how to throw a lead hand hook

Posted by: mikelw

how to throw a lead hand hook - 01/04/04 08:46 PM

I've been messin with this one forever. Can someone give me some instructions on how to do this? I've seen pro boxers throw it and i figured if i could get it down it would be a devastating punch.
Posted by: sophia

Re: how to throw a lead hand hook - 01/04/04 09:16 PM

I try to straighten the lead (usually the left)while swingingfrom the hips. It doesn't fully straighten of course if it's a hook, but that's just the type of movement so that the triceps and pecs get in on the action. Power comes from the hips. See if that helps any next time you train, do tell how it goes.
BTW, can you throw a lead hook at all with any power when backing up? any tips on this would be much apreciated. [IMG]http://www.fightingarts.com/forums/ubb/smile.gif[/IMG]
Posted by: charles mckey

Re: how to throw a lead hand hook - 01/07/04 03:49 PM

[QUOTE]Originally posted by sophia:
BTW, can you throw a lead hook at all with any power when backing up? any tips on this would be much apreciated. [IMG]http://www.fightingarts.com/forums/ubb/smile.gif[/IMG][/QUOTE]

I'd say not - we're taught to throw them with weight on the front foot, which I think would make it difficult to do when moving backwards. I guess you could step, stop and throw, then move again...

I must admit, I generally throw little more than jabs while moving back, should work on that.

Mike, did you see the post in MA Talk, btw -a few answers posted there.
Posted by: Jamoni

Re: how to throw a lead hand hook - 01/07/04 10:17 PM

I have a little move I do. When rushed, do a little stutter step to the outside with your lead leg, then step WAY behind it with your rear leg, causing you to spin towards your rear leg (theres a name for this step, but darned if i can remember it) anyway, as you pivot on your front leg and the opponent goes off to your inside, you throw the lead hook to the side or back of his head, with the momentum generated by the pivot. VERY hard shot, and pretty deceptive, too.
Posted by: Shi Miao Zun

Re: how to throw a lead hand hook - 01/29/04 04:53 AM

A lead hook is not that hard to do once you get the knack of it and you can do it on the retreat also, well i do and have a boxing licence.

The punch depends on the range you are hitting at but in general, if you are going in the opponent is going to be at a further distance, so Ill tell you about that. When i use it I initiate the punch the same as I would a normal lead, this also tends to make the opponent pull thier guard in tighter. as the punch is coming out its direction turns as if the punch were not really aimed at the person and more off to the side, as the arm reaches its full length the body is rotated and the punch whipped in which gives it great sideways force. I also find it best to straighten my body in realtion to the opponent prior to the strike so my shoulders would be flat toward him, if the right arm is moved it also distracts the opponent as he will think you are going for a right cross.

I dont know if this is what you mean, but hopefully it is.
Posted by: JKogas

Re: how to throw a lead hand hook - 02/23/04 03:23 PM

Pivot on the lead foot, keep your elbow at the same level as your fist (many keep it lower and the result is more like a slap).

Practice the mechanics by using an open palm (palm heel hook). For some reason, people seem to pick up the mechanics easier that way). Practice it on a heavy bag. NOTHING teaches you to hit better than a bag.

When the hook is thrown from further out, use a more vertical punch. When it's tight and inside, use a horizontal punch.

Experiment with shifting your weight slightly as you throw the shot, moving the weight from your lead leg toward the opposite side of your body (From left to right in an orthodox stance. This gets body weight into the shot).

-John

[This message has been edited by JKogas (edited 02-23-2004).]
Posted by: Yoseikan Student

Re: how to throw a lead hand hook - 02/24/04 04:30 AM

[QUOTE]Originally posted by JKogas:
NOTHING teaches you to hit better than a bag.

[This message has been edited by JKogas (edited 02-23-2004).]
[/QUOTE]

Sorry to take this out of context.

John, what do you think of focus pads and a good coach behind them? Personally I think that I've improved my bent arms shots much more through that method than on the bag.

If I were to to be given the task of teaching someone how to throw a lead hand hook with only one piece of equipment, I think I'd choose the pads.

Having said that I wouldn't deny the central importance of the bag in developing power shots..

Just interested in what your take on that would be?

Al

[This message has been edited by Yoseikan Student (edited 02-24-2004).]
Posted by: otobeawanker

Re: how to throw a lead hand hook - 05/26/04 05:22 AM

As I Thai boxer this is something i have had a problem with up until a few months ago. For me to balance my lead left hook with my rear right. It was just a matter of practicing it over and over again for hours on a double end bag. Just the lead left hook. Once you got the technique down as good as the more natural right, you can start practicing it in your sparring. Hope that helps.

