 05:29 AM

[QUOTE]Originally posted by D-Reck:
ANY SUGGESTIONS ABOUT HARDENING THE SHINS< FEET AND HANDS![/QUOTE]

Shins - sparring and heavy bag

feet - sparring, heavy bag and conditioning exercises for the feet such as pulling yourself along on your toes, scrunching up news paper with your toes, jumping on convex, convave surfaces etc.

Hands - sparring, heavy bag and conditioning exercises for the hands such as gripping exercises so chin-ups will help.

Wacking something that doesn't move like a makiwara does little for acuracy in a live environment and only prepares your knuckles, wrist etc. for Impact in a certain way.
Posted by: schanne

Re: body hardening - 04/05/04 01:53 PM

[QUOTE]Originally posted by D-Reck:
ANY SUGGESTIONS ABOUT HARDENING THE SHINS< FEET AND HANDS![/QUOTE]

What are you trying to accomplish? Are conditioning for breaking?

Re: body hardening - 04/07/04 10:18 AM

i'm working towards getting my hands, feet ,and shins as hard as possible to eventually fight professional. I've been looking into breaking and it might be something i would want to do down the road.
I'm trying to suceed for myself as many martial arts pratices as possible and starting with
ju jitsu / tia kickboxing

I'll tell you what my schedule is:
-I start out with hardening the shins and feet with a joe stick, then i go out to my garage and have a bag that i kick to warm up, have a 2/4 board that i kick 50 reps each leg. then kick with my shins 25 reps each leg. go back to the bag and do 100 reps of each leg, and 50 reps with shins. go back inside and use the joe stick agian. done with shins and feet.
For hands i use the makiwara mostly. warm up on the bag and then move to the makiwara and thats it for the hands.
I'm trying to get a high kick as well any streching tips?

[This message has been edited by D-Reck (edited 04-07-2004).]
Posted by: UKfightfreak

Re: body hardening - 04/08/04 12:34 PM

D-Reck - my instructor has four world titles (real titles too ISKA etc.)in Kickboxing (with leg kicks) and has fought at the very top of his game in Thai boxing.

I have spoken to him about the conditioning he has done and in a career spanning 20 years he has only sparred and used the heavy bag for conditioning.
Posted by: Ronin1966

Re: body hardening - 05/23/04 06:08 PM

No need to YELL friend... (lower case letters are polite)

What is your purpose or intent in "hardening" your shins, hands, etc.? Why do you want to do this?

Jeff
Posted by: Ronin1966

Re: body hardening - 05/23/04 06:22 PM

Two additional questions, if I may.

Ever considered asking whomever is training/trained you this far for their counsel how to achieve your goal(s)?

And I am not being sarchastic, I am asking earnestly, genuinely... have you considered learning how to be hit LESS, and being skilled at that technique; body placement, positioning, footwork rather than learning to become a human makiwara post/heavy bag?
It's the opposite end of your current goal... but one you might consider.

Learning to be hit and continue in spite of that, is a common goal, the question becomes is it truly necessary/helpful to "condition" yourself, in the way you describe. Consider will your "professional fights" have no gloves, no shin/foot protective/foot gear of some kind? If so... <shrug> why go that path, virtually any equipment will negate the need for it.

Merely a thought,

Jeff
Posted by: otobeawanker

Re: body hardening - 05/25/04 07:48 AM

Is that not what we dreamed of as children. To have the strength of ten ordinary men. So long as eleven guys don't get togeather and beat the crap out of me Ill be okay.

[This message has been edited by otobeawanker (edited 05-26-2004).]
Posted by: ta_kuan_dao

Re: body hardening - 06/15/05 05:20 PM

I you want to harden your body, i suggest earnestly that you research the subject and techniques completely before you try. There are actual methods to condition your body and without following them and blindly hitting hard objects, you can damage your body real bad.
Posted by: MAGr

Re: body hardening - 06/15/05 06:40 PM

I agree with 'ta_kuan_dao' there are actual techniques to strengthen your body.
I do the hand strengthening technique called iron palm and appart from a little 'accident' I had recently, it works and you will still have usage of your hands in old age, unless you dont care about predicting the weather by the time you are 40!
It takes about 3 years of iron palm training and then you will have achieved al you can.
You might not have the patience for it, but as far as I m concerned, there is no rush with my martial art, and there is no rush with my conditioning.
Your body cannot be taught to break stones overnight without some serious effects on your bones in later on life. And its not the bones thatare the problem its the joint problems you will have.

My advice is:
Find a book called 'iron palm' by Brian Gray and read it and do what he says. The guy knows what he is talking about as you will realise if you read it.
Posted by: Liemann

Re: body hardening - 08/22/05 12:00 PM

Knuckle pushups (the faster you try to push yourself up, the more pressure thay take) and high veolcity loose knuckle-to-wall slaps for hands..

Bottle rolling (dragging really) on the shins, gradually increase pressure and speed and timelimit..

Palmbone, hit stuff with it hard and fast.. A tip on why u may use this insead of a knuckle strike in a self defense purpose. It's faster cause u don't need to clench your fist.
Plus u can grab your opponent fast after you've hit him
Posted by: Gavin

Re: body hardening - 08/23/05 08:11 AM

Quote:

high veolcity loose knuckle-to-wall slaps for hands

Are you serious? Back slapping walls *WILL* damage your hands and is stupid and dangerous advice. Hitting an object harder than the object you're hitting with will cause the object your hitting with to break! Striking walls is nothing but macho BS that will cause you long term injuries!
Posted by: Neko456

Re: body hardening - 08/24/05 01:11 PM

I think gradual conditioning and medication afterwards for health, is the key. Strengthening and toughen the body.

Whats funny is the strange look on the nurses face, when them try pericing your finger tip for blood. She walked away telling the other nurses, "Callaous finger tips, I never heard of such a thing, who in the world or why would someone have callous finger tips"! They peek in the room to look at the freak.

I never thought my fingers tips were calloused. But I never tried to prierce them with a needle either.
Posted by: MikeC

Re: body hardening - 10/11/05 11:28 AM

Body toughening has two purposes, none of which is to harm you. The conditioning of the body is to reduce injuries to you and have more effective technique against an adversary. You should inquire with your teachers and be supervised at the beginning. If you do not have anyone, I would not do this type of training.
Posted by: Leapordsknowbest

Re: body hardening - 11/23/05 10:03 AM

-Knuckle pushups-
My friend does Knuckle push-ups or use to. He says when he punches something his hand hurts. Do knuclke push-ups damage your hands? (P.S not trying to hijack the tred )
Posted by: MattJ

Re: body hardening - 11/23/05 11:31 AM

More on knuckle push-ups:

http://www.fightingarts.com/ubbthreads/showflat.php/Cat/0/Number/15802602/an/0/page/0#15802602
Posted by: BrianS

Re: body hardening - 11/24/05 03:06 AM

Quote:

-Knuckle pushups-
My friend does Knuckle push-ups or use to. He says when he punches something his hand hurts. Do knuclke push-ups damage your hands? (P.S not trying to hijack the tred )

Nope.
Posted by: chickenchaser

Re: body hardening - 11/24/05 01:40 PM

actually those nurses must not be very smart IMHO!!! reason being that callous finger tips come from many occupations such as: roofing,masonry,carpentry,playing the guitar. they all will result in very callous hands ecept the guitar which will only callous the tips of your fingers