1 inch punch?

Posted by: Gawl

1 inch punch? - 12/27/03 02:41 PM

yes well i've herd of the 1 inch punch befoire but i was wondering what style is it taught under?
Posted by: karate-do

Re: 1 inch punch? - 12/28/03 01:45 PM

the one inch punch uses the punching form of the internal arts, bottom 3 knuckles as opposed to other punches like the ones used in karate which use the top two knuckles,its taught in many arts but only at the very end to my knowledge, i know its taught in wing chun and tai chi, you might want to read very detailed books on the subject because it can be learnt from them regardless of what other people say, look lower down this forum and you will see another topic on the one inch punch where i explain the dynamics of the punch
Posted by: Kotetsu

Re: 1 inch punch? - 01/09/04 02:53 PM

Why 1-inch punch anyway? At that range and elbow strike would be much more effective. Besides, that is so close to an opponent that most strikes are kind of impractical anyway(in my mind). It's time to back away, or go for a take down or something.

Re: 1 inch punch? - 01/10/04 12:11 PM

the floating punch wont be done like how youve seen it demonstrated if youve seen it demonstrated, when demonstrated ppl put theyre hand really close to the opponent to show off at how much power it develops from short range, it can be used like a normal punch so it can work at any punching distance from the distance of your arm almost fully straightend to a distance where your arm is bent quite a lot, in a range where you can use your elbow and elbow would be better because its not that good at that distancing, you wouldnt be using maximum reach for it and its slower than an elbow
Posted by: Goju-Ryu

Re: 1 inch punch? - 04/05/04 09:12 PM

The 1 inch punch was made famous by bruce lee, if you want to learn it you could study Jeet Kune Do
Posted by: Horton

Re: 1 inch punch? - 04/24/04 11:29 PM

the one inch punch is achieved i think by flipping ur power hand to the front of ur stance. when i hit the bag with a jab bout one inch off the bag it goes way harder and farther than hitting with my power hand the the back with no weight behind it. since i found this out i only fight that way now with power hand in front

Re: 1 inch punch? - 04/25/04 01:11 PM

ive explained the exact "mechanics" of the punch on the "1 inch punch Vs other punches thread"
Posted by: reaperblack

Re: 1 inch punch? - 04/30/04 06:07 PM

Bruce Lee believe that the right hand should always be in front. Providing that you keep the knuckles of your lead hand below your shoulder and don't lock your hip, you should be able to generate more force than you will ever need. Turn your hip, throw the hand, extend the shoulder.

Re: 1 inch punch? - 05/07/04 06:39 PM

thats just basic technique

Re: 1 inch punch? - 05/10/04 03:11 PM

so is the one inch punch, if you know the mechanics. watch the video of bruce lee doing a one inch punch sometime. It's not complicated, it has very little application, but it's not complicated.
Posted by: Ronin1966

Re: 1 inch punch? - 05/23/04 06:04 PM

The art that made this technique "famous" was Jeet Kun Do of course by Bruce Lee. However it is not a skill that is particular only to that art.

The 1 inch punch is purely about being efficent in your technique. If you are rigid, meaning tense in your body you will not be able to generate power at such a close range.

The one inch techniques demand anything that is not 100% required to perform the technique, to not be tensed, not contracted, not used. The power is generated by committed body weight ~moving as one piece~...

Jeff

[This message has been edited by Ronin1966 (edited 05-23-2004).]
Posted by: Ronin1966

Re: 1 inch punch? - 05/24/04 04:52 PM

Reaperblack,

<It's not complicated, it has very little application, but it's not complicated...>

[IMG]http://www.fightingarts.com/forums/ubb/eek.gif[/IMG] [IMG]http://www.fightingarts.com/forums/ubb/confused.gif[/IMG]

I must have missed something here. Are you suggesting that the ability to use a hand strike from point blank range devistatingly, is not an applicable skill? (We're not talking about elbows, knees, feet, but a hand strike from an inch away... no wind up, no swing...)

I missed something, right <mouth agape>???

Jeff

[This message has been edited by Ronin1966 (edited 05-24-2004).]
Posted by: otobeawanker

Re: 1 inch punch? - 05/25/04 07:36 AM

Start with the two foot cross

Then the 1 foot cross,

Then the six inch cross and so on.

[This message has been edited by otobeawanker (edited 05-26-2004).]

Re: 1 inch punch? - 06/12/04 09:18 PM

don't mistake what i am saying. I am not saying that a one inch hand strike with no windup is without application, but for most practical applications the one inch punch has very little application. For starters it is not very devestating, more like a push really. I don't mean to be judgemental but I just think that there are other more productive techniques to spend your time on. Like learning the pressure points and the correct hands to use them, learning how to strike and shift at the same time, and learning how not to get hit. The one inch punch is such an unnatural act to most people that they will never use it in an actual conflict anyway, because it will take to long to think of and the opportunity will have been missed.
The one inch punch looks cool and it is good to practice the technique to apply some of the principles to your regular punch, but that is really as far as it goes.
Posted by: goldencrane

Re: 1 inch punch? - 06/16/04 04:34 PM

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Horton:
the one inch punch is achieved i think by flipping ur power hand to the front of ur stance. when i hit the bag with a jab bout one inch off the bag it goes way harder and farther than hitting with my power hand the the back with no weight behind it. since i found this out i only fight that way now with power hand in front[/QUOTE]

If you strike with your non lead hand it would not be a jab [IMG]http://www.fightingarts.com/forums/ubb/smile.gif[/IMG]
Posted by: Anonymous

Re: 1 inch punch? - 09/22/04 05:57 PM

Where do i find these videos of a 1 inch punch?

Re: 1 inch punch? - 01/27/05 03:16 PM

reaper stated that "the one inch punch is more like a push", that cannot be more wrong. I studied Wing Chun and Tai Chi, two styles that rely heavily on the theory behind the one inch punch. in application 1 inch punch is a punching philosophy for maximum damage. It is far from a "push", i like to think of it as an internal organ crush. When used correctly, punching to the solar plexes and applying the "internal strength" generated by your elbow, waist, and wrist, it compresses the chest cavity and causes heart failure.

the one inch punch has been used by the chinese for countless years now, and has been known in practice as a fatal technique that should not be applied lightly. in fact, in tai chi it is only taught to the very senior students. one must first learn to contorl their anger before they can learn to kill.

at last, if you had ever been punched by the one inch punch, you'll know that it is not a push. some people who do not truly understand the punch would use it as a push, but in reality it should feel like a shock. the force you feel should be generated in a fraction of a second, and fron the wrist "snapping" and punching through the point of contact. a push is done by making contact then spinning the waist to push the target off balance. there is a huge difference. in fact, if done without padding, a "push" one inch punch will just jolt the opponent backwards, while a true one inch punch without padding will not move the opponant that much, instead it will crumble the chest cavity.

sorry for the long response, its just shocking that one of the most prized techniques of the east is being diminished to a magic show equivalent because of bruce lee.

Re: 1 inch punch? - 02/11/05 04:49 PM

If you want real information over this attack. search google for "tweed palm" from my knowledge, the "1-inch punch" can be with a fist or with the palm (hence the name tweed palm), the reason for this is once you've mastered the attack, it can be used however you wish. its used in "dim-mak" on 9 certain energy meridians, but thats a whole other story (ask me if you want to know). anyways, yes this attack uses internal energy. It's transfering your energy out your hand. A way to practice this technique is to get a GLASS bottle (beer bottle, coke bottle, whatever) make sure its glass. fill the bottle up with about 1 inch of water. sit the bottle down and stand or sit infront of it. place your palm over the top of the bottle (1 inch away from it) with an open palm strike you'll hit the top of the bottle and transfer your energy into it (hit it right in the center of your palm). the only way to break this bottle is with your energy. dont worry, you cant break it with sheer strength, and when the bottle actually does break, it will shatter from the bottom (so you will not cut your hand, dont worry)like i said above, use the open palm strike, just make sure you turn your hand so it is horizontally infront of your body. (in other words, look down at your palm, which should be held at your waist, your palm is face down, now turn it so it is completely horizontal infront of you and you can see the top of your hand) im pretty sure no one will be able to break the bottle with just the info i've given you, and it takes years of practice and hard work to do this right. you will need to know more info about this strike unless you're pretty advances in ki, in which case you probably already know about this strike. in the olden days, this strike was know as the "tweed palm" or first, or strike even. another name of it is iron palm (i think) check it out =) good luck
Posted by: Ace