[This message has been edited by otobeawanker (edited 05-26-2004).]
Posted by: Telepath

Re: how to throw a lead hand hook - 07/02/04 04:56 PM

this is probally my most powerful punch.. leading left hand hook

the way i throw it is i almost kinda step in a diagonal left direction while throwing my hook. This makes my hip rotation and my whole body get behind tha blow. when i throw the punch my whole body turns so that when i am finished i am actually standing st the side of my opponent..

I have knocked out people with this punch, if you can get it right it has ALOT of power...i can't get my rear hand hook so0o i have to rely on this one alot
Posted by: Anonymous

Re: how to throw a lead hand hook - 07/13/04 10:55 AM

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Telepath:
this is probally my most powerful punch.. leading left hand hook

the way i throw it is i almost kinda step in a diagonal left direction while throwing my hook. This makes my hip rotation and my whole body get behind tha blow. when i throw the punch my whole body turns so that when i am finished i am actually standing st the side of my opponent..

I have knocked out people with this punch, if you can get it right it has ALOT of power...i can't get my rear hand hook so0o i have to rely on this one alot
[/QUOTE]

That's just about the exact way i do it. I have trouble getting a good rear hand hook in, so i almost always rely on my leading hook. I agree, that when used that way, you can put alot of power behind it, but with the leading step and hip rotation, it can be fairly easy to read if you've seen it before.
Posted by: Anonymous

Re: how to throw a lead hand hook - 09/26/04 06:20 AM

BTW, can you throw a lead hook at all with any power when backing up? any tips on this would be much apreciated.-sophia

I believe you can, its doesn't seem that hard, I am not a fan of a lead hook, i like the not leading hand hook, more power. but if you take a step back and keep you lead leg planted, and twist your hips, then as you land your foot release you could probably get a good swing out of it. just an idea.
Posted by: otobeawanker

Re: how to throw a lead hand hook - 10/01/04 05:07 PM

Aye, I use that one from time to time. The way I see it, you should always throw something, when you back up from the inside range to the outside range. Throw on exit my one instructer called it.

As far as practicing this, one can shadow box while walking/stepping forwards and backwards across a room.
Posted by: JKogas

Re: how to throw a lead hand hook - 10/17/04 03:12 PM

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Yoseikan Student:

Sorry to take this out of context.

John, what do you think of focus pads and a good coach behind them? Personally I think that I've improved my bent arms shots much more through that method than on the bag.
[/QUOTE]

Focus pads are a great tool for developing mechanics and combinations. But there's no real resistance behind the pads other than when a coach pushes back slightly as the shot comes in.

The heavy bag with its density will clearly demonstrate errors in mechanics because of it's density and weight. Because it's closer to how it actually feels to hit a body (due again to it's larger mass) you learn how you must hit when firing on a larger mass in terms of maximum power delivery. This WILL also influence mechanics. Because if your mechanics are poor, it'll be evident by a lack of power and/or physical PAIN. This feedback just isn't as readily available on focus pads.

But don't get me wrong, pads definitely have a place. Just don't get carried away with them.

If I were to to be given the task of teaching someone how to throw a lead hand hook with only one piece of equipment, I think I'd choose the pads.
[/QUOTE]

I'd choose the bag simply because density develops the mechanics better for hitting density. Its objective specific in other words. Want to learn how to best hit something dense with power? Hit something dense.

Having said that I wouldn't deny the central importance of the bag in developing power shots..

Just interested in what your take on that would be?

Al
[/QUOTE]

I think that pads and the bag are necessary tools and I wouldn't want to be without either one honestly. As a person who has and continues to use both, I'd definitely not have the mechanics that I do if it weren't for the heavy bag. Its objective specific as I mentioned earlier.

Sorry for the delay in answering your query, lol [IMG]http://www.fightingarts.com/forums/ubb/wink.gif[/IMG]

-John

[This message has been edited by JKogas (edited 10-17-2004).]
Posted by: Yoseikan Student

Re: how to throw a lead hand hook - 10/20/04 06:36 AM

Hey John,

no worries man, cheers for the reply.

In my gym, when we really start to get 'rocking' with the pad work, our coach teaches the 'pad man' throw the same shot that the boxer is throwing. Its with an open hand, and with very little arm movement, but it 'greets' the punch with force. It takes a little time for the coordination to fall into place, but essentially what you end up with is an equal and exactly opposing force to the punch. Unlike the bag, which just 'is' and 'receives' however heavy it is, this force moves against the force that you create.

I really like it. It gives confidence and lets the boxer really open up. It also has the advantage of being 'two part work'. That is you are moving with another fighter who can check your form and throw shots back at you.

anyway, I'm planning on being in the States for a few weeks about this time next year, hopefully I can find you and /show/ you what I mean!

cheers

al.

[This message has been edited by Yoseikan Student (edited 10-20-2004).]