Joint angles and resistance

Posted by: Alagon

Joint angles and resistance - 04/09/02 08:04 AM

Anyone know where I can obtain information on maximum joint rotations and forces required to dislocate said joints.

cheers,
Alagon
Posted by: nuthinflash

Re: Joint angles and resistance - 04/22/02 11:56 PM

Stretching Scientifically by Stadion Publishing has a chart in it's appendices of normal ranges of movement in a joint, I have found it quite a good resource.

As far as dislocation goes IMHO it's not so much just *force* but a combination of torquing the joint, applying the opponents body weight to it and giving it a "Jerk" with enough follow through to dislocate.

Everyone has a slightly different range of movement from joint to joint, this makes providing one specific force formula difficult to provide. It is also affected by muscle strength and tension as well as the quality of various connective tissues.

Sorry it's not the most informative reply, but it's a start [IMG]http://www.fightingarts.com/forums/ubb/redface.gif[/IMG] )

Cheers
Posted by: bunkaikid

Re: Joint angles and resistance - 01/13/03 11:38 AM

I'm not sure how much there is on the written end, I'm sure it is someplace, but I have heard that through the use of angle and direction, and also involving manipulation of nerves can cause joint disruption. I do not believe you need excessive force to dislocate at the joint. I am guessing that if you attack the joint properly at its weakest spot, you will get the result desired.
Does this make any sense?

BK
Posted by: senseilou

Re: Joint angles and resistance - 02/01/03 12:05 AM

Everyone has their own methods of Joint Locking and dislocating. I happen to study 4 different Jujutsu styles and they all approach this differently. Now......I believe it is how you apply the lock, at what angle you do it, and how you move your body with the lock. Simply, look at a downward block, which could be a wrist lock. If you apply the wrist to the attacker, and step back to an angle say 45' to the attacker, he most likely will not be able to keep his body up to the lock, and bingo you have dislocation or break. One of my Arts, San Jitsu Ryu, stresses breaking of the bones as well and employs spiral breaks vs. straight clean breaks. This is acheived by rotation of the joint and the angle taken and the movement of your body. Doing any body movement, like going into a cat stance with a lock, does more damage to the wrist because you are dropping your weight, then the angles come into play.
It is hard to say how much torque or power is needed for dislocation or breaks as in case of the dislocation, flexibility of the attacker comes into play. I have though see very flexible people and people who resist technique, drop to their knees when a lock is performed at the proper angle to them and moving your body and establishing a strong base.