Re: 1 inch punch? - 05/06/05 10:10 AM

the one inch punch has the potential to make you fly two meters (i have when having it done to me) but is also a variation of the Rising Sun punch (...i think thats wat its called) It works by channeling the power of a forward step (a long one) along with hip rotation, upwards force through the arm using bottom knuckle (as this stops energy being lost through wrist movement) and doing the movement explosively, channeling all of the power BEYOND the point of impact, effectively creating an extreme amount of kenetic energy. It will aslo require redimentry breathing technique, to help ATP muscle power being applied. It is hard to explain, and i admit i havent really, but that is the basic science that allows it to work. Might i also add that it is one of Wing Chun kung fu's many DISPLAY moves, and was created so that practitioners could help develop and understand the principles behind generation of power, and that if you are close enough in a fight to apply it (although there are mid and long-ranged variation) that you would be better off elbowing or kneeing your opponent.
Posted by: someotherguy

Re: 1 inch punch? - 05/06/05 08:09 PM

you don't learn the 1 inch punch, you can just do it when you have proper control and understanding of your body. Bruce Lee didn't invent the 1 inch punch, anyone who tells you this is ignorant.

Re: 1 inch punch? - 05/06/05 09:48 PM

yeh.... but are you saying its impossible to learn untill you have sufficient self control? thats like saying you cant learn how do do a triple spin flying bicycle kick untill you have the proper control of your body. that doesnt change the fact that you still need to have a basic understanding of what the fudementals are of the technique....
Posted by: BaguaMonk

Re: 1 inch punch? - 05/06/05 11:03 PM

Quote:

This is why formalized systems always fail in incorporating this "technique" because it is not really a technique. This kind of awareness and sensitivtiy comes from intrinsic energy, if you formalize it and are able to do it quite well, it will probably not be very effective, even if you send someone flying back, that means NOTHING.People ask "how do you do it" and they want it in specifics, there is no way to do this, the only way to do this is by practicing internal arts, it is a way your body moves and learns that you are able to acquire this skill. The reason why is because there are countless ways for the body to generate this power, I will summarize some for you guys.

In fact, true fa jing shouldn't send them flying back, it should kill them or create an internal injury. In the case of Shaolin arts with these principles, it would break or destroy external bones, or shock the organs by rocking the physical structure.

Here is some a quick summary of some of the bases of some systems.

Taiji: by relaxing and realization that power comes from the whole body, initiated by the mind, one is able to easily have perfect body mechanics, added with concentrated mental intention to hit a specific target. Sensitivity and intrinsic training allow you to instantly sense ANY opening ANYWHERE in the body by either constant contact or quick observation. From ANY position immediately upon which the opening is seen/detected, your body explodes into your exposed opening. Wether this be your shoulder, elbow, knee, head, arm, fist, wrist etc. an entire shockwave will be sent through your body, from the the dan tien (hara) originating from the immediate signal from your mind, all the way down into the ground, back up into the waist, through the arms, into the hands (or whatever your striking with). A true master can create internal injuries even with just his shoulder. All of this in a split second of silk reeling energy.

Taijis is like a bamboo swaying in the wind, it absorbs only as much as it is given, and springs back both the combined force of the opponent and user.

Xingyi: Initiated the same way that taiji (from mind and dan tien), the back leg springs from the ground, the front leg stops and absorbs the momentum, in which the energy comes back up from the ground all the way to the waist and into the fist (or whatever your strikin with). Since countering and attacking are immediately linked together, you are using the opponents momentum (usually your grabbing him pulling him toward you) moving forward, as well as your momentum movign forward, combined with internal concentrated energy and full body power. Very deadly.

Bagua: Bagua teaches you how to also loosen and strengthen your body. From the conditioning (forms) your body becomes loose, and strengthen (chi) in the ligaments of your body. Bagua undulates, twists, compresses, and explodes. It is like an Iron sheet of metal being twisted until it gets white hot in the middle, and explodes. The body mechanics and footwork add to this of course.

Xingyi uses alot of leg compression, and expansaion. In more of a linear way, while Bagua does the same but from ankward positions, and angles. Taiji uses both, but the modern methods mostly incorporate pushing or Chin Na. True Taiji uses many, many strikes. They is to be relaxed, the compression is not done by tensing the physical muscles. Conditioning helps greatly, and is almost necessary if you want to discover the full potential. For the most part, all the training is for reaching an opening in your mind, in which then you are able to do the exact same with almost no form, and no movement. Real masters can push people far away, or strike, without barely moving because of this. They ARE moving and their whole body is still striking, but less becomes more.

Plz read this if you can. Thanks.

PS. The main ways are this, upwards, downwards, and straight. You see, once you realize the basics, and your body has a "feel" for it, you NEVER need to think about specifics again, your body AUTOMATICALLY moves and pushes t he way it should be. This is why too much thinking, and over-thinking it will only lead to average results, as opposed to being natural.The punch was not created by a Japanese master, or Bruce Lee. There is no one way to do it.

I keep hearing this "turn the wrist that way, use these knuckles etc." Thinking like this will hardly produce one inch power, and you will be limited to only ONE way of achieving this. A taiji practicioner can generate this power from any angle, position, or body part. Why? Because it is natural, and comes from being completely free and aware as opposed to restricted by constant mental thought. Fa jing, the true name for one inch power, is as natural as simply moving your hand or arm. That is what you want, not something that you have to think or formalize. If you say "this is the one inch punch, here is exactly how to do it" You will only have on way of generating this power, and in a fighting situation, this is not what you want. It is so natural that it can be achieved in almost countless ways.

Re: 1 inch punch? - 05/07/05 05:26 AM

Ohh, and just for the sake of theBruce Lee arguements, i do believe he learnt the wing chun varient of the one inch punch, so in his case it doesnt stem from JKD, but wing chun, his original martial art style...
Posted by: someotherguy

Re: 1 inch punch? - 05/07/05 02:51 PM

Quote:

yeh.... but are you saying its impossible to learn until you have sufficient self control?

Correct, you cannot do a good one inch punch until you understand how to generate power in a punch in general. you don't LEARN the 1 inch punch, it comes as a consequence of your correct application of general body mechanics. There is no specific "1 inch punch technique" to learn, in JKD or Wing Chun.

You comparison to some mythical bicycle kick is particularly inappropriate. It is the minimizing of a motion. The 1 inch punch is just an example of the application of the various concepts in Wing Chun

Re: 1 inch punch? - 05/07/05 04:40 PM

I do not think Bruce Lee learned from "WC." But it was certainly at the core of his martial experience and what would eventually lead him to discover how to generate this power. What really helped was internal practices, he was obviously known for meditating, and he descrbes wu wei (or the wuji state of mind), as if in no-mindedness, in pretty good detail. He was known to practice internal arts in private, he even demonstrated the entire yang form at least once (he did criticize them alot though). If you look at the video, his whole body shakes. In comparison to an internal stylist, his internal power is actually kind of weak, or maybe just the manifestation of it. Either way until I started learning and understanding arts, it USED to be impressive.

This power can be used to break arms, chin na, etc. For example, once you have somebody twisted or grabbed in Tai ji Chin Na, you use this explosive energy to simply break the arm. It can be used for jumping, shit almost anything, it all comes down to the mind, and how it can lead every ounce of muscular body mechanics, and the natural energies in the body to accomplish one task.

Re: 1 inch punch? - 05/08/05 06:08 AM

Agreed, bruce Lee was renowned for training non stp all day, whether it be shadow boxing while walking down the street, or carrying a dumbell round with him, or whatever else he did... but it was also well known that he dabbled in many types of drugs and was known for using steroids, but still, just small things he would do all day, including walking on the balls of his feet, gave him conditioning many other people wouldnt have, merely cause they dont do enough.

Re: 1 inch punch? - 05/09/05 04:13 PM

What you said just brought chills down my spine Ace. I never knew Bruce did that, I do stuff like that, and have, all my life. For example: When I got up stairs I only go up on the VERY edges, on the VERY tips of my feet, and VERY fast. When I see an obstacle, I jump over it elegantly. When I'm on a sidewalk, I balance and walk along the side of it. I'm always in the mood for sparring, and sometimes envision a practicioner who creates openings for me to strike. Whenver I'm alone somewhere, and no one sees me (aka an elevator, waiting, etc.) I always practice Bagua footwork, or move my arms in acoordancee to my waist (simulated blocks) etc. I don't really take dumbells with me or anything like that, but my mind always does that kind of stuff.

Interesting, perhaps that is why I'm such a quick learning in martial arts. I never really though about the positive effects have on me until now, but its always just been kind of for fun. I should look at it in a more "training" approach, and schedule certain things, maybe it will help.

Re: 1 inch punch? - 05/10/05 05:46 AM

You learn something new everyday, dont you? i also did lots of this untill recently, when i did a complex tear to the lateral side of my minisculis... guess thats what i get for dabbling in martial arts... lol, but yes, it not only increases your alertness and co-ordination/conditioning/mindframe, but helps if youve got a bunch of skin heads looking at you who decide not to give you a group hug because they have just seen you punch a hole through that tree... lol
Posted by: Neb

Re: 1 inch punch? - 05/10/05 09:52 AM

Quote:

I do not think Bruce Lee learned from "WC." But it was certainly at the core of his martial experience

Have u forgotten the JKD was Bruce Lee's OWN style and that he made it from other styles he learnt he was taught just like us... he was just exeptionally good. He made it famous but I doubt he created the technique...
Posted by: Bodiharma

Re: 1 inch punch? - 05/10/05 10:17 AM

Bruce Lee created Jeet Kune Do, he studied Wing Chun for a little while, First Form, Second, and the Wooden Dummy, then he moved to the USA.
Posted by: Bodiharma

Re: 1 inch punch? - 05/10/05 10:18 AM

what he did after that i dont know.

Re: 1 inch punch? - 05/10/05 12:33 PM

No I never forgot. I meant that he didn't learn the method from WC. Mostly from internal training. Yes I know what JKD is, I view it more as philosophy than a martial art. I think it kind of contradicts itself if it attempts to be a formalized martial art with formalized techniques. I don't even like to call it a "technique," because as so you are limiting yourself to the almost limitless ways of using this type of energy.
Posted by: -orangesiscool-

Re: 1 inch punch? - 05/18/05 02:50 PM

just too clear something up, Jeet Kune Do isn't really a martial arts style, if you want to know more about it, go to brucelee.com. and read bruce lee's documentation on it.
Posted by: Neko456

Re: 1 inch punch? - 05/23/05 05:13 PM

I think all styles have a version of this short punch 1-6 inch punch.

I've seen it in boxing via Joe Lewis & Ray Robinson, and Karate system with fingers extended than rolled into a punch, in Goju the undercut method body rolled fist barely moves, the WC rocking knuckle method, the Taichi & Kempo foreknuckle to a solid veritcle punch and the closest and most impressive Pakua's vibrating palm (the shortest distance)raised just off the chest to compression.

In most cases the guy holding the book or pad is knocked across the room as if kicked. With the Pakua palm, just pop drop the guy holding the pad, like a rag doll, feet leaves the ground and drops straight down.
Posted by: Neko456

Re: 1 inch punch? - 05/23/05 05:35 PM

BauguaMonk

Impressive explaination but few can follow the intriacate details of your Grand Ultimate example its is a good attempt to explain in short that it takes years if not decades to master and use such skills. The baisc 1-6 inch punch demo can be taught in short order of compared to the time it takes to develope this process into a powerful useful weapon or method of healing, that attacks or heal the internal organs and chi merdians. It takes decades of training. That was a great synopsis on this deep topic.

Thanks I'm printing this one out.

Re: 1 inch punch? - 05/23/05 06:10 PM

Thanks alot. Well, in short, I guess I was just saying that by "opening your mind," you don't need set techniques to achieve this. Once you know how the body moves naturally, it becomes very easy to generate it instantly. All it really takes, is a combination of instincts, mental control, relaxation, and awareness/sensitivty. All of the modern, and external arts, derive their ideas from traditional internal arts (like bagua and taiji). They are just formalized into one set routine/technique, and then expounded upon.

Only reason why I emphasized it, is because I see alot of karate and external schools formalize the "external" effects. Or rather, the after affects after "fa jing" and then go "oooh, did you see, his waist moved that way, his fist went this way, etc." and then they imitate, and sometimes get pushing power. But nothing extraordinary. They don't look at the "root" of how you do it, nor do they understand whats going on "inside."

The best way to practice, IMO is this. Stand at whatever best suits the technique you are going to use (punch etc.) Clear your head completely, stay relaxed, and breathe in through the stomach. Then, in one split second, without over-thinking or buildup, release everything you have into one relaxed and natural punch. Think, for one second "letting yourself go," you shouldn't even realize you'd done it, until a few seconds later. Of course your whole body has to be behind it, it shouldn't just be your punch that flies out, but your whole body immediately. Like a sneeze, immediately explode (your whole body). Think about an animal, or a tiger, and the way it sits calm, until it just explodes and leaps out, takes its prey out instinctively and ruthlessly.

The same principle applies to a Kia, and pretty much anything else.
Posted by: jkdwarrior

Re: 1 inch punch? - 05/23/05 09:46 PM

Quote:

for most practical applications the one inch punch has very little application. For starters it is not very devestating, more like a push really.

If you punch is more like a push, then you aren't using correct technique.

Re: 1 inch punch? - 05/28/05 09:34 PM

True

btw, fa jing is pretty much, extremely hard to do without internal training of some sort. Usually people learn how to willingly lead their natural energies in their body, before they are ever able to release expolsive power.
Posted by: MAGr

Re: 1 inch punch? - 06/02/05 10:42 AM

I dont know if this has been said before, because although i read most of the posts i did not read all of them.
The one inch punch is part of a general principle that is present in a lot of martial arts, but has been developed in chinese ones mainly. Its all about inch force. Whether it is with a punch or a palm strike, or a sword or a pole. The principle applies to the fact that if one hand is in a block and the other hand in a punch, it is a lot quicker to punch from where your blocking hand is already rather than winding up and telegraphing. The same with the pole, it is quicker to snap at somones head rather than swing it like a baseball bat. The inch force principle just tries to develop that quick explosion so that your techniques become quicker.
There are several ways to develop it and there are people who will support external and some people internal methods, i am not saying which way is right, but note:
It is a principle that is applied, anyone who says it is not really applied, they have not studied the art, and anyone who syas it doesnt do anything has obviously not felt one performed properly.
It all ties in with the respective wing chuns fighting principles of economy, and directness, and speed. It does get used in application and it is usefull at close range:
imagine if you have just blocked an attack and your blocking hand is 6 inches from his face, you can then punch without shifting anything, that is a very useful skill.
Posted by: MattJ

Re: 1 inch punch? - 06/02/05 11:18 AM

Quote by MAGr -

Quote:

It all ties in with the respective wing chuns fighting principles of economy, and directness, and speed. It does get used in application and it is usefull at close range:
imagine if you have just blocked an attack and your blocking hand is 6 inches from his face, you can then punch without shifting anything, that is a very useful skill.

Hmmmm....that is the theory, but in practice, it is quite difficult to do on a resisting opponent. Several factors make it hard to apply -

* Opponent (target) will move

* Opponent will be trying to upset your balance

* Opponent may try to limit your joint movement

Etc.

1/3 inch punch concept valid as a way to enhance power in your strikes, not really useful in the literal sense in combat.
Posted by: MAGr

Re: 1 inch punch? - 06/03/05 07:27 AM

I completely agree that, on a resisting opponent who is moving all the time its not as easy to apply as a technique of the one inch punch.
The reason it exists however is that it teaches you correct body allignment and power derivation so that you can punch without a wind up, and without telegraphing. It basically teaches you to punch with as much power as possible from the position you are already in, or your hands are already in.

And you said it: an opponent will try to limit your joint movement, so in that case it would be very usefull if you knew how to generate power with little joint movement.
In any case i am not claiming that it is the all-powerfull chi ball that its built up to be, but certainly usefull within the principles of economy of motion and speed

Re: 1 inch punch? - 06/07/05 09:37 PM

It is useful if the art pretty much centers around it. Taiji for example uses it all the time, it doesn't matter what part of your body makes contact with theirs, energy can be directed (and redirected) to that point in any direction. You "sense" the openings, so you would never use it unless there was no doubt you could. Real Taiji applications are quite brutal, because like all other internal arts, you are not only using your explosive energy, but you are "sucking them in" and redirecting their own force directly into your explosive force. Of course the more compassionate ones just redirect their energies away, but in reality, it should not be away, but into the ground (face first if need be).

Bagua for example, will allow you to use this type of energy from various angles, even ankward ones, not just linear ones